MAC 2002 stage controller connection

Jorge Castro

Hi all,

I’m trying to set up a MAC 2002 controller with a Bioprecision 1 stage (no filter wheels, shutters or Z-motor) and Hamamatsu camera. The Camera has been a breeze to set up but the controller is giving me a hard time.

The stage-computer connection has been made through an null-mode cable (Amphenol brand which is what Ludl usually recommends) and when I’m detecting the COM ports with the automatic detection it shows MM is finding the location correctly (I changed between the two I have in the PCIe board installed). The problem is that when I tried to Ok the connection it shows the error Error in device "LudlController": Serial command failed.  Is the device connected to the serial port? (14). I have fiddle a bit with the settings following Nico’s indications in the MM webpage (although I haven’t tried increasing the DelayBetweenCharsMs to 100 as I’ve seen in one of the posts –I will try as soon as I arrive back to the lab-) but is there anything I might be missing? For the dipswitch configuration, I haven’t opened the box yet but should the RS-232 interface configuration match what the selection in software has (9600, serial parity)? Is there a known config that will work for sure?

Thanks for your help,

Jorge

Re: MAC 2002 stage controller connection

Stuurman, Nico
Hi Jorge,

> I’m trying to set up a MAC 2002 controller with a Bioprecision 1 stage
> (no filter wheels, shutters or Z-motor) and Hamamatsu camera. The
> Camera has been a breeze to set up but the controller is giving me a
> hard time.
>
> The stage-computer connection has been made through an null-mode cable
> (Amphenol brand which is what Ludl usually recommends) and when I’m
> detecting the COM ports with the automatic detection it shows MM is
> finding the location correctly (I changed between the two I have in
> the PCIe board installed). The problem is that when I tried to Ok the
> connection it shows the error Error in device "LudlController": Serial
> command failed.  Is the device connected to the serial port? (14). I
> have fiddle a bit with the settings following Nico’s indications in
> the MM webpage (although I haven’t tried increasing the
> DelayBetweenCharsMs to 100 as I’ve seen in one of the posts –I will
> try as soon as I arrive back to the lab-) but is there anything I
> might be missing? For the dipswitch configuration, I haven’t opened
> the box yet but should the RS-232 interface configuration match what
> the selection in software has (9600, serial parity)? Is there a known
> config that will work for sure?

Those controllers are a pain to get working, but once they do, they can
be flawless for ever.  DelayBetweenCharsMs is a very important
parameter.  The processor in those controllers is very slow, and when
you send characters too fast, it will miss them since it is still busy
trying to understand the previous one.  Also, it is essential that the
baud rate setting matches your controller (and the best way is indeed to
check the dip switch settings).  Note the 2 stopbits as well.  If you
can not get it to work at all, you may need to connect using a terminal
emulator (this page is a bit old, but may still be useful:
https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Free_third-party_tools_for_testing_communications_with_hardware),
and figure out the connection settings by looking for a response from
the controller.

Good luck!

Re: MAC 2002 stage controller connection

m.losen
Hi Jorge,

In addition to the dip switches on the stage controller and the COM port settings in the MM configuration, also the corresponding Windows settings of the serial port in the Windows Device Manager should match.
I've copied below a configuration that works very reliably with our Ludl5000 controller, Hamamatsu camera, on a Olympus microscope. (Our microscope is only partially motorized, hence the "Demo Camera" device in the configuration; this is used to emulate the objectives). In my configuration, the Ludl controller is connected to COM1.
In contrast to your system, we do have a Z drive, which Ludl addresses as "B" (confusingly).
We use PC with Windows 7, 64 bit

Hope this helps,
Mario

# Generated by Configurator on Wed Nov 26 17:27:42 CET 2014

# Reset
Property,Core,Initialize,0

# Devices
Device,COM1,SerialManager,COM1
Device,COM3,SerialManager,COM3
Device,OlympusHub,Olympus,OlympusHub
Device,FilterWheel,Olympus,FilterWheel
Device,TransmittedLamp,Olympus,TransmittedLamp
Device,FilterCube,Olympus,FilterCube
Device,LudlController,Ludl,LudlController
Device,LudlShutter,Ludl,LudlShutter
Device,LudlWheel,Ludl,LudlWheel
Device,XYStage,Ludl,XYStage
Device,Stage,Ludl,Stage
Device,DHub,DemoCamera,DHub
Device,DObjective,DemoCamera,DObjective
Device,HamamatsuHam_DCAM,HamamatsuHam,HamamatsuHam_DCAM

