Invalid property errors

Bernard Willers
Hi there,

I'm still working on my photron camera driver, and it is coming along
nicely with all major functionality in tact. However, sporadically I
get an invalid property name error. Sample log file attached below.

My question is in two parts,
a) Is it possible to make the exception that is thrown include the
name of the invalid property somehow? and
b) Are there any properties that a camera device is expected to have
by the core? I.e. could this problem be due to the fact that the core
is trying to access some property I haven't defined?

Thanks

Bernard

LOG(2010-04-14T17:12:06.546875, 3924, 00178D38:): >
Error code: 22
SV200
Fastcam Device. Invalid property name encountered.  in
Thread[AWT-EventQueue-0,6,main]
java.lang.Exception: Error code: 22
SV200
Fastcam Device. Invalid property name encountered.

        at mmcorej.MMCoreJJNI.CMMCore_getProperty(Native Method)
        at mmcorej.CMMCore.getProperty(CMMCore.java:173)
        at org.micromanager.MMStudioMainFrame.updateGUI(MMStudioMainFrame.java:2876)
        at org.micromanager.MMStudioMainFrame.refreshGUI(MMStudioMainFrame.java:3575)
        at org.micromanager.PropertyEditor$PropertyEditorTableData.setValueAt(PropertyEditor.java:300)
        at javax.swing.JTable.setValueAt(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.JTable.editingStopped(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.AbstractCellEditor.fireEditingStopped(Unknown Source)
        at org.micromanager.utils.PropertyValueCellEditor.access$500(PropertyValueCellEditor.java:24)
        at org.micromanager.utils.PropertyValueCellEditor$6.actionPerformed(PropertyValueCellEditor.java:118)
        at javax.swing.JComboBox.fireActionEvent(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.JComboBox.setSelectedItem(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.JComboBox.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboPopup$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboPopup$1.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)

Re: Invalid property errors

Hoover, Karl
Hi Bernard,

I see that UpdateGUI appears in your trace. UpdateGUI is requesting the "binning" property , have you defined it?

Karl

Re: Invalid property errors

Bernard Willers
Hi Karl,

I have indeed defined a binning property, although at the moment I'm
not handling binning so it isn't wired up to anything:

        nRet = CreateProperty(MM::g_Keyword_Binning, "1", MM::Integer, true);
        assert(nRet == DEVICE_OK);

I see now that there's a set property in that trace, so the fact that
I've got it as read only might be the cause. I'll test this asap.

By the way, how did you divine from that trace that the binning
property is the offending one?

Thanks

Bernard

On 15 April 2010 12:45, Hoover, Karl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Bernard,
>
> I see that UpdateGUI appears in your trace. UpdateGUI is requesting the "binning" property , have you defined it?
>
> Karl

Time-lapse stops without apparent reason

Alicia Piera
Hello!
Some times during time lapse acquisition the acquisition will stop after some time without any error messages or apparent reason.
It can happen in three fashions:
1. The µmanager program is just closed when I come back. (The automatic updates are disabled)
2. µmanager is working and the acquisition is apparently working but no pictures are being acquired.
3. µmanager is working but the acquisition is stopped.
Any ideas why this is happening and how to solve this problem?
Thanks a lot,
Alicia

I see that UpdateGUI appears in your trace. UpdateGUI is requesting the "binning" property , have you defined it?

Karl

Re: Time-lapse stops without apparent reason

jdhardin
<base href="x-msg://27/">Dear Alicia,

This has happened to me after hundreds of time points (randomly) in a 4d acquisition. it had to do with the USB-to-serial port adapter code in MicroManager, and the error messages are not informative, but troubleshooting identified this as the problem. I know that it's the serial port code, as when I write my own custom code using a different driver with the rest of the micromanager code in an ImageJ plugin it solves the issue. I'm pretty sure that issue has never been resolved, but I might be wrong. I did talk to the MicroManager folks at the American Soc. for Cell Biol. meetings in December again about it.

Best,

Jeff

Jeff Hardin

Professor and Chair, Department of Zoology

Director, Biology Core Curriculum

University of Wisconsin

1117 W. Johnson St.

Madison, WI 53706

voice: (608) 262-9634

fax: (608) 262-7319

email: [hidden email]

web page: http://worms.zoology.wisc.edu

On Apr 19, 2010, at 8:45 AM, Alicia Piera wrote:

Hello!
Some times during time lapse acquisition the acquisition will stop after some time without any error messages or apparent reason.
It can happen in three fashions:
1. The µmanager program is just closed when I come back. (The automatic updates are disabled)
2. µmanager is working and the acquisition is apparently working but no pictures are being acquired.
3. µmanager is working but the acquisition is stopped.
Any ideas why this is happening and how to solve this problem?
Thanks a lot,
Alicia

Re: Time-lapse stops without apparent reason

Hoover, Karl
Hello Alicia,

Some more information would be helpful.

On the page:

http://valelab.ucsf.edu/~nico/MMwiki/index.php/Micro-Manager_FAQ

In the section:

"Something does not work. What do I do?"

There is described the procedures that will help us track down the specific problem you are encountering.

Also, it is helpful for us to know how large are the data sets being acquired. - Total number of images, size of each image, etc.

Best Regards,
Karl Hoover

________________________________
I see that UpdateGUI appears in your trace. UpdateGUI is requesting the "binning" property , have you defined it?

Karl

Re: Time-lapse stops without apparent reason

Alicia Piera
Dear Karl,
Last time I was acquiring 30 positions, 300 frames,1 picture every 8 min. The size of the images is 1392x1040 pixels, that´s 2,8 MB each frame.
This time it stopped after 50 frames, but it can stop after 5 frames or after 150.
I´ll check the website.
Thanks a lot for you help.
All the best,
Alicia

I see that UpdateGUI appears in your trace. UpdateGUI is requesting the "binning" property , have you defined it?

Karl

Re: Time-lapse stops without apparent reason

Alicia Piera
Dear Karl,
I use Windows XP. I have a Coolsnap HQ camera, Nikon Eclipse Ti Microscope, a lambda shutter, a XY-stage controlled through a Ludl-controller and an Intensilight lamp. My configuration file is attached.
I don't get any error messages and the problem appears randomly, that means most of the times my acquisition finishes normally. For the acquisitions I'm using the Perfect Focus System(Nikon).
Thanks again,
Alicia

I see that UpdateGUI appears in your trace. UpdateGUI is requesting the "binning" property , have you defined it?

Karl

MMConfig_Lambdashutter2.cfg (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Time-lapse stops without apparent reason

Truant, Ray

Random stoppage may be due to defective RAM.

You can quickly run Memtest

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

The other potential hardware problem may be in the serial cables.

Sounds like something is randomly timing out.

Dr. Ray Truant Ph.D

Associate Professor

McMaster University

Department of Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences

Chair, Huntington Society of Canada Scientific Advisory Board

HSC4N54, 1200 Main Street West

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8N3Z5

905-525-9140 ex.22450

905-522-9033 Fax

905-515-5526 blackberry

Skype ray.truant

www.RaytruantLab.ca

www.Macbiophotonics.ca

I see that UpdateGUI appears in your trace. UpdateGUI is requesting the "binning" property , have you defined it?

Karl

Re: Time-lapse stops without apparent reason

Hoover, Karl
Hi Alicia,

Also the corelog.txt would be really helpful. The suggestions pointing to possible hardware problems are pertinent. We are working, precisely at this time, on improvements to the stability of the Serial port manager, the NikonTi device adapter, and the multi-d acquisition. Tracking down exactly what's going wrong when your acquisition sequences fail would help us a lot.

Best Regards,
Karl Hoover