Mightex Camera Very Slow Frame Rate in Multi-D Acquisition Mode

Mightex Camera Very Slow Frame Rate in Multi-D Acquisition Mode

Joseph Raimondo
Hi
I would dearly love some help if possible. I'm using a Mightex Camera CCE-B013-U with micromanager and I get the same issue using version 1.4 or the new version 2. I'm using the Mightex drier which works well: https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Mightex_C_Ca
In live mode I can image at 50 fps, but as soon as I go to multi-dimensional acquisition mode with multiple time points the frame rate I can capture drops right down to about 2 fps regardless of the exposure time I use (e.g. even with 20 ms exposure time I only get about 2-3 fps - which is very slow). In addition if the interval duration is less than the exposure time it doesn't capture anything at all.
It seems to be some software issue with MM.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Joseph
Disclaimer - University of Cape Town This email is subject to UCT policies and email disclaimer published on our website at http://www.uct.ac.za/main/email-disclaimer or obtainable from +27 21 650 9111. If this email is not related to the business of UCT, it is sent by the sender in an individual capacity. Please report security incidents or abuse via https://csirt.uct.ac.za/page/report-an-incident.php.

Re: Mightex Camera Very Slow Frame Rate in Multi-D Acquisition Mode

Stuurman, Nico
Hi Joseph,

On 7/3/2019 2:04 AM, Joseph Raimondo wrote:
I would dearly love some help if possible. I'm using a Mightex Camera CCE-B013-U with micromanager and I get the same issue using version 1.4 or the new version 2. I'm using the Mightex drier which works well: https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Mightex_C_Ca
In live mode I can image at 50 fps, but as soon as I go to multi-dimensional acquisition mode with multiple time points the frame rate I can capture drops right down to about 2 fps regardless of the exposure time I use (e.g. even with 20 ms exposure time I only get about 2-3 fps - which is very slow). In addition if the interval duration is less than the exposure time it doesn't capture anything at all.
It seems to be some software issue with MM.

Cameras have two "modes", that we call "Snap" and "Sequence" mode.  Think about a photo-camera versus a video camera.  In "Snap" mode, there is quite a bit of overhead, leading to slow frame rates (how slow depends on the camera).  Live mode and MDAs when the interval is less than the exposure will use Sequence mode.  Apparently, something is just not right with the Mightext device adapter code causing the Sequence mode to work in Live mode but not for MDAs.

It may be best to contact Mightex, and hope that the person who wrote the Device Adapter can fix the bug.  You could also look at the code yourself, and see if anything stands out.  I just looked at a bit, but do not see anything clearly wrong.  This will probably need debugging with the camera connected to a computer.

Re: Mightex Camera Very Slow Frame Rate in Multi-D Acquisition Mode

Joseph Raimondo
Dear Nico
Thank you for your very useful response, and diagnosis of the issue, which makes a lot of sense! Unfortunately my coding skills probably aren't quite up to the challenge so I'll contact mightex and see if they can help.
All the best
Joe