Micro-manager adapter for BASLER USB3 camera

Micro-manager adapter for BASLER USB3 camera

Micro-Manager mailing list
Hi, I am graduate student from University of South Florida. I am using Basler aca-2000-165um NIR camera, I would like to use this camera in micro-manager, even though in the micro-manager website it says  Basler Ace is supported. but when I installed micro-manager I did not find the adapter in the hardware list in micro-manager to operate the camera. Please let me know what to do. Thank you.

Best Regards
Safi

Re: Micro-manager adapter for BASLER USB3 camera

Stuurman, Nico
Hi Safi,

Hi, I am graduate student from University of South Florida. I am using Basler aca-2000-165um NIR camera, I would like to use this camera in micro-manager, even though in the micro-manager website it says  Basler Ace is supported. but when I installed micro-manager I did not find the adapter in the hardware list in micro-manager to operate the camera. Please let me know what to do. Thank you.

Did you find this information:

https://micro-manager.org/wiki/BaslerAce

Let us know if that worked.

Re: Micro-manager adapter for BASLER USB3 camera

JonD
Administrator
Nico Stuurman-2 wrote
>> when I installed micro-manager I did not
>> find the adapter in the hardware list in micro-manager to operate the
>> camera. Please let me know what to do. Thank you.
>
> Did you find this information:
>
> https://micro-manager.org/wiki/BaslerAce

Despite the wiki entry I could not find a DLL for Basler in the MM install
folder nor any source code.  The mailing list archives also suggest that
Basler cameras don't work.

Henry Pinkard submitted device adapter code for inclusion in the main MM
build ( GitHub PR <https://github.com/micro-manager/micro-manager/pull/620>
).   Mark Tsuchida agreed to incorporate the code after some cleanup but it
appears that such cleanup never happened.

At the moment you could build Henry's code into a DLL yourself.  Or beg
Henry or Mark to do the cleanup and merge the code.  Or if you are able take
a stab at the cleanup yourself and contribute.

Jon Daniels
Applied Scientific Instrumentation
29391 West Enid Rd, Eugene, OR 97402
Phone: (541) 461-8181 x118

Re: Micro-manager adapter for BASLER USB3 camera

Micro-Manager mailing list
Hi, all thank you. As Jon mentioned I could not find DLL for Basler camera. I guess I have to try building the the  code into DLL.

Best
Safi

On Tuesday, June 5, 2018, 7:34:41 PM EDT, JonD <[hidden email]> wrote:

Nico Stuurman-2 wrote
>> when I installed micro-manager I did not
>> find the adapter in the hardware list in micro-manager to operate the
>> camera. Please let me know what to do. Thank you.
>
> Did you find this information:
>
> https://micro-manager.org/wiki/BaslerAce

Despite the wiki entry I could not find a DLL for Basler in the MM install
folder nor any source code.  The mailing list archives also suggest that
Basler cameras don't work.

Henry Pinkard submitted device adapter code for inclusion in the main MM
build ( GitHub PR <https://github.com/micro-manager/micro-manager/pull/620>
).  Mark Tsuchida agreed to incorporate the code after some cleanup but it
appears that such cleanup never happened.

At the moment you could build Henry's code into a DLL yourself.  Or beg
Henry or Mark to do the cleanup and merge the code.  Or if you are able take
a stab at the cleanup yourself and contribute.

Jon Daniels
Applied Scientific Instrumentation
29391 West Enid Rd, Eugene, OR 97402
Phone: (541) 461-8181 x118

Re: Micro-manager adapter for BASLER USB3 camera

Vikram Kopuri
Hi Saif,

I was able to compile Henry's device adapter for BaslerAce. Your welcome to use them.

I wasn't able to test it because I don't have a BaslerAce . Let me know if it worked.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vikram G Kopuri

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 9:09 AM Mohaimen Safi via micro-manager-general <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, all thank you. As Jon mentioned I could not find DLL for Basler camera. I guess I have to try building the the  code into DLL.

