Keyspan serial communication

David Knecht
We just upgraded to an Intel Mac and now trying to get micro-manager back up and running.  On the old system, we ran several serial devices through Keyspan adapters.  On that system, we had a Keyspan utility that identified the serial port names and in MM we assigned those to devices.  It is not clear whether the same is still true.  The Keyspan web site did not have a driver for the latest OSX systems with the older serial adapters.  I found something called FreeSerialPort on tthe devices list on the MM site, but no description of what it was for.  Should MM work without additional system drivers and software, or do I need a serial port manager of some sort?  Thanks- Dave

Dr. David Knecht
Co-head Flow Cytometry and Confocal Microscopy Facility
U-3125
91 N. Eagleville Rd.
University of Connecticut
Storrs, CT 06269
860-486-2200
860-486-4331 (fax)

Re: Keyspan serial communication

Nico Stuurman
Administrator

On Oct 21, 2012, at 2:57 PM, David Knecht wrote:

> We just upgraded to an Intel Mac and now trying to get micro-manager back up and running.  On the old system, we ran several serial devices through Keyspan adapters.  On that system, we had a Keyspan utility that identified the serial port names and in MM we assigned those to devices.  It is not clear whether the same is still true.  The Keyspan web site did not have a driver for the latest OSX systems with the older serial adapters.

Which Keyspan Serial adapters do you have?  The TrippLite website has drivers up to Mac OS X 10.8 for the USA-19HS and USA-49WG.  You will need to install a driver for the Keyspan adapter, otherwise the OS will not see the device as a serial port.

>  I found something called FreeSerialPort on tthe devices list on the MM site, but no description of what it was for.

It is a device adapter that makes a serial port visible to UI code, i.e., it will let you send serial commands to a serial port from the Java (UI) layer of Micro-Manager.  It will not help you detect your Keyspan serial ports.

> Should MM work without additional system drivers and software, or do I need a serial port manager of some sort?

You need a driver for your USB-serial converter, otherwise, your computer does not see the device as a serial port.

Re: Keyspan serial communication

Knecht, David

On Oct 21, 2012, at 11:57 PM, Nico Stuurman wrote:

On Oct 21, 2012, at 2:57 PM, David Knecht wrote:

We just upgraded to an Intel Mac and now trying to get micro-manager back up and running.  On the old system, we ran several serial devices through Keyspan adapters.  On that system, we had a Keyspan utility that identified the serial port names and in MM we assigned those to devices.  It is not clear whether the same is still true.  The Keyspan web site did not have a driver for the latest OSX systems with the older serial adapters.

Which Keyspan Serial adapters do you have?  The TrippLite website has drivers up to Mac OS X 10.8 for the USA-19HS and USA-49WG.  You will need to install a driver for the Keyspan adapter, otherwise the OS will not see the device as a serial port.
Twin Serial USA 28XB
I found a driver for the 28XG which said it might or might not work for the 28XB.  I am finding that the Keyspan serial software sees both Keyspan adapters, but when I try to assign in the Hardware configuration wizard, the first one works, but when I try to assign something to the second one, it acts like I am assigning to the same adapter.  I will do a log and send it.

I found something called FreeSerialPort on tthe devices list on the MM site, but no description of what it was for.

It is a device adapter that makes a serial port visible to UI code, i.e., it will let you send serial commands to a serial port from the Java (UI) layer of Micro-Manager.  It will not help you detect your Keyspan serial ports.

Should MM work without additional system drivers and software, or do I need a serial port manager of some sort?

You need a driver for your USB-serial converter, otherwise, your computer does not see the device as a serial port.
I am also not able to get the Hamamatsu camera to be recognized.  It is a Firewire 400 device and I am using a 400/800 converter cable.  Should that work?