MicroManager error "Abnormal Program Termination"

MicroManager error "Abnormal Program Termination"

anh duong
Hi, Everyone.

We are developing the new device adapter for the controller Chuo Seiki MD5000 series.
After step 6 of Hardware Configuration Manager, the program shut down immediately with an error message
"javaw.exe"
"Abnormal Program Termination"

This error happened with only the 1-axis motor controller. The 2 axis controller can be load without this error.
We can not understand the cause of this error.
Could you please give us some comment or solution for this error.

Sincerely yours
DUONG QUANG ANH
Chuo Precision Industrial Co., LTD.
Technical Derpartment
1-7-8, Uchi-kanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 101-0047, Japan
Phone: (+81)3-5281-8691
Cellphone: (+81)80 - 4204 - 1608
E-mail: [hidden email]
E-mail (work): [hidden email]
E-mail (academy): [hidden email]

hs_err_pid9136.log (32K) Download Attachment

Re: MicroManager error "Abnormal Program Termination"

Stuurman, Nico
Hi  Anh Duong,

> We are developing the new device adapter for the controller Chuo Seiki
> MD5000 series.
> After step 6 of Hardware Configuration Manager, the program shut down
> immediately with an error message
> "javaw.exe"
> "Abnormal Program Termination"
>
> This error happened with only the 1-axis motor controller. The 2 axis
> controller can be load without this error.
> We can not understand the cause of this error.
> Could you please give us some comment or solution for this error.

After step 6, the device adapter is unloaded (i.e., its Shutdown
function is called), and then re-loaded.  Apparently, there is a bug in
the code of the 1-axis controller that causes the crash.  It could be an
uncaught exception, uninitialized pointer or something else that causes
the crash.  You should use the debugger in Visual Studio to see what
happens in your code at that point in time.

Re: MicroManager error "Abnormal Program Termination"

anh duong
Dear Mr. Nico

I would like to thank you so much for your reply.

In fact, the code of "1-axis device adapter" works normally if applies it on a "2-axis controller" (select 1 axis).
The error happened if I connect it with the 1-axis controller.
However, if I use the software such as Realterm to communicate, both 2 controllers are working fine.

Both 2 controllers use a virtual serial port driver.
I tried to debug the C++ code but no bug was found.
Could you please comment is that problem of the controllers or of the C++ code?

Sincerely Yours,
DUONG QUANG ANH
Chuo Precision Industrial Co., LTD.
Technical Derpartment
1-7-8, Uchi-kanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 101-0047, Japan
Phone: (+81)3-5281-8691
Cellphone: (+81)80 - 4204 - 1608
E-mail: [hidden email]
E-mail (work): [hidden email]
E-mail (academy): [hidden email]

Hi  Anh Duong,

On 5/29/2019 7:08 PM, anh duong wrote:

> Dear Mr. Nico
>
> I would like to thank you so much for your reply.
>
> In fact, the code of "1-axis device adapter" works normally if applies
> it on a "2-axis controller" (select 1 axis).
> The error happened if I connect it with the 1-axis controller.
> However, if I use the software such as Realterm to communicate, both 2
> controllers are working fine.
>
> Both 2 controllers use a virtual serial port driver.
> I tried to debug the C++ code but no bug was found.
> Could you please comment is that problem of the controllers or of the
> C++ code?

That sounds interesting!  So, if I understand correctly, the 1-axis
device adapter works correctly when you connect it to a 2-axis
controller, but you get the crash when you connect it to a 1-axis
controller?

Sounds like the 1-axis adapter code can not deal with one of the answers
it gets from the 1-axis controller.

Switch on debug mode (in Tools > Options in MM), and see what the last
communication before the crash looks like.  Then set a break point in
your code, step through it, and you may find out what is happening.
That is the fun of hardware debugging!

Good luck!

Re: MicroManager error "Abnormal Program Termination"

anh duong
Dear Mr.Nico

I would like to thank you so much for your help.
Follow the debug log file.
I found out that there is one different from the return string of 1-axis controller
that causes an error in string.substr() command.

I add an exception and the problem was solved.

On 5/29/19 11:52 PM, anh duong wrote:

> I would like to thank you so much for your help.
> Follow the debug log file.
> I found out that there is one different from the return string of
> 1-axis controller
> that causes an error in string.substr() command.
>
> I add an exception and the problem was solved.

Wonderful!  Thanks for sharing!

Please do email me the updated code (off-list) once you are happy with
it, so that I can push it into the repository.