IX83, OptiMOS, FreeSerialPort via tcp

tron
Hi,
I'm trying to setup an IX83 with a QImaging OptiMOS in a lab, after other
unsuccessful tries.
there seems to be some kind of incompatibility, so i have a bunch of doubts
on areas I would love some help.

1) There is history that points that 1.4.21 is the best/last working version
for IX83 support, but Arthur has told me that 1.4.23 should work, and I
would like to know if 2.0 beta/gamma would even be workable. Drivers seem to
be closed source on Olympus call.
Is there a known issue with 1.4.22 / 1.4.23 ?
Is there any kind of possible support with 2.0 beta? Gamma ?

2) In the mean time, I'm trying to get a MM1.4.21 to control the IX83, and a
MM2.0 to control the camera, and was targeting the use of FreeSerialPort on
the Camera MM to talk to a python server launching a IX83 MM. I guess a
runnable script on the camera MM could command the IX83 shutter.
Sounds right ?

BTW, when playing with FreeSerialPort (on a MM 1.4.22), I discovered that
setSerialPortCommand() would fail when called with the name of a tcp backed
serial port. I got it working with the "long name" that is returned by
getLoadedDevices().

Also, when playing with starting MM from python, I bumped on a problem with
some night builds.
(like the DLL not being ok , _MMCorePy, using python 2.7)

-----
--
Carlos G Mendioroz

Carlos G Mendioroz

Re: IX83, OptiMOS, FreeSerialPort via tcp

Petro
Hi Carlos.

As far as I remember only 1.4.21 works with IX83 frame. With other versions I was not able to configure the microscope. But I tried it about 1.5-2 years ago. Controller was crashing. Even if using 1.4.21 I have found it extremely unstable and crashing frequently if other equipment (camera, shutters, lasers spectrograph) were connected. Delay between commands was helping a bit. At the end I gave up on MM and IX81 and moved my setup on an old DMIRE2 which was controllable via comport.
If you use python search GitHub for your equipment. There is a high chance you can find driver witch works with python  without MM.
Best.
Petro.

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019, 16:21 tron <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Petro,
thanks for the info. Unfortunatelly, the only code on GitHub I could
find related to IX83 is a uM frontend (pskeshu/deepthought).
It's a pity that the driver is closed source so there's not really much
one can do when facing trouble.

-Carlos

Piter_ @ 26/04/2019 04:12 -0300 dixit:

> Hi Carlos.
>
> As far as I remember only 1.4.21 works with IX83 frame. With other
> versions I was not able to configure the microscope. But I tried it
> about 1.5-2 years ago. Controller was crashing. Even if using 1.4.21 I
> have found it extremely unstable and crashing frequently if other
> equipment (camera, shutters, lasers spectrograph) were connected. Delay
> between commands was helping a bit. At the end I gave up on MM and IX81
> and moved my setup on an old DMIRE2 which was controllable via comport.
> If you use python search GitHub for your equipment. There is a high
> chance you can find driver witch works with python  without MM.
> Best.
> Petro.
>
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2019, 16:21 tron <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>     I'm trying to setup an IX83 with a QImaging OptiMOS in a lab, after
>     other
>     unsuccessful tries.
>     there seems to be some kind of incompatibility, so i have a bunch of
>     doubts
>     on areas I would love some help.
>
>     1) There is history that points that 1.4.21 is the best/last working
>     version
>     for IX83 support, but Arthur has told me that 1.4.23 should work, and I
>     would like to know if 2.0 beta/gamma would even be workable. Drivers
>     seem to
>     be closed source on Olympus call.
>     Is there a known issue with 1.4.22 / 1.4.23 ?
>     Is there any kind of possible support with 2.0 beta? Gamma ?
>
>     2) In the mean time, I'm trying to get a MM1.4.21 to control the
>     IX83, and a
>     MM2.0 to control the camera, and was targeting the use of
>     FreeSerialPort on
>     the Camera MM to talk to a python server launching a IX83 MM. I guess a
>     runnable script on the camera MM could command the IX83 shutter.
>     Sounds right ?
>
>     BTW, when playing with FreeSerialPort (on a MM 1.4.22), I discovered
>     that
>     setSerialPortCommand() would fail when called with the name of a tcp
>     backed
>     serial port. I got it working with the "long name" that is returned by
>     getLoadedDevices().
>
>     Also, when playing with starting MM from python, I bumped on a
>     problem with
>     some night builds.
>     (like the DLL not being ok , _MMCorePy, using python 2.7)
>

