MicroManager Support for Kinetic Mode on Andor Ixon EMCCD Cameras

MicroManager Support for Kinetic Mode on Andor Ixon EMCCD Cameras

Greg Scott Bentsen

Hi -

I'm using the Andor device adapter in micromanager to control an Ixon Ultra camera - I'd like to be able to put the camera in "Fast Kinetics Mode" (see http://www.andor.com/learning-academy/fast-kinetics-mode-technical-overview). Is this mode exposed in micromanager, or do I have to make changes to the Andor device adapter source code to access it?

Thanks so much

 - Greg

Re: -|EXT|- MicroManager Support for Kinetic Mode on Andor Ixon EMCCD Cameras

AndorThirdParty

Hi Greg,

Unfortunately the “Fast Kinetics” acquisition mode is not exposed in micromanager. The acquisition mode is handled by the device adapter behind the scenes, only allowing Single Scan (snap), Kinetic (MDA) and Run Till Abort (live) acquisitions.

You should be able to achieve something similar by setting the optAcquire property to “Fastest Frame Rate”. However, the achieved frame rate will not match that which can be achieved with “Fast Kinetics”. In “Fast Kinetics” mode the sensor is used for storage, which allows faster acquisitions for small areas of interest, but also limits the length of the series to the data which can be stored on the sensor. You also must avoid light falling on the sensor outside of the area of interest to avoid corruption of the data.

What are you trying to achieve in your experiment? I may be able to give you some suggestions as to how to acquire the images you want through micromanager.

Thanks,

Jack Gaston

Software Engineer

AndorLogo

I'm using the Andor device adapter in micromanager to control an Ixon Ultra camera - I'd like to be able to put the camera in "Fast Kinetics Mode" (see http://www.andor.com/learning-academy/fast-kinetics-mode-technical-overview). Is this mode exposed in micromanager, or do I have to make changes to the Andor device adapter source code to access it?

Thanks so much

 - Greg

Re: -|EXT|- MicroManager Support for Kinetic Mode on Andor Ixon EMCCD Cameras

Greg Scott Bentsen

Hi Jack -

Thanks for getting back to me. What we're trying to do is take multiple exposures separated by short periods of vertical shifting (e.g. expose for 80us, do vertical shift by ~100 pixels, expose again for 80us, etc.).

What is the Kinetic (MDA) mode you mentioned, and how does it differ from the "Fast Kinetic" mode?

Thanks

 - Greg

I'm using the Andor device adapter in micromanager to control an Ixon Ultra camera - I'd like to be able to put the camera in "Fast Kinetics Mode" (see http://www.andor.com/learning-academy/fast-kinetics-mode-technical-overview). Is this mode exposed in micromanager, or do I have to make changes to the Andor device adapter source code to access it?

Thanks so much

 - Greg

Re: -|EXT|- MicroManager Support for Kinetic Mode on Andor Ixon EMCCD Cameras

AndorThirdParty

Hi Greg,

By Kinetic I meant the Kinetic Series acquisition mode, which captures a sequence of single scans. This is used in the MicroManager device adapter for Multi-Dimensional Acquisitions.

This mode doesn’t allow you to expose a small number of rows, and use the sensor as temporary storage while successive frames are acquired. A readout takes place between frames, so the achievable frame rate is lower.

You could define a Region of Interest of your (for example) 100 rows and acquire a multi-dimensional acquisition with your exposure of 80us. However, as this limits the frame rate I imagine it doesn’t suit your needs.

I did a quick check and, with those settings I get about 4.5 milliseconds between frames – is this too slow for your experiment?

Thanks,

Jack Gaston

Software Engineer

AndorLogo

I'm using the Andor device adapter in micromanager to control an Ixon Ultra camera - I'd like to be able to put the camera in "Fast Kinetics Mode" (see http://www.andor.com/learning-academy/fast-kinetics-mode-technical-overview). Is this mode exposed in micromanager, or do I have to make changes to the Andor device adapter source code to access it?

Thanks so much

 - Greg

This e-mail is confidential and is for the addressee only.   Please refer to
www.oxinst.com/email-statement for regulatory information.