Matlab micro manager interface follow up question

Matlab micro manager interface follow up question

jony5
Dear Micro Manager Mailing list,

So I am a newcommer to micro manager, and realy need your help.
 I would like to push a button in micro manager that does the following:
the camera takes a picture. the picture goes to matlab and I do some
calculations in matlab, and then I see the result in micro manager. Is
this possible or will I be better of doing the whole thing from Matlab ,
(but then I forfit a lot of the ready made functions that exist in
micromanager right? and need to rebuild the GUI?). I could also do these
calculations in Java, would this approach allow me to show the results
in an easier manner in micro manager? Do you know anything about how I
will get the fastest results?

Many Thanks,

JD

Re: Matlab micro manager interface follow up question

Roy Wollman
Dear Jon,

Matlab / micromanager connection is good but not totally transparent,
my advice will be that unless you want to "live" within matlab and use
its own memory management etc. it would be best to stay within the
world of java. If you could write you calculation as a java object you
should be able to just call them from a beanshell script, pretty close
to being an extra "button". There are ways to even call matlab from
java (http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~whitehouse/matlab/JavaMatlab.html)
but I never tried that myself. You could of course compile you matlab
code if you have the matlab compiler of call matlab in batch mode to
do the calculation for you (but pay the price of latency and
overhead). Basically it all depends on how sophisticated your
calculation is...

Best,
Roy

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 2:25 AM, jon donner<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Micro Manager Mailing list,
>
> So I am a newcommer to micro manager, and realy need your help.
>  I would like to push a button in micro manager that does the following:
> the camera takes a picture. the picture goes to matlab and I do some
> calculations in matlab, and then I see the result in micro manager. Is
> this possible or will I be better of doing the whole thing from Matlab ,
> (but then I forfit a lot of the ready made functions that exist in
> micromanager right? and need to rebuild the GUI?). I could also do these
> calculations in Java, would this approach allow me to show the results
> in an easier manner in micro manager? Do you know anything about how I
> will get the fastest results?
>
> Many Thanks,
>
> JD

Re: Matlab micro manager interface follow up question

jony5
Dear Roy,
Thanks for your answer.
two questions:
1. so what are the disadvantages of living within matlab? is it that I
will have to rebuild the ready made GUI (and programs) of micromanager?
2. I dont understand what you meant when you said: I can use the matlab
compiler or use batch mode. where would i run these options from? (as
you might be able to see, I am quite bad with computers).

again many thanks

JD

(PS. Arthur thank you too).

Roy Wollman wrote:

> Dear Jon,
>
> Matlab / micromanager connection is good but not totally transparent,
> my advice will be that unless you want to "live" within matlab and use
> its own memory management etc. it would be best to stay within the
> world of java. If you could write you calculation as a java object you
> should be able to just call them from a beanshell script, pretty close
> to being an extra "button". There are ways to even call matlab from
> java (http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~whitehouse/matlab/JavaMatlab.html)
> but I never tried that myself. You could of course compile you matlab
> code if you have the matlab compiler of call matlab in batch mode to
> do the calculation for you (but pay the price of latency and
> overhead). Basically it all depends on how sophisticated your
> calculation is...
>
> Best,
> Roy
>
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 2:25 AM, jon donner<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear Micro Manager Mailing list,
>>
>> So I am a newcommer to micro manager, and realy need your help.
>>  I would like to push a button in micro manager that does the following:
>> the camera takes a picture. the picture goes to matlab and I do some
>> calculations in matlab, and then I see the result in micro manager. Is
>> this possible or will I be better of doing the whole thing from Matlab ,
>> (but then I forfit a lot of the ready made functions that exist in
>> micromanager right? and need to rebuild the GUI?). I could also do these
>> calculations in Java, would this approach allow me to show the results
>> in an easier manner in micro manager? Do you know anything about how I
>> will get the fastest results?
>>
>> Many Thanks,
>>
>> JD

ICFO - The Institute of Photonic Sciences
Mediterranean Technology Park
Av Canal Olimpic s/n
08860 Castelldefels (Barcelona), Spain
tel : +34 935534121