MightEx Polygon device - can't install

pfre017
This post was updated on .
I'm trying to make use of the latest plugin to control a MightEx Polygon patterned illumination device.  I am unable to add the device in MicroManager "Hardware Configuration Wizard". The device is listed ("MightexPolygon") but is "unavailable" despite the device being connected and working using the MightEx software (PolyLite).

Are there some files/settings that I need to copy/enable to be able to make the Polygon device "available".

Looking forward to some help with this issue.

Re: MightEx Polygob device - can't install

Chris Weisiger
Hello,

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 3:14 PM, pfre017 <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm trying to make use of the latest plugin to control a *MightEx Polygon*
patterned illumination device.  I am unable to add the device in
MicroManager "Hardware Configuration Wizard". The device is listed
("MightexPolygon") but is "unavailable" despite the device being connected
and working using the MightEx software (PolyLite).

Are there some files/settings that I need to copy/enable to be able to make
the Polygon device "available".

Looking forward to some help with this issue.

It's possible (indeed, likely) that there are some library files that the MightexPolygon device adapter needs to be able to communicate with the Polygon. Your installation of PolyLite may well have them. Try copying any files ending in ".dll" from the PolyLite's installation into your µManager install directory.

If this works, please let us know what the files were named so we can update the woefully-incomplete wiki page for the Polygon device adapter ( https://micro-manager.org/wiki/MightexPolygon ). Thanks!

-Chris

Re: MightEx Polygob device - can't install

pfre017
Hi Chris,

So I have done some testing and made some progress - I can now add the MightEx Polygon device to the Hardware Configuration of MM. Below is an unedited record of what I did:

Looked at MM log and found:
2015-09-10T08:57:33.985530 tid3464 [IFO,App] MightexPolygon
2015-09-10T08:57:33.986531 tid3464 [IFO,App] Error: Unable to load MightexPolygon library: Failed to load device adapter "MightexPolygon" [ Failed to load module "C:\Program Files\Micro-Manager-1.4\mmgr_dal_MightexPolygon.dll" [ The module, or a module it depends upon, could not be found (Windows error: The specified module could not be found.) ] ]

Used 'Dependency Walker' application (http://www.dependencywalker.com/) to find any missing Modules from the "mmgr_dal_MightexPolygon.dll" (which comes with MM).

Several missing modules were detected (mostly delayed loading???), only one looked interesting "MT_POLYGON400_IMGC.DLL". Found this library file in my MightEx folder (came from MightEx software), copied to root MM folder ("Micro-Manager-1.4"). I should note that I also copied 2 other dll's from my MightEx software folder and distributed them pretty much everywhere in the MM folder structure - BUT, it was the "MT_POLYGON400_IMGC.DLL" that made the difference. Will need to test removing the other files that I copied, to see if they are also needed (when I have time).

Restarting MM, MightExPolygon was now detected (not listed as 'unavailable' any more) in Hardware Configuration. Added the hardware (had to close MightEx PolyLite software which was already running and hogging the device causing MM to freeze until PolyLite was closed).

Everything seems fine (Configuration file saves ok with the Polygon device added). Going to Device Property Browser, MightExPolygon is listed (with a bunch of sensible properties as seen in MightEx PolyLite software), and the MightExPolygon is set as the default Core-SLM. Re-starting MM detects and loads the Polygon device no problems (according to the MM log file).

However, running the plugin "Mightex Polygon Plugin" fails, here is the MM log
Plugin command: Mightex Polygon Plugin
2015-09-10T09:14:03.892511 tid5840 [IFO,App] Thread 14 (AWT-EventQueue-0) terminated with uncaught exception
2015-09-10T09:14:03.892511 tid5840 [IFO,App] java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: setSelectedIndex: 1 out of bounds
2015-09-10T09:14:03.892511 tid5840 [IFO,App]   at javax.swing.JComboBox.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
2015-09-10T09:14:03.892511 tid5840 [IFO,App]   at org.micromanager.polygon.PolygonForm.<init>(PolygonForm.java:137)
2015-09-10T09:14:03.892511 tid5840 [IFO,App]   at org.micromanager.polygon.PolygonPlugin.show(PolygonPlugin.java:61)
2015-09-10T09:14:03.892511 tid5840 [IFO,App]   at org.micromanager.pluginmanagement.PluginManager.displayPlugin(PluginManager.java:114)
2015-09-10T09:14:03.892511 tid5840 [IFO,App]   at org.micromanager.pluginmanagement.PluginManager.access$100(Plugi...

Looks like an "Out of Bounds" error in some combobox in the plugin.

Tried a clean Hardware configuration file (only the Core and MightExPolygon), but still not able to get the MightEx Polygon Plugin to work.

Some progress though, but still not there yet.

pete

Re: MightEx Polygob device - can't install

Chris Weisiger
Hi Pete,

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 2:37 PM, pfre017 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Chris,

So I have done some testing and made some progress - I can now add the
MightEx Polygon device to the Hardware Configuration of MM. Below is an
unedited record of what I did:

Awesome! Thanks very much for the detailed analysis. I've updated the wiki for the MightexPolygon (mostly by just linking to this email on nabble) so others can find this information.

