Java crash on startup

bugalo
Hi,

we are having the following problem with our microscope setup. Every time we
turn on the microscope and start Micromanager, we get a java crash. If we
close the program and start Micromanager again, it will work normally (in
some occasions, it will crash again and we will need to start Micromanager a
third time). This only happens when loading the configuration file, if we
start Micromanager without selecting a configuration file, it will not
crash, but if we then choose "Tools / Load Hardware Configuration", it will
also crash.

Finally, once we are able to start Micromanager (after the initial crash),
we can close it and open it again, and it will not crash afterwards. That
is, unless we turn off and on the microscope, in that situation,
Micromanager crashes again on start.

We are using Windows 7 64bit, and the crash happens both with Micromanager
1.4.22 stable and 2.0 beta.

Regarding the actual error, we get a window stating "Java(TM) Platform SE
binary has stopped working". When clicking on "View problem details", it
says:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: javaw.exe
  Application Version: 6.0.310.5
  Application Timestamp: 4f2c9b18
  Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
  Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.23677
  Fault Module Timestamp: 589c9a27
  Exception Code: e06d7363
  Exception Offset: 000000000001a06d
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID: 2057
  Additional Information 1: 89c4
  Additional Information 2: 89c437f3a4509a9449cccd478e6a1a7a
  Additional Information 3: 70eb
  Additional Information 4: 70eb5101d3580e682020fd257cc58d8f

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy
statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I was able to replicate the crash doing a "Problem Report", and I attach the
log generated.

I would really thank if anyone can point us in the right direction to fix
this issue.

Problem_Report_send.txt
<http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/file/t397051/Problem_Report_send.txt>

Re: Java crash on startup

bugalo
I've done some more testing, and I think I've narrowed down the problem, but
I need some help understanding what is happening and how to fix it.

In my configuration file, I originally had the following Startup presets:

# Group: System
# Preset: Startup
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,TIEpiShutter,State,0
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,TIFilterBlock1,Label,4------
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,TIFilterBlock2,Label,1------
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,TILightPath,Label,3-Right100
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,CSUW1-Drive Speed,Run,On
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,AndorLaserCombiner,DOUT5,0
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,LMM5-Hub,Transmission (%) 405nm-1,0.0000
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,LMM5-Hub,Transmission (%) 488nm-2,0.0000
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,LMM5-Hub,Transmission (%) 561nm-3,0.0000
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,LMM5-Hub,Transmission (%) 640nm-4,0.0000
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,LMM5-Shutter,405nm-1,0
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,LMM5-Shutter,488nm-2,0
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,LMM5-Shutter,561nm-3,0
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,LMM5-Shutter,640nm-4,0
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,LMM5-Shutter,State,0
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,CSUW1-Filter Wheel,State,7
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,CSUW1-Dichroic Mirror,State,0
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,CSUW1-Shutter,State,Closed
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,CSUW1-Port,Label,Camera
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,CSUW1-Bright Field,BrightFieldPort,Confocal
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,CSUW1-Disk,State,0
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,CSUW1-Aperture,State,9
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,CSUW1-Drive Speed,State,4000
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,Core,Shutter,LMM5-Shutter
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,Zyla 4.2,Sensitivity/DynamicRange,16-bit (low
noise & high well capacity)
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,Zyla 4.2,AcquisitionWindow,Full Image
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,Zyla 4.2,Binning,1x1
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,Zyla 4.2,Exposure,10
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,Zyla 4.2,FanSpeed,On
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,Zyla 4.2,FrameRate,50
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,Zyla 4.2,PixelReadoutRate,540 MHz - fastest
readout
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,Zyla 4.2,SensorCooling,On
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,Core,AutoFocus,TIPFSStatus
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,TIZDrive,Speed,3
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,TIZDrive,Tolerance,0
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,TIXYDrive,SpeedX,3
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,TIXYDrive,SpeedY,3
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,TIXYDrive,ToleranceX,0
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,TIXYDrive,ToleranceY,0

I found that TIFilterBlock1, TIFilterBlock2 and TILightPath were
conflicting. When I set both TIFilterBlock1 and TIFilterBlock2 to their
default positions, and move TILightPath to the last line, I do not get the
crash. My Startup preset block now looks like:

# Group: System
# Preset: Startup
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,TIEpiShutter,State,0
ConfigGroup,System,Startup,TIFilterBlock1,Label,1-G-2A
[...]

I do have delays set up in the configuration file for both TIFilterBlock1
and TIFilterBlock2, and for TILightPath:

# Delays
Delay,TIEpiShutter,2000.0
Delay,TINosePiece,100.0
Delay,TICondenserCassette,2000.0
Delay,TIFilterBlock1,2000.0
Delay,TIFilterBlock2,2000.0
Delay,TILightPath,2000.0
Delay,AndorLaserCombiner,100.0
Delay,CSUW1-Filter Wheel,750.0
Delay,CSUW1-Shutter,100.0

Do you have any idea why this is happening, and how can I permanently fix
the issue?