Make user profile read-only

nanthony
Is there a way so that I can "lock" a user profile so that it won't be
changed? That way no matter what a user does during a single session on
Micromanager the user profile will still go back to the way it was
originally the next time Micromanager is started up.

Thanks,
  Nick

Re: Make user profile read-only

Stuurman, Nico
Hi Nick,
> Is there a way so that I can "lock" a user profile so that it won't be
> changed? That way no matter what a user does during a single session on
> Micromanager the user profile will still go back to the way it was
> originally the next time Micromanager is started up.

Naughty users?  I am not aware of an existing mechanism to do this. It
would also be kind of annoying, because things like window positions are
stored in the profile, so if a user closed a window and re-opened it, it
would appear in the "old" position.

It must be possible to change the code to do something like this, but
staring at it for 2 minutes does not result in immediate ideas for an
approach.

Re: Make user profile read-only

Matt J. Renshaw
Hi Nick,

depending on what you want to achieve, the user profile in the hidden [user]/appdata/local/Micro-Manager folder can be very useful.

e.g. our users have individual Windows log-ins so we put a default user profile in the default/appdata/local/Micro-Manager folder, new users then start off with the correct settings. In addition, we put a shortcut on the desktop to run a .bat script to reset their user profile if they need to. A similar script could be run on log-in so that it all sessions begin with the same settings.

Best,
Matt

> Is there a way so that I can "lock" a user profile so that it won't be
> changed? That way no matter what a user does during a single session
> on Micromanager the user profile will still go back to the way it was
> originally the next time Micromanager is started up.

Naughty users?  I am not aware of an existing mechanism to do this. It would also be kind of annoying, because things like window positions are stored in the profile, so if a user closed a window and re-opened it, it would appear in the "old" position.

It must be possible to change the code to do something like this, but staring at it for 2 minutes does not result in immediate ideas for an approach.

https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.sourceforge.net%2Flists%2Flistinfo%2Fmicro-manager-general&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C81079344d9624e8cc4fa08d68225dbaf%7C4eed7807ebad415aa7a99170947f4eae%7C0%7C0%7C636839496453692479&amp;sdata=cCke24TVnGqwn0%2Fuz5PX9Y8Oc%2FdD%2BGnwWPwl2CiAp3Y%3D&amp;reserved=0
The Francis Crick Institute Limited is a registered charity in England and Wales no. 1140062 and a company registered in England and Wales no. 06885462, with its registered office at 1 Midland Road London NW1 1AT

Re: Make user profile read-only

nanthony
Matt J. Renshaw wrote
> depending on what you want to achieve, the user profile in the hidden
> [user]/appdata/local/Micro-Manager folder can be very useful.
>
> e.g. our users have individual Windows log-ins so we put a default user
> profile in the default/appdata/local/Micro-Manager folder, new users then
> start off with the correct settings. In addition, we put a shortcut on the
> desktop to run a .bat script to reset their user profile if they need to.
> A similar script could be run on log-in so that it all sessions begin with
> the same settings.

Thanks Matt,

I'm on the fence between trying to achieve something like you mentioned
using a startup script or just adding an option into micromanager.

The main issue I'm facing is that if a hardware error occurs during startup
(e.g. if a device wasn't turned on) then some of the `on-the-fly` plugins
will fail to load their stored settings and will use the defaults instead.
Then, the next time Micromanager is properly started up the user needs to
know to go back in to the `on-the-fly` plugins and set things back how they
were originally.

Maybe it would be easiest to just make it so that if Micromanager fails to
load a hardware configuration then it aborts completely and doesn't make any
changes to the user profile.

--Nick