Best
Safi

On Tuesday, June 5, 2018, 7:34:41 PM EDT, JonD <[hidden email]> wrote:

Nico Stuurman-2 wrote
>> when I installed micro-manager I did not
>> find the adapter in the hardware list in micro-manager to operate the
>> camera. Please let me know what to do. Thank you.
>
> Did you find this information:
>
> https://micro-manager.org/wiki/BaslerAce

Despite the wiki entry I could not find a DLL for Basler in the MM install
folder nor any source code.  The mailing list archives also suggest that
Basler cameras don't work.

Henry Pinkard submitted device adapter code for inclusion in the main MM
build ( GitHub PR <https://github.com/micro-manager/micro-manager/pull/620>
).  Mark Tsuchida agreed to incorporate the code after some cleanup but it
appears that such cleanup never happened.

At the moment you could build Henry's code into a DLL yourself.  Or beg
Henry or Mark to do the cleanup and merge the code.  Or if you are able take
a stab at the cleanup yourself and contribute.

Jon Daniels
Applied Scientific Instrumentation
29391 West Enid Rd, Eugene, OR 97402
Phone: (541) 461-8181 x118

Re: Micro-manager adapter for BASLER USB3 camera

Micro-Manager mailing list

Hi Vikram, Thank you for your help. I tried to use it but it failed.I copied and paste the the .dll file in the in the micro-manager directory. In the hardware communication wizard it shows "Basler Ace (unavailable)" [screen shot attached], even though my pylon viewer [software provided by Basler] is working. Please let me know If I am making nay mistake.

Best Regards
Safi

">

=?UTF-8?b?MTUyODQ5OTk1NzQ5OGJsb2IuanBn?= (59K) Download Attachment

Re: Micro-manager adapter for BASLER USB3 camera

Vikram Kopuri
Thats too bad, I was getting a lot of warning when I tried to compile it.  Only thing I would suggest is to make sure your using the right dll , 32 for 32bit OS, and 64 for 64bit OS.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vikram G Kopuri

1528499957498blob.jpg (59K) Download Attachment
1528499957498blob.jpg (59K) Download Attachment

Re: Micro-manager adapter for BASLER USB3 camera

krak
Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks to everyone involved in the creation of a device
adapter for the Basler camera! It is really a great thing!

I also had issues to install it. I am using the latest version of
micromanager on a 64 computer and am trying to connect a acA1920-40um Basler
camera. The pylon works without issue. I then added the 64 version of the
dll file into the micromanager directory. I also had the message that this
camera is "unavailable". So I tried the 32 version (because while I am at
it, let's try it as well) which didn't work either, without surprise.

I just wanted to inform you on that, I don't have the technical knowledge to
fix this issue, sadly.

I thank you in advance for any reply that might help on that regard and I am
looking forward to be able to use my Basler camera with micro-manager!

Best,
Elise

Re: Micro-manager adapter for BASLER USB3 camera

raacampbell
Hello,

Is there any word on how the Basler camera support is progressing? I
downloaded the nightly build last week but I see no mention of Basler in the
hardware wizard. Basler's Pylon software is functional on my computer.

Re: Micro-manager adapter for BASLER USB3 camera

Vikram Kopuri
Hi,

Last time I had to deal with a Basler on MM , I used opencvgrabber to get frames out of it. Its not ideal but will work in a pinch.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vikram G Kopuri

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 9:52 AM raacampbell <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Is there any word on how the Basler camera support is progressing? I
downloaded the nightly build last week but I see no mention of Basler in the
hardware wizard. Basler's Pylon software is functional on my computer.

Re: Micro-manager adapter for BASLER USB3 camera

JonD
Administrator

> Is there any word on how the Basler camera support is progressing? I
> downloaded the nightly build last week but I see no mention of Basler in
> the hardware wizard. Basler's Pylon software is functional on my computer.

The place to look for updates is the GitHub PR.  From the conversation it
appears this is just waiting on Mark to merge with the main branch, but
there is an unanswered question about .vcxproj.filters file as well.

https://github.com/micro-manager/micro-manager/pull/620

Jon

Re: Micro-manager adapter for BASLER USB3 camera

Andy M
Hello:

I'm guessing that support for the Basler has not been implemented in the
2.0.0 version, beta2 of umanager?  Still don't see a listing for it.

Re: Micro-manager adapter for BASLER USB3 camera

Stuurman, Nico
Hi Andy,

> I'm guessing that support for the Basler has not been implemented in the
> 2.0.0 version, beta2 of umanager?  Still don't see a listing for it.

