Micro manager interaction with Zeiss Axio Observer 7

Micro manager interaction with Zeiss Axio Observer 7

Cox J.R.

Hi All,

This is my first post, so I hope this is the correct way.

I am trying to control a Zeiss Axio Observer 7 (CAN29 category) in Micro Manager and I have read in the guide that this is only supported via RS232 female to female connection. Is this still the case or is there USB support yet? And if not, might RS232 (F) to USB (M) be a suitable alternative, our acquisition PC does not have RS232 ports,

Thanks,

Josh

Joshua Cox

Research Technician

Ward Ober Group

Centre for Cancer Immunology

Southampton University SGH

Tel: 023 8120 5610

Re: Micro manager interaction with Zeiss Axio Observer 7

Chon U Chan
ZeissCAN29 +  RS-232 communication is the way to go I think, as the
USB interface has no additional benefit. What you need is a USB to serial
adapter. Note that the serial cable must be a "null modem cable".

Regards,

Chon

On Fri, 24 May 2019 at 11:55, Cox J.R. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> This is my first post, so I hope this is the correct way.
>

> I am trying to control a Zeiss Axio Observer 7 (CAN29 category) in Micro Manager and I have read in the guide that this is only supported via RS232 female to female connection. Is this still the case or is there USB support yet? And if not, might RS232 (F) to USB (M) be a suitable alternative, our acquisition PC does not have RS232 ports,
>

> Thanks,
>
> Josh
>

> Joshua Cox
>
> Research Technician
>
> Ward Ober Group
>
> Centre for Cancer Immunology
>
> Southampton University SGH
>
> Tel: 023 8120 5610

Re: Micro manager interaction with Zeiss Axio Observer 7

Maxime Deforet

Hi Josh,

I recently set up a Zeiss AxioZoom that also works with CAN29. Zeiss requires not only a female to female RS232, but it has to be a null-modem RS232 cable. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem

My computer doesn’t have a RS232 port, so I use a USB to RS232 adapter. So it goes: Computer > USB adapter > RS232 null-modem cable > microscope.

As far as I know, ZeissCAN29 adapter in Micro-Manager doesn’t support USB.

I hope it helps,

Max

On 5/24/19, 5:55 PM, "Cox J.R." <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All,

This is my first post, so I hope this is the correct way.

I am trying to control a Zeiss Axio Observer 7 (CAN29 category) in Micro Manager and I have read in the guide that this is only supported via RS232 female to female connection. Is this still the case or is there USB support yet? And if not, might RS232 (F) to USB (M) be a suitable alternative, our acquisition PC does not have RS232 ports,

Thanks,

Josh

Joshua Cox

Research Technician

Ward Ober Group

Centre for Cancer Immunology

Southampton University SGH

Tel: 023 8120 5610

Re: Micro manager interaction with Zeiss Axio Observer 7

Hi Joshua,

> This is my first post, so I hope this is the correct way.

Perfect;)

> I am trying to control a Zeiss Axio Observer 7 (CAN29 category) in
> Micro Manager and I have read in the guide that this is only supported
> via RS232 female to female connection. Is this still the case or is
> there USB support yet? And if not, might RS232 (F) to USB (M) be a
> suitable alternative, our acquisition PC does not have RS232 ports,

Yes, a USB to serial convert will be fine.  However, you will need to
make sure that the RD232 cable is a null modem cable (for instance, see:
https://www.decisivetactics.com/support/view?article=crossover-or-null-modem-vs-straight-through-serial-cable).
I vaguely remember that there may be additional issue related to
handshaking and therefore always keep an "official" Zeiss serial cable
handy.  It may be possible that you can configure your USB converter to
do some of this pin-out magic in software, but that will vary depending
on the USB adapter that you are using.

Also, it would be interesting to hear from other with success/failure
with the Zeiss Axio Observer 7.

It is a few years ago that I last looks at USB support, and things were
tantalizing close, but did not work reliably, so I would not go that
route unless you want to spend a lot of time learning about USB
interfaces and drivers.

Say Hi to Raimund!

Re: Micro manager interaction with Zeiss Axio Observer 7

Cox J.R.
Dear Maxime and Nico,

Thanks very much for your help, I am going to try the null modem USB to RS232 and I'll let you know how I get on,

Many thanks,
Josh

https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.decisivetactics.com%2Fsupport%2Fview%3Farticle%3Dcrossover-or-null-modem-vs-straight-through-serial-cable&amp;data=01%7C01%7CJ.R.Cox%40soton.ac.uk%7C1eaca1003c4b474a72e908d6e07dce37%7C4a5378f929f44d3ebe89669d03ada9d8%7C0&amp;sdata=QZ7ArWgySCNLl7psGJp29bS7QXxSD8bOyepz40rnI5Q%3D&amp;reserved=0).

https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.sourceforge.net%2Flists%2Flistinfo%2Fmicro-manager-general&amp;data=01%7C01%7CJ.R.Cox%40soton.ac.uk%7C1eaca1003c4b474a72e908d6e07dce37%7C4a5378f929f44d3ebe89669d03ada9d8%7C0&amp;sdata=eafv%2FOSZlADnmMKK%2BP7u%2BUn3IaQsM0IDKDUpxWoi%2F7U%3D&amp;reserved=0