Leica DMI8 & 2.0 gamma branch

StevenF
Hello micromanager team,

I have been trying to use the 2.0 gamma branch lately and i have observed
that the leica DMI8 driver is no longer functioning properly. I can
correctly connect to the correct COM port, but after that the window that
lets me initialize the sub devices inside the DMI8 doesn't appear,
preventing me from controlling anything related to the microscope. This
behavior is only observed in the gamma branch and not the regular 1.4.2
branches.
I have attached a log file.
CoreLog20180530T094103_pid16536.txt
<http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/file/t396958/CoreLog20180530T094103_pid16536.txt>

Thanks in advance,

Steven

Re: Leica DMI8 & 2.0 gamma branch

JonD
Administrator
Hi Steven,

StevenF wrote
> This behavior is only observed in the gamma branch and not the regular
> 1.4.2 branches.

Does this include a recent nightly build on the 1.4 branch, or just the
latest release?  This seems to be an issue with the MMCore layer (including
device adapters), which is shared between MM2 beta/gamma as will as 1.4.x.
MMCore has definitely seen changes since the last official release (1.4.22).

If you see the erroneous behavior in the latest 1.4.x nightly build then you
can do a bisecting search of nightly builds to identify the date where it
stopped working and since so few code changes happen any given day it's
usually then easy to identify the offending change.  The other useful trick
is searching the timeline/code browser for changes to the suspected device
adapter, e.g. https://valelab4.ucsf.edu/trac/micromanager/search?q=leicadmi
or
https://valelab4.ucsf.edu/trac/micromanager/log/DeviceAdapters/LeicaDMI/LeicaDMI.cpp.

Jon Daniels
Applied Scientific Instrumentation
29391 West Enid Rd, Eugene, OR 97402
Phone: (541) 461-8181 x118

Re: Leica DMI8 & 2.0 gamma branch

StevenF
Hello Jon,

I am currently using as my "main" Micromanager build a 1.4.23. nightly build
(a few weeks old tops) and i have not observed this error. I can see if i
observe this behavior with the latest builds then!

i'll see if i can find out a bit more about this error then!

Thanks,

Steven

Re: Leica DMI8 & 2.0 gamma branch

StevenF
So it seems that this error stems from the changes done in the nightly build
03/26/2018. I installed the nightly version of the 25th and it works fine,
but it's broken in the 1.4.23.20180326 version.
https://valelab4.ucsf.edu/trac/micromanager/changeset/16668

Steven

Re: Leica DMI8 & 2.0 gamma branch

Laurent Siquier
Hello,

Any news on this topic ?
Do you think a correction will be done ?

Thanks,

Laurent

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 10:10 AM, StevenF <[hidden email]> wrote:
So it seems that this error stems from the changes done in the nightly build
03/26/2018. I installed the nightly version of the 25th and it works fine,
but it's broken in the 1.4.23.20180326 version.
https://valelab4.ucsf.edu/trac/micromanager/changeset/16668

Steven

Re: Leica DMI8 & 2.0 gamma branch

JonD
Administrator
Hi Laurent,

Laurent Siquier wrote
> Any news on this topic ?
> Do you think a correction will be done ?

The most surefire way to have this fixed is become an Open-Imaging
subscriber and complain.  That way you have the ear of the developers.

Or if you have the technical ability: invest some time looking at the code,
revise it as needed, and submit your code changes.

Jon

Re: Leica DMI8 & 2.0 gamma branch

Mark Tsuchida-3
On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 1:10 AM, StevenF <[hidden email]> wrote:
So it seems that this error stems from the changes done in the nightly build
03/26/2018. I installed the nightly version of the 25th and it works fine,
but it's broken in the 1.4.23.20180326 version.
https://valelab4.ucsf.edu/trac/micromanager/changeset/16668

I've reverted this change (r16715). This will be in the next 1.4.23 nightly and will soon propagate to 2.0beta and gamma.

Best,
Mark