The Basler device adapter code written by BRRAvi (based on code written
by Henry Pinkard) was added to the micro-manager 1.4 and 2.0-gamma
builds Jan. 15th 2019.  I have not received any feedback about its
functionality (neither is there an update to the Basler page on the
micro-manager website: https://micro-manager.org/wiki/BaslerAce).  I
don't have a Basler camera myself, so can not test.

I don't know what is happening to the 2.0-beta builds, I have no write
access to that repository, and can not maintain it (but would have
expected this change to be automatically propagated).  Please test the
latest 1.4 build and provide feedback.  Then switch to 2.0-gamma for
your daily use.

Re: Micro-manager adapter for BASLER USB3 camera

T1000

Hi Andy,
where ich the link for downloaing the src of beta2 of umanager?
please send me the link si I will test?

BRRavi

Elizabeth Jerison
Is there a binary for 2.0-gamma available? Is this the recommended MM version to use with the new Basler Ace adapter? In general, what is your advice on continuing to run 1.4 (possibly updating the build), vs. switching to one of the 2.0 versions?

thanks,
Elizabeth

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 10:02 AM Stuurman, Nico <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Andy,

> I'm guessing that support for the Basler has not been implemented in the
> 2.0.0 version, beta2 of umanager?  Still don't see a listing for it.

The Basler device adapter code written by BRRAvi (based on code written
by Henry Pinkard) was added to the micro-manager 1.4 and 2.0-gamma
builds Jan. 15th 2019.  I have not received any feedback about its
functionality (neither is there an update to the Basler page on the
micro-manager website: https://micro-manager.org/wiki/BaslerAce).  I
don't have a Basler camera myself, so can not test.

I don't know what is happening to the 2.0-beta builds, I have no write
access to that repository, and can not maintain it (but would have
expected this change to be automatically propagated).  Please test the
latest 1.4 build and provide feedback.  Then switch to 2.0-gamma for
your daily use.

Re: Micro-manager adapter for BASLER USB3 camera

Stuurman, Nico
Hi Elizabeth,

On 2/11/19 3:55 PM, Elizabeth Jerison wrote:
> Is there a binary for 2.0-gamma available? Is this the recommended MM
> version to use with the new Basler Ace adapter? In general, what is
> your advice on continuing to run 1.4 (possibly updating the build),
> vs. switching to one of the 2.0 versions?

Binaries for 2.0-gamma can be found through my website:

https://valelab4.ucsf.edu/~nstuurman/micro-manager/

I looked into adding this to the Micro-Manager website, but it somehow
"feels" wrong (or would be a huge amount of work to do right).  We use
2.0-gamma on all our scopes, and I am no longer developing for 1.4 (but
there is still functionality that not has been fully ported, such as the
diSPIM plugin).

The BaslerAce adapter is present in both 1.4 and 2.0-gamma (all hardware
is first added to 1.4, then propagates to newer versions). If it works
in one, it should work in the other.  You probably need to install the
Basler Pylon software, and may need to copy some of its dlls to the
Micro-Manager directory. It is possible that you need an exact version
of Basler Pylon (the code is build against 5.1.0).  If you figure out
how to make it work, please share your experiences.  It should be
possible to compile this code on Mac and Linux as well.  Let me know if
there is (serious) interest to build it on Mac.

Re: Micro-manager adapter for BASLER USB3 camera

Stuurman, Nico
Hi Elizabeth,

On 2/11/2019 8:31 PM, Elizabeth Jerison wrote:
Thanks! It appears to be working, with the exception of the binning feature.

Great to hear!  Maybe Ravi knows what is up with binning.

Did you check if the BaslerDevice adapter is included in 2.0-gamma?  I expected it to be there, so let me know if it is not and I will look into it (i.e. it should not be necessary to compile the device adapter yourself).

My camera should support binning (and this works in Pylon), and it appears to have been implemented in the MM device adapter, but the interface only gives 1 as a binning option. This is fairly minor from my viewpoint, though.