# Pre-init settings for devices
Property,COM1,AnswerTimeout,500.0000
Property,COM1,BaudRate,19200
Property,COM1,DelayBetweenCharsMs,0.0000
Property,COM1,Handshaking,Off
Property,COM1,Parity,None
Property,COM1,StopBits,2
Property,COM1,Verbose,1
Property,COM3,AnswerTimeout,500.0000
Property,COM3,BaudRate,19200
Property,COM3,DelayBetweenCharsMs,0.0000
Property,COM3,Handshaking,Off
Property,COM3,Parity,Even
Property,COM3,StopBits,2
Property,COM3,Verbose,0
Property,OlympusHub,Port,COM3
Property,LudlController,Port,COM1
Property,LudlShutter,LudlDeviceNumberShutter,1
Property,LudlShutter,LudlShutterNumber,1
Property,LudlWheel,Fiter Positions,6
Property,LudlWheel,Home-Timeout-(s),10.0000
Property,LudlWheel,LudlDeviceNumberWheel,1
Property,LudlWheel,LudlWheelNumber,1
Property,Stage,LudlSingleAxisName,B

# Pre-init settings for COM ports

# Hub (parent) references
Parent,DObjective,DHub

# Initialize
Property,Core,Initialize,1

# Delays

# Roles
Property,Core,Camera,HamamatsuHam_DCAM
Property,Core,Shutter,LudlShutter
Property,Core,Focus,Stage
Property,Core,AutoShutter,1

# Camera-synchronized devices

# Labels
# FilterWheel
Label,FilterWheel,5,closed
Label,FilterWheel,4,ND3
Label,FilterWheel,3,ND6
Label,FilterWheel,2,ND12
Label,FilterWheel,1,ND25
Label,FilterWheel,0,open
# TransmittedLamp
Label,TransmittedLamp,1,On
Label,TransmittedLamp,0,Off
# FilterCube
Label,FilterCube,5,ELF
Label,FilterCube,4,647
Label,FilterCube,3,594
Label,FilterCube,2,488
Label,FilterCube,1,350
Label,FilterCube,0,front filtercubes
# LudlWheel
Label,LudlWheel,5,closed5
Label,LudlWheel,4,closed4
Label,LudlWheel,3,closed3
Label,LudlWheel,2,closed2
Label,LudlWheel,1,closed1
Label,LudlWheel,0,open
# DObjective
Label,DObjective,5,100xOil
Label,DObjective,4,60xOil
Label,DObjective,3,40x
Label,DObjective,2,20x
Label,DObjective,1,10x
Label,DObjective,0,2x

# Configuration presets
# Group: Filtercube
# Preset: 488
ConfigGroup,Filtercube,488,FilterCube,Label,488

# Preset: ELF
ConfigGroup,Filtercube,ELF,FilterCube,Label,ELF

# Preset: 594
ConfigGroup,Filtercube,594,FilterCube,Label,594

# Preset: front filtercubes
ConfigGroup,Filtercube,front filtercubes,FilterCube,Label,front filtercubes

# Preset: 350
ConfigGroup,Filtercube,350,FilterCube,Label,350

# Preset: 647
ConfigGroup,Filtercube,647,FilterCube,Label,647

# Group: XY stage step size
# Preset: default_SI
ConfigGroup,XY stage step size,default_SI,XYStage,StepSize,0.1000

# Preset: default MM
ConfigGroup,XY stage step size,default MM,XYStage,StepSize,0.0500

# Group: objective
# Preset: 60xOil
ConfigGroup,objective,60xOil,DObjective,Label,60xOil

# Preset: 2x
ConfigGroup,objective,2x,DObjective,Label,2x

# Preset: 100xOil
ConfigGroup,objective,100xOil,DObjective,Label,100xOil

# Preset: 20x
ConfigGroup,objective,20x,DObjective,Label,20x

# Preset: 40x
ConfigGroup,objective,40x,DObjective,Label,40x

# Preset: 10x
ConfigGroup,objective,10x,DObjective,Label,10x

# Group: ND filter
# Preset: ND6
ConfigGroup,ND filter,ND6,FilterWheel,Label,ND6

# Preset: closed
ConfigGroup,ND filter,closed,FilterWheel,Label,closed

# Preset: ND25
ConfigGroup,ND filter,ND25,FilterWheel,Label,ND25

# Preset: open
ConfigGroup,ND filter,open,FilterWheel,Label,open

# Preset: ND3
ConfigGroup,ND filter,ND3,FilterWheel,Label,ND3

# Preset: ND12
ConfigGroup,ND filter,ND12,FilterWheel,Label,ND12

# Group: lamp voltage
# Preset: NewPreset
ConfigGroup,lamp voltage,NewPreset,TransmittedLamp,Voltage,0.0000

# PixelSize settings
# Resolution preset: 2x Resolution
ConfigPixelSize,2x Resolution,DObjective,Label,2x
PixelSize_um,2x Resolution,4.038793

# Resolution preset: 60x Resolution
ConfigPixelSize,60x Resolution,DObjective,Label,60xOil
PixelSize_um,60x Resolution,0.134503

# Resolution preset: 40x Resolution
ConfigPixelSize,40x Resolution,DObjective,Label,40x
PixelSize_um,40x Resolution,0.198486

# Resolution preset: 20x Resolution
ConfigPixelSize,20x Resolution,DObjective,Label,20x
PixelSize_um,20x Resolution,0.402565

# Resolution preset: 10x Resolution
ConfigPixelSize,10x Resolution,DObjective,Label,10x
PixelSize_um,10x Resolution,0.806452

# Resolution preset: 100x Resolution
ConfigPixelSize,100x Resolution,DObjective,Label,100xOil
PixelSize_um,100x Resolution,0.079386

Re: MAC 2002 stage controller connection

Jorge Castro
Dear Nico and Mario,

Thanks a lot for your prompt answers and advice. I've checked the DIP switches and they were in factory/default config (so 9600 baud, None parity, No delay for serial transmission, Low level power up communication -but I tried both in High and Low level). Yes, I went to W10 Device Manager to see that the port was set to pretty much the same as Stage controller and what I was selecting in MM config (including the StopBits=2).