[...]

Hm, that's strange. Looking at the code, I think the only thing that could be going wrong here is an exception during initialization of the plugin's GUI. Were there any other log messages that showed up before the errors you listed earlier? Feel free to send us a Problem Report in which you run the plugin. Unfortunately, though, we can't really debug the plugin over here (as it requires a Mightex Polygon to be installed before it will run).

There's also evidently an issue that causes the plugin as built by our build systems to differ in critical ways compared to the plugin as built by Mightex themselves. I don't know what the symptoms of that would be. The current recommended solution is to contact Mightex for a "fixed" download of the plugin .jar file. I've CC'd Daniel Wen of Mightex in this email, who was our contact in the past. It's unclear what exactly is going wrong in the build process, but hopefully this will get fixed soon.

I hope this helps. Thanks for your detailed analysis!

-Chris

Re: MightEx Polygon device - can't install

Matthijs
Dear Micro-Managers,

We recently acquired a Polygon 400 system, and are running into the same
problem as described a long time ago:

pfre017 wrote
*
*
>  patterned illumination device.  I am unable to add the device in
> MicroManager "Hardware Configuration Wizard". The device is listed
> ("MightexPolygon") but is "unavailable" despite the device being connected
> and working using the MightEx software (PolyLite).

Unfortunately, the solution then (to copy relevant .dll files to the
uManager installation directory) appears not to solve the issue for us. I
was wondering if anyone else here may already have solved this? I'm sure we
are not the only ones with a Polygon, presumably there is a way to get it
working?

For reference, I tried a somewhat older uManager version, as well as the
latest nightly build to date. In both versions, the device adapter shows as
unavailable.

All the best,

  Matthijs

Re: MightEx Polygon device - can't install

JB Lugagne
Hi Matthijs,

did you (or anyone) manage to interface a MightEx Polygon with micromanager
recently? I have been copying the MT_POLYGON400_IMGC.DLL everywhere and
can't get MM (2.0 and 1.4) to see it as available. (I am able to connect and
control it via NIS elements)

We recently acquired a Polygon ourselves thinking it would be possible to
interface it with MM, if nobody has been able to do it recently, I think
there should be a warning message on the MightexPolygon page on MM's website
about that.

Thank you,
Jean-Baptiste

Re: MightEx Polygon device - can't install

Matthijs
Hi Jean-Baptiste,

JB Lugagne wrote
> Hi Matthijs,
>
> did you (or anyone) manage to interface a MightEx Polygon with
> micromanager
> recently? I have been copying the MT_POLYGON400_IMGC.DLL everywhere and
> can't get MM (2.0 and 1.4) to see it as available.

Unfortunately we only had the Polygon on loan for a few days (many thanks to
MCI Neuroscience!) and when we encountered difficulties setting it up with
MicroManager we focused on testing our experiments, rather than delve deeper
into these software problems.

I am fairly certain these issues can be resolved, as I recently saw it in
action in the lab of dr. Peter Freestone, whom I believe is also on this
mailing list? Likely the drivers need a specific version of MicroManager,
possibly Mightex can help getting the Polygon to work with more recent
releases?

We are still debating acquiring a Polygon for future work, so if you do find
a solution I would be much obliged if you could let us know.

All the best,

 Matthijs

Re: MightEx Polygon device - can't install

JB Lugagne
So I have been exchanging emails with Dr. Freestone and also the people over
at Mightex and finally got the DMD to connect and load.

First of all, in addition to copying the MT_POLYGON400_IMGC.DLL file at the
root of the MM folder, you will also need to do the same thing with
MT_Polygon400_SDK.DLL.

Then, at the root of your Polygon's install folder - mine was within the
NIS-elements folder in Program Files, but for other people it might be under
the Polyline(?) folder - there should be a 'MT_Polygon400_SDK' folder.
Within that folder is at least one other subfolder with a name like
'DSIGeeeeeeeeeeeeLAP10141031002', and if like us you've had a couple loaners
you might have more than one. In those are device-specific configuration
files.
You will have to copy the entire folder 'MT_Polygon400_SDK' to the root of
your MM installation.

After this is done, restart MM and you should be able to add the Polygon. I
cannot however find the Mightex Polygon Plugin (
https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Mightex_Polygon_Plugin
<https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Mightex_Polygon_Plugin>  ) in my list. This
is unfortunate as it would have made it possible for me to run a few quick
and dirty tests. But it seems to be working fine and I'm able to use it as
core SLM.

Dr. Freestone has been able to replicate this procedure successfully, and it
worked in both MM2.0-beta and 1.4 (recent 64 bits nightlies) on my end.

A big thank you to Dr. Freestone and to the Mightex people.

Best regards,
Jean-Baptiste