Micro-Manager Studio 2.0 plugin dead in Windows 10

Micro-Manager Studio 2.0 plugin dead in Windows 10

pforsche
Any idea why the Micro-Manager 2.0 gamma studio plugin would suddenly stop
working in Windows 10? The Startup Configuration Window does not appear at
all. Micro-Manager 1.4 still works fine. I tried going to an earlier MM 2.0
gamma version and updating Java to no avail. Very odd. Any ideas?
--Paul Forscher

Re: Micro-Manager Studio 2.0 plugin dead in Windows 10

Nico Stuurman-2
Hi Paul,
> Any idea why the Micro-Manager 2.0 gamma studio plugin would suddenly
> stop
> working in Windows 10? The Startup Configuration Window does not
> appear at
> all. Micro-Manager 1.4 still works fine. I tried going to an earlier
> MM 2.0
> gamma version and updating Java to no avail. Very odd. Any ideas?

If I understand correctly, things were working fine with 2.0-gamma under
Windows 10 for a while, and one day ImageJ would start, but the
Micro-Manager splash-screen no longer shows up?

If that is the case, the first thing to try is to select ImageJ >
Plugins > Micro-Manager > Micro-Manager Studio.  If that starts up MM,
then there is something going on with the startup macro.  If it does
not, it is possible that your ImageJ is running Java 6 rather than Java
8 (not sure why, but maybe the default Java was changed on your system),
or that some of the Micro-Manager dlls can no longer be found or are
corrupt.  I am trying to remember where you can find ImageJ logging
(which hopefully will list the reason), but currently unsure where that
resides on Windows. Starting ImageJ from the command line should give
you useful information, but how to do that depends very much on your
exact environment.

Re: Micro-Manager Studio 2.0 plugin dead in Windows 10

Summary of trouble shooting with Paul (2.0-gamma did not start):

Paul enabled ImageJ logging:

If you use , Edit > Options > Misc > check debug mode it will only
enable debug mode during the current session so you miss startup errors.
To enable ImageJ debug logging on startup: ImageJ Menu > Edit  > Options
 > Startup - here you can set the startup macros from a dropdown list.
One of the choices is 'Debug mode'. There are some other handy options
there as well. This will enable a live Log which you can save at any time.

That log showed the following:

err >java.io.IOException: com.google.gson.JsonSyntaxException:
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Expected BEGIN_OBJECT but was STRING at
line 1 column 1
err >    at
org.micromanager.internal.propertymap.PropertyMapJSONSerializer.fromJSON(PropertyMapJSONSerializer.java:871)
err >    at org.micromanager.PropertyMaps.loadJSON(PropertyMaps.java:71)
err >    at
org.micromanager.profile.internal.UserProfileAdmin.readFile(UserProfileAdmin.java:491)

which suggested that the Micro-Manager profiles were corrupt.  I advised
to move the profiles (in Windows these are in
~/AppData/Local/Micro-Manager, to see AppData you have to tell Windows
to show hidden files:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__support.microsoft.com_en-2Dus_help_14201_windows-2Dshow-2Dhidden-2Dfiles&d=DwMFaQ&c=iORugZls2LlYyCAZRB3XLg&r=UwP8SWqih8VHO1LwZpgcx83I4o21yLj6V6QD-25Dt4I&m=NtIxTkBFmZGH3hLQ_8iYDB01iA5nveIirXbV4Goyn6I&s=1bPHSOYN6vCbaUArdBh0_Ev0_bEAhTcMOPbM-QCH71s&e=>).
It seems that that was indeed the problem, since MM started up again.

Hope this is useful for others!