In any case Mario, you are bringing an interesting point with your current MAC5000 config, it seems the speed was set @ 19200 which is kind of standard with some configs I've seen with MAC6000 and MAC5000 in other systems. I know from MM manuals that you usually set it at 9600 but do you think a higher transmission speed might offset the problems of communication speed (plus keeping a high DelayBetweenCharsMs to maybe 10-100)?

Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck/knowledge with the Emulators. I tried TeraTerm which gave me an odd error saying I haven't  privileges to access the port (even though I'm admin) and Termite doesn't show any transmission in the "reception view" (although I'm not sure if there is some command I should use to "ping"/see the parameters of the stage controller communication). Is there a new easy to use emulator that can quickly read what communication settings the stage is using?

Are there some other parameters (Parity is always selected as None and was in default in the DIPswitch as that but open to other suggestions, Handshaking?). I can also send the Corelogs if you need additional info on the errors.

Thanks very much again,

Jorge

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 5:04 AM Losen, M (NP) <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Nathalie,

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately this is a computer I built from parts and the motherboard didn't come with another RS232 connector. I'm using com3/4 as they are the ones I installed via a PCIe card. Do you know if there is a problem with ports installed separately? The drivers are ok and I can definitely detect the two ports in the device manager (and with MM) is just after detection they don't communicate and haven't figured out a combination of settings between stage controller DIPswitches and MM that work.

Best regards,

Jorge

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019, 14:07 Nathalie Qb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

# Resolution preset: 10x Resolution
ConfigPixelSize,10x Resolution,DObjective,Label,10x
PixelSize_um,10x Resolution,0.806452

# Resolution preset: 100x Resolution
ConfigPixelSize,100x Resolution,DObjective,Label,100xOil
PixelSize_um,100x Resolution,0.079386

Re: MAC 2002 stage controller connection

m.losen

Hi Jorge,

>“Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck/knowledge with the Emulators. I tried TeraTerm which gave me an odd error saying I haven't  privileges to access the port (even though I'm admin) and Termite doesn't show any transmission in the "reception view" (although I'm not sure if there is some command I should use to "ping"/see the parameters of the stage controller communication). Is there a new easy to use emulator that can quickly read what communication settings the stage is using?”

Termite should be ok.

I wouldn’t expect any communication between the stage controller and the PC until a connection is established.

So I suggest that you could try to first manually send commands from Termite in order to test if the stage controller responds.

The commands can be found on the Ludl website:

https://ludl.com/downloads/

or here

http://twiki.cis.rit.edu/twiki/pub/MVRL/BioGigapan/LUDL_MAC_5000_manual.pdf

(documents for MAC5000 also contain MAC2002 commands)

Maybe you could try a command like “RCONFIG”

Hope this helps,

Mario

Re: MAC 2002 stage controller connection

Jorge Castro
Hi Mario,

Thanks. This is quite useful and will try to send commands. Actually I was expecting that by moving the stage with the joystick I was going to see "something" in Termite (reading data packages). Will let you guys know.

Best regards,

Jorge

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019, 02:17 Losen, M (NP) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Jorge,

>“Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck/knowledge with the Emulators. I tried TeraTerm which gave me an odd error saying I haven't  privileges to access the port (even though I'm admin) and Termite doesn't show any transmission in the "reception view" (although I'm not sure if there is some command I should use to "ping"/see the parameters of the stage controller communication). Is there a new easy to use emulator that can quickly read what communication settings the stage is using?”

Termite should be ok.

I wouldn’t expect any communication between the stage controller and the PC until a connection is established.

So I suggest that you could try to first manually send commands from Termite in order to test if the stage controller responds.

The commands can be found on the Ludl website:

https://ludl.com/downloads/

or here

http://twiki.cis.rit.edu/twiki/pub/MVRL/BioGigapan/LUDL_MAC_5000_manual.pdf

(documents for MAC5000 also contain MAC2002 commands)

Maybe you could try a command like “RCONFIG”

Hope this helps,

Mario

Re: MAC 2002 stage controller connection

Stuurman, Nico
Hi Jorge,
> Thanks. This is quite useful and will try to send commands. Actually I
> was expecting that by moving the stage with the joystick I was going
> to see "something" in Termite (reading data packages). Will let you
> guys know.

Have not looked at the Ludl controllers in a long time, but I doubt they
will send anything without being asked nicely first.