Image freezing problem seen with Hamamatsu cameras

Image freezing problem seen with Hamamatsu cameras

Francois St-Pierre-2
Dear uManager users/creators,

I see that v1.3.43 should "fix image freezing problem seen with
Hamamatsu cameras". Can anyone expand on the exact phenotype (and
context in which it is observed) of these image freezing problems?

I'm asking because I've been having intermittent BSoD (blue screen of
death) in the middle of my time-lapse acquisitions, with the error
"Multiple_IRQ_Complete_Request". Only the fault reporting program
(i.e. faultrep.dll) was mentioned in the error. These BSoD do not
occur when I'm not running acquisitions.

A couple of sources suggested these problems could be due to a problem
with the driver of my camera, an Hamamatsu Orca-AG (Model
C4742-80-AG). Using uManager v1.3.43, I therefore decided to create a
new config file which the Hamamatsu camera on, but with demo scope,
shutters, etc. Using Multi-D acquisition, I just ask uManager to keep
taking pictures. I found that the acquisition would sometimes stall
indefinitely before reaching the required image count (but way before
running out of hard drive space...). Is this what is meant by "Image
freezing problems"? If so, they are apparently still there in uManager
v1.3.43.

When making my initial tests, I was using the following DCAM driver/module:
Driver date: 7/10/2009
Driver version: 9.14.12.3153
DCAM: 3.00.912.3153

I have now upgraded to:
Driver date: Dec 2009
Driver version: 9.20.6.3245
DCAM: 3.0.302.3245 for Orca-R2

I'm currently repeating the test...

Best,

Francois

--
Francois St-Pierre, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral fellow

Re: Image freezing problem seen with Hamamatsu cameras

Hoover, Karl
Hi Francois,

We've got an Orca c4742. The issue observed here was that intermittantly, the microManager program would freeze completely during live mode display. I tracked down some of the events to a 'time out' being flagged by the Hamamatsu camera driver. Unfortunately, even if the timeout time was increased, the Hamamatsu was still reporting timeout.

Therefore, currently, there is still an intermittant timeout condition from the c4742, but  microManager no longer freezes in this case and the next live mode or snap or acquisition always works fine.

The call into Hamamatsu's library is as follows:

      if (!dcam_wait(camera_->m_hDCAM, &dwEvent, lnTimeOut, NULL))

and, as I mentioned previously, even if i make the 'lnTimeOut' parameter 10X larger, there is still a timeout flagged intermittantly (after a noticeable delay), i.e. dcam_getlasterror returns 0x80000106.  It seems we need some help from Hamamatsu themselves in this case.

The Hamamatsu software version information is, in part as follows:

Camera Driver: hama1394.sys   10/23/2008   version 9.13.6.1
DCAM library:   dcamapi.dll    3.00.301.2948
Firewire hardware is  Texas Instruments TSB82AA2 1394b OHCI-Lynx IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Firewire driver version:  5.1.2535.7

Some more information about this is that the Orca provides two scan modes - 1 & 2. We found that mode 2 is much more reliable than mode 1, so I recommend you ensure you're using mode 2.

Also we've got a issue in microManager wherein errors reported from Live Mode, though they are correctly captured and logged, are not, however, displayed on the screen for the user. This issue is in our list of tickets.

Best Regards,
Karl Hoover

FS

Re: Image freezing problem seen with Hamamatsu cameras

FS
Hi Karl,

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply. As far as I can understand, the imaging freezing problem should have no bearing on the stalling I observed during image acquisition, or on the Blue Screens of Death I experienced. Is that right?

best,

Francois

Hoover, Karl wrote
[...]

We are not seeing the BSoD errors at this time - I have not seen BSoD's on the systems with the Hamamatsu cameras. Your approach to double check that the software drivers are updated to the latest versions seems a reasonable stratetgy.

Best Regards,
Karl Hoover