For others trying to set up something similar, here is what I did:
-Downloaded the pylon 5.1 software
-Checked out  MM 2.0-gamma from Nico's repository (https://github.com/nicost/micro-manager/tree/ViewerPlusCV)
-Compiled BaslerPylon5 from the ViewerPlusCV branch. (I am on a windows machine, so using VS2010 Express.) The only changes necessary were to add the location of my 'pylon' folder to Properties->Configuration Properties->C/C++->General, and to add 'C:\Program Files\Basler\pylon 5\Development\lib\x64' to Properties->Configuration Properties->Linker->General.
-Downloaded and installed the MM 2.0-gamma binary.
-Transferred the BaslerPylon5 .dll to the MM 2.0-gamma installation folder

Other than the binning issue mentioned above, it worked well: the device adapter showed up in the hardware configuration wizard and the camera was recognized by MM. Also, so far no freezing in live mode.

(If I understand correctly, it should also have worked to transfer the existing .dll from the latest version of MM 1.4 directly to the MM 2.0-gamma installation, but I also had to recompile a custom device adapter against one of the new MM versions, so needed a copy of the source code anyhow.)

Nico--thanks a lot for the help!

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 5:19 PM Stuurman, Nico <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Elizabeth,

On 2/11/19 3:55 PM, Elizabeth Jerison wrote:
> Is there a binary for 2.0-gamma available? Is this the recommended MM
> version to use with the new Basler Ace adapter? In general, what is
> your advice on continuing to run 1.4 (possibly updating the build),
> vs. switching to one of the 2.0 versions?

Binaries for 2.0-gamma can be found through my website:

https://valelab4.ucsf.edu/~nstuurman/micro-manager/

I looked into adding this to the Micro-Manager website, but it somehow
"feels" wrong (or would be a huge amount of work to do right).  We use
2.0-gamma on all our scopes, and I am no longer developing for 1.4 (but
there is still functionality that not has been fully ported, such as the
diSPIM plugin).

The BaslerAce adapter is present in both 1.4 and 2.0-gamma (all hardware
is first added to 1.4, then propagates to newer versions). If it works
in one, it should work in the other.  You probably need to install the
Basler Pylon software, and may need to copy some of its dlls to the
Micro-Manager directory. It is possible that you need an exact version
of Basler Pylon (the code is build against 5.1.0).  If you figure out
how to make it work, please share your experiences.  It should be
possible to compile this code on Mac and Linux as well.  Let me know if
there is (serious) interest to build it on Mac.

Re: Micro-manager adapter for BASLER USB3 camera

T1000

Hi Elizabeth,

Binning is not implamented yet.

But, I can do.

BR

Ravi

> [...]

there is still functionality that not has been fully ported, such as the
diSPIM plugin).

The BaslerAce adapter is present in both 1.4 and 2.0-gamma (all hardware
is first added to 1.4, then propagates to newer versions). If it works
in one, it should work in the other.  You probably need to install the
Basler Pylon software, and may need to copy some of its dlls to the
Micro-Manager directory. It is possible that you need an exact version
of Basler Pylon (the code is build against 5.1.0).  If you figure out
how to make it work, please share your experiences.  It should be
possible to compile this code on Mac and Linux as well.  Let me know if
there is (serious) interest to build it on Mac.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht Ende-----

Re: Micro-manager adapter for BASLER USB3 camera

I have add Binning support and tested with GigE and USB camera.

The image handling in snapshot mode also been improved.

Best regards,

Ravi

> [...]

"feels" wrong (or would be a huge amount of work to do right).  We use
2.0-gamma on all our scopes, and I am no longer developing for 1.4 (but
there is still functionality that not has been fully ported, such as the
diSPIM plugin).

The BaslerAce adapter is present in both 1.4 and 2.0-gamma (all hardware
is first added to 1.4, then propagates to newer versions). If it works
in one, it should work in the other.  You probably need to install the
Basler Pylon software, and may need to copy some of its dlls to the
Micro-Manager directory. It is possible that you need an exact version
of Basler Pylon (the code is build against 5.1.0).  If you figure out
how to make it work, please share your experiences.  It should be
possible to compile this code on Mac and Linux as well.  Let me know if
there is (serious) interest to build it on Mac.

BaslerPylon5Camera.h (5K) Download Attachment
BaslerPylon5Camera.cpp (35K) Download Attachment