Quantcast

More than two DAC lines through Arduino

Jens
Dear List,

I am using the Arduino DAC feature but the currently implemented DAC chip only sports 2 DAC lines (Thanks to Nico for extending the Arduino device adapter description!)
I would like to run 4 LEDs and 4 Lasers as well as one z-piezo. So I would ideally need 9 DAC lines.
Has anybody (Nico???) tried to daisy-chain the TLV5618 using the SPI protocol?
Alternatively, is it possible to connect several Arduinos?

Thanks!

Jens

Dr. Jens Bernhard Bosse

Heinrich Pette Institute
Leibniz Institute for Experimental Virology
Structural Biology of Viruses
Subunit Quantitative Virology
Martinistr. 52
20251 Hamburg
Germany

email:   [hidden email]
phone: +49-040-48051-273

Re: More than two DAC lines through Arduino

Nico Stuurman-2
Hi Jens,

On 1/9/17 8:40 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I am using the Arduino DAC feature but the currently implemented DAC chip only sports 2 DAC lines (Thanks to Nico for extending the Arduino device adapter description!)

That wasn't me! Maxime's description is super good.  Thanks!
> I would like to run 4 LEDs and 4 Lasers as well as one z-piezo. So I would ideally need 9 DAC lines.
> Has anybody (Nico???) tried to daisy-chain the TLV5618 using the SPI protocol?

I haven't done that.  I would probably try to use an 8-channel 8-bit DAC
for the LEDs and lasers (like the TLV5632) and a 1 or 2 channel 16-bit
DAC for the piezo like the DAC7742.  You probably will want 0-5V output
for the 8-channel DAC and 0-10V for the 16-bit DAC.  It would be
absolutely wonderful if someone would design a shield for the Arduino
that would incorporate those chips and the electronics needed to provide
the correct voltages.

> Alternatively, is it possible to connect several Arduinos?

Yes, that should work.  I have systems with multiple Arduinos (but only
using digital outputs).

Re: More than two DAC lines through Arduino

Austin
Hi Jens,

The triggerscope 16 can do this. 0-10V or 0-5V ranges on all lines @ 16 bit resolution.

Austin