Leica DFC 350 FX on a Leica DMI 6000B

James Kreft
Howdy-

I currently interact with a number of scopes on a daily basis, including the setup in the subject line, a Leica DMI 6000B with motorized stage (motorozed everything, really), with a Leica DFC 350 FX  camera attached.   Having fought with the random bugs and bizarre interfaces of Imagepro and ScopePro for long enough, I have been casting about for some better solution.  The release notes for Micromanager 1.3 mention the support for Leica DMI scopes, which is fantastic, but that leaves me with this camera.  I have not been able to find much anywhere except Leica retailer sites about DFC cameras, though they do seem to conform to the 1394 standards. That doesn't help me, though, since the scope camera is a Windows machine.

Is there any chance that anyone is working on supporting these Leica DFC cameras, or are they too crippled to work with?  Short of installing Ubuntu on this Windows box and hoping that the 1394 interface works, is there any other way of running a DFC camera on Windows that people have figured out and/or are working on?

Thanks much for developing what looks like a highly useful tool!

Jim Kreft
Graduate Student
Koehl and King labs
UC Berkeley

Re: Leica DFC 350 FX on a Leica DMI 6000B

Hoover, Karl
Hello Jim,

Indeed here at UCSF we did some work incorporating the Leica DFC series of cameras into microManager. We used  the Twain imaging standard libraries, which Leica supports more completely than most other vendors. We are trying to incorporate a base line for the Twain devices into the next microManager release.

Karl Hoover
Programmer
UCSF