Modifying device drivers on Mac (PPC)

ahodge

Hello. Has anyone had any experience modifying device drivers on a PPC?
Specifically, I have modified the dc1394 adapter on some of our machines
so we can interact with the I/O pins available on some cameras through a
Micromanager plugin. It works well on our Intel Macs, but I can't get it
going on the PPC. I download both the binary and the source with (as far
as I can tell) matching version numbers. Then I compile the source, and
link the libmmgr_dal_dc1394.so file to
/Applications/Micro-Manager1.3/libmmgr_dal_dc1394. I get the following
error:

Error code: 39
Line 7: Device,Guppy,dc1394,dc1394_CAM
Error code: 6
Device interface version: core=31, library=32
Device interface version mismatch.

Line 19: Property,Core,Camera,Guppy
Error code: 35
Camera
Core property is read-only or the requested value is not allowed.

I may very well be overlooking something simple, but I've tried for a few
days to solve this problem, and now it's time (humbly) to ask for help.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Modifying device drivers on Mac (PPC)

Nico Stuurman-4
Hi Alex,

> Hello. Has anyone had any experience modifying device drivers on a
> PPC?
> Specifically, I have modified the dc1394 adapter on some of our
> machines
> so we can interact with the I/O pins available on some cameras
> through a
> Micromanager plugin. It works well on our Intel Macs, but I can't
> get it
> going on the PPC.

> Error code: 39
> Line 7: Device,Guppy,dc1394,dc1394_CAM
> Error code: 6
> Device interface version: core=31, library=32
> Device interface version mismatch.
>
> I may very well be overlooking something simple, but I've tried for
> a few
> days to solve this problem, and now it's time (humbly) to ask for
> help.

No need to be humble!

This error means that your adapter was compiled with another version
of the device interface (as defined in the file MMDevice.h) than the
version of MMCore that you are using.  If Micro-Manager would not
throw this error, very likely a dramatic run time crash would happen
because either the adapter or the Core would not have a function that
the other party would expect to be present.

My guess is that you are using an older version of the PPC binaries.
1.3.40 is available, but it was hidden from the main download page  ( http://micro-manager.org/downloads.php
  ) for a while.  If you were not yet using 1.3.40, try downloading
and installing and let us know if that fixes the issue.

Also, I'd be happy to receive patches so that your changes can be
incorporated in the next MIcro-Manager version (if your think that
would make sense).

Re: Modifying device drivers on Mac (PPC)

ahodge

Hi Nico.

Thanks for the quick response. All up and running now. I'd be very happy
to send you patches, and contribute anything I can that would be useful.
Basically, I just added extra properties that enable get/set of the
cameras register values. Our application is pretty specific (coordinating
LED flashes with image acquisition), but I think those properties may be
of general use in other timing/triggering applications.

Thanks again,
Alex