MM V2 versus 1.4

jmarkham
Some others and I have started to work on driving the old Illumina HiSeq instruments with MM. At the moment we're doing the device adaptors. Are there any differences in the core and device adapter code or is it all at the UI level and in java? We're using the latest 1.4 at the moment but ought we be using 2.0 instead? Is anyone able to comment on the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Thanks,

John

Re: MM V2 versus 1.4

Stuurman, Nico
Hi John,

On 1/16/19 6:47 AM, John Markham wrote:
> Some others and I have started to work on driving the old Illumina
> HiSeq instruments with MM.

That sounds like fun!

> At the moment we're doing the device adaptors. Are there any
> differences in the core and device adapter code or is it all at the UI
> level and in java? We're using the latest 1.4 at the moment but ought
> we be using 2.0 instead? Is anyone able to comment on the advantages
> and disadvantages of each?

The Core and Device Adapters are the same in both 1.4 and 2.0). Other
than that there is no development in 1.4 (other than Jon Daniels
extending the ASI diSPIM plugin).  There are 2 versions of 2.0:  beta
and gamma.  Little or no development is happening in beta.  I am
maintaining gamma, and it is still actively developed (see:
https://valelab4.ucsf.edu/~nstuurman/micro-manager/ ). 2.0-gamma looks a
lot better than 1.4 and has a much better designed api in the Java
layer, so I certainly would advice you to use that instead of 1.4.  The
source code for 2.0-gamma is here:
https://github.com/nicost/micro-manager/tree/ViewerPlusCV