Micromanager, Hammamatsu and Windows 10 compatability

Micromanager, Hammamatsu and Windows 10 compatability

Silvia JAMRICHOVA
Hi,

we were running micromanager on a Windows 7 with the Hamamatsu camera (model C4742-80-12AG). We then upgraded to Windows 10 and the camera configuration worked just fine. But since we replaced our old computer with Lenovo ThinkCentre, we're not able to configure the camera. Do you have any suggestions what could be the problem?

Thank you,
Silvia

Re: Micromanager, Hammamatsu and Windows 10 compatability

m.losen

Hi Silvia,

How is your camera connected to the PC?

Assuming its Firewire:

There are two hardware versions of 6-pin Firewire cards (with different chipsets, one of them with a TI chipset, if I remember correctly) and two alternative drivers (one of them is includes “legacy” in the name) that can be installed by Windows (my experience with windows 7 and lower) with each version.

The camera’s I’ve worked with only work with 1 out of 4 possible combinations of these.

Greetings,

Mario

Re: Micromanager, Hammamatsu and Windows 10 compatability

nanthony
Hi Silvia,

I would first check to see if you can get the camera to work with
Hamamatsu's HCImage software. If that doesn't work then probably only
Hamamatsu will be able to help you get it working.

--Nick

Re: Micromanager, Hammamatsu and Windows 10 compatability

Silvia JAMRICHOVA
Hi Nick,

thank you for your response. Today we found out that the problem was in incompatibility between the firewire card and the computer. Maybe that can help others. Thanks again!

Best,
Silvia

Re: Micromanager, Hammamatsu and Windows 10 compatability

Melissa Glidewell

Hi Silvia and all,

We have found that some PCIe slots are not compatible with certain frame grabber cards. A slot that works with Hamamatsu may not work with PCO or Andor and vice versa. I recently worked with a new computer with multiple slots that did not work with Flash4 cards; eventually we moved the GPU into a slot that did not work for the camera card so we could put a camera card in its slot. (The GPU worked nominally there.) This can be a time consuming process, especially when using 2 cameras.

We've asked Hamamatsu for details regarding PCIe slot compatibility/incompatibility, but so far they have not been able to provide an answer.

Best,
Melissa

Re: Micromanager, Hammamatsu and Windows 10 compatability

Franz Reitner, pco ag

Hi Melissa,

probably it is an issue with PCIe lanes provided by the system. We at PCO always take a look at the mainboard manual in order to find a compatible slot.

Pitfalls:

-          16x slot mechanically might be a 8x slot electrically by design

-          Slot is not connected to the CPU but the chipset (performance)

-          Mainboard has got some 16x slots (also electrically), but the CPU has got too less lines

Incompatibility might also be fixed by a BIOS update (sometimes…).

Dipl.-Ing. (FH)

Franz Reitner

Product Development – Software

+49 (0) 9441 2005 0

PCO AG, Donaupark 11, 93309 Kelheim, Germany, www.pco.de

Vorstand / Managing Board: Dr. Emil Ott (Chairman), Alexander Grünig, Luitpold Kaspar

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats / Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Johann Plöb

USt. ID-Nr. / VAT: DE128590843, Registergericht / Register Court: Amtsgericht Regensburg HRB 9157

Sitz der Gesellschaft / Registered Office: Kelheim

From: "Silvia JAMRICHOVA" [hidden email]

To: Micro-Manager General [hidden email]