Quantcast

Leica Dmi 8

Benni
Hey hey, I searched through the old mailing list and didnt find my answer,
so I hope you can help me here a little bit.
I want to control a Leica Dmi 8 with a CTR compact box and a Monochromator
(Cairn, Optoscan) with Micromanager but i fail already at the very
beginning. The device support for Leica Dmi adapters says that i need to
configure a virtual Leica serial port (since the CTR c box is connected
via USB) and only have to put in the correct baud rate for it. But there
is no adapter called Leica serial port (nor a virtual serial port or
something comparable). So how do I set this up? I have the feeling of
missing something very general here.

Best regards

Benjamin König, Dipl.-Biochem.

Group of Cellular Biochemistry/ AG Stauber

Institute of Chemistry and Biochemistry

Freie Universität Berlin

Thielallee 63

14195 Berlin

Germany

Re: Leica Dmi 8

Benni
Sorry for double post, but since I would really like to work with the device I just try again and hope that someone can reply.
To control the Leica Dmi 8 with MM the device support states i only need to install the Leica USB-driver, but this driver is installed anyway since the Scope can be used with the manufacturer software LAS-X? Still: if this is not the problem: where can i set up the virtual Leica serial port?

Sorry again for double posting and really hoping for an answer,

Benni :)

Re: Leica Dmi 8

Simon_F
Benni, did you find a solution to the problem?

I'm currently trying to configure my DMI8 in MM too! I don't get far either because the installation wizzard for the Leica DMI adapter only lets me choose between the serial ports of my computer. Yet, the DMI8 is connected via USB. Neither the usb driver provided with the standard software by Leica, nor the usb driver on the website of the DMI adapter seems to change this.
Has anyone experienced the same issue?
thanks,
Simon

Re: Leica Dmi 8

Jacques Pecreaux
Hi,

I face a somewhat similar issue using a DMi8 and find the way. After FTDIchip, there is no need to install the driver (Media:Leica-USBDriver.zip) mentioned in the MM wiki (see http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/AppNotes/AN_119_FTDI_Drivers_Installation_Guide_for_Windows7.pdf). Note that FTDIChip is the manufacturer of the driver downloadable on MM wiki. Anyway, the driver silently refuse to install on win 7 x64 (moving out of the way the dpinst.xml file the make the installer silent enables to see the error message that it is not designed for 64 bits arch.).

When you plug the scope, windows install quite spontaneously the proper driver from FTDI. I have v 2.12.0.0. Now the trick to get the COM port to appear is to go to the device manager of windows. Select view resource by connection and open the USB stuffs. Plug and unplug your microscope should make a "USB Serial Converter" device disappear and re-appear. Take care that there is more than one in the system. Right click to edit the properties of the good one and  in Advanced tab, check Load VCP. say ok. Unplug and replug the scope again. Et voila, a COM port appears below the "USB Serial Converter". This is the one to select when adding the leica device in MM.
Hope it helps other user.
Best
Jacques

Re: Leica Dmi 8

saumsaur353
Hi Folks,

We are about the purchase a DMi8 and the sales person is really trying hard to sell us the Leica software to run it for ~15k more. The problem is that the Leica software does not support the Sutter filterwheel changer.
I wanted to check if the DMi8 can now be run reproducibly using Micro-manager. We would like to run DMi8, Lumencor SpectraX LED engine and Sutter-Lambda 10-3 filterwheel changer. I have used MM with the lambda 10-3.

In summary, the questions I have are:
1. If MM can run DMi8 on a windows 10 computer?
2. Can the Lumencor SpectraX be controlled through MM?

Thank you, for your help in advance!

-Saumya

Re: Leica Dmi 8

Benni
Yes it is now possible to control a Dmi8 with MM, you need to fumble
around a little bit in the device manager, but this is already described
in the forum (if you want i can search it for you). Sadly I have no idea
concerning your Lumencor SpectraX.

Small site note: The leica guys are usually very helpful! Did you ask your
sales person if it is not somehow possible to implement your filter wheel?
I personally like LasX very much.

Good luck!

Benjamin König, Dipl.-Biochem.

Group of Cellular Biochemistry/ AG Stauber

> Hi Folks,
>
> We are about the purchase a DMi8 and the sales person is really trying
> hard
> to sell us the Leica software to run it for ~15k more. The problem is that
> the Leica software does not support the Sutter filterwheel changer.
> I wanted to check if the DMi8 can now be run reproducibly using
> Micro-manager. We would like to run DMi8, Lumencor SpectraX LED engine and
> Sutter-Lambda 10-3 filterwheel changer. I have used MM with the lambda
> 10-3.
>
> In summary, the questions I have are:
> 1. If MM can run DMi8 on a windows 10 computer?
> 2. Can the Lumencor SpectraX be controlled through MM?
>
> Thank you, for your help in advance!
>
> -Saumya

Re: Leica Dmi 8

Peterbauer Thomas

On 2017-04-06 08:23, Benni wrote:
Yes it is now possible to control a Dmi8 with MM, you need to fumble
around a little bit in the device manager, but this is already described
in the forum (if you want i can search it for you). Sadly I have no idea
concerning your Lumencor SpectraX.

> We are about the purchase a DMi8 and the sales person is really trying
> hard
> to sell us the Leica software to run it for ~15k more. The problem is that
> the Leica software does not support the Sutter filterwheel changer.
> I wanted to check if the DMi8 can now be run reproducibly using
> Micro-manager. We would like to run DMi8, Lumencor SpectraX LED engine and
> Sutter-Lambda 10-3 filterwheel changer. I have used MM with the lambda
> 10-3.
>
> In summary, the questions I have are:
> 1. If MM can run DMi8 on a windows 10 computer?
> 2. Can the Lumencor SpectraX be controlled through MM?

A while ago, I tried the MM LumencorSpectra adapter. I did not exhaustively test it (it usually runs under other software on our system), but basic operation worked. So I guess your chances to get it running are good.

Re: Leica Dmi 8

Zimmerberg, Joshua (NIH/NICHD) [E]
We use MM to control the SpectraX without much trouble.