>     -----
>     --
>     Carlos G Mendioroz
>     --
>     Sent from: http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/

Carlos G Mendioroz  <[hidden email]>

Carlos G Mendioroz

Re: IX83, OptiMOS, FreeSerialPort via tcp

Sunil

Hi all,

For reference, we have an IX83 that has been/is being used with 1.4.20, 2.0 beta (20180422) and 2.0 gamma (20190211). The main issues we seem to have on a regular basis are intermittent unresponsiveness during multidimensional acquisitions, and also when the manual focus controller is used (display window not updating for 10s of seconds). Other than that, the turret, cube cassette, shutters, lamp etc all seem happy enough for the most part.

Regards,

Sunil

Re: IX83, OptiMOS, FreeSerialPort via tcp

tron
I guess this could help someone in the future, regaring FreeSerialPort:
(Thanks to Lukas Lang for some advise on using it)

You have to be careful to use the proper device for each method:

o  mmc.setSerialPortCommand/mmc.getSerialPortAnswer: Here, the “port” is
“TCP/IP serial port adapter (1)” (or whatever the port itself is called,
not the “FreeSerialPort” device). Using these methods, you get full
control over what to send and when to wait for an answer. As I
understand it, the FreeSerialPort device is only used to open the serial
port initially, so it can be used by Micro-Manager.
o  mmc.setProperty(“FreeSerialPort”, “Command”,
command)/mmc.getProperty(“FreeSerialPort”,”Response”): This method uses
the “Command”/”Response” properties of the “FreeSerialPort” device (you
need to set the Command/Response terminators via the respective
properties). Here you do: setProperty(…) to send a command, and
getProperty(…) to read the response. Note that after sending a command,
the “FreeSerialPort” always waits for a response. So if your device
doesn’t send one, this method will not work.

You can use this command to get the name of the associated serial port
from the FreeSerialPort device:

mmc.getProperty("FreeSerialPort", "Port")

(just change “FreeSerialPort” to the name of your FreeSerialPort device
in case you changed it)

--
Carlos G Mendioroz  <[hidden email]>

Carlos G Mendioroz

IX83, OptiMOS, FreeSerialPort via tcp

tron
Thanks Sunil,
yesterday I was able to pinpoint was I guess was the problem all along:
The Photometrics PVCAM installation includes an IEEE 1394 Thesycon
driver that overwrites (if not disabled) the Olympus driver.
I was able to install the Olympus drivers and then the PCIe PVCAM driver
(3.6.5.1) for the OptiMOS. uM 2.0 Gamma (20190426) recognized both w/o
problem.

We'll see how stable it behaves. Next project seems to be an XY
stage control...

-Carlos

Kumar, Sunil @ 26/04/2019 08:13 -0300 dixit:

> Hi all,
>

> For reference, we have an IX83 that has been/is being used with 1.4.20,
> 2.0 beta (20180422) and 2.0 gamma (20190211). The main issues we seem to
> have on a regular basis are intermittent unresponsiveness during
> multidimensional acquisitions, and also when the manual focus controller
> is used (display window not updating for 10s of seconds). Other than
> that, the turret, cube cassette, shutters, lamp etc all seem happy
> enough for the most part.
>

> Regards,
>
> Sunil

Carlos G Mendioroz  <[hidden email]>  LW7 EQI  Argentina