NI100x adapter behavior when MDA is idle

NI100x adapter behavior when MDA is idle

Theo As
Hello,

I have a question related to the NI100x adapter and its behavior during MDA.
I am using it as an analog output (Dev1/ao1) to control a CoolLED device,
basically ON or OFF, during a MDA timelapse of X positions every Y minutes
with only one channel.
I want the NI100x to send 5V when it snaps to switch ON the LED, but to
switch it OFF after the snap. Currently, the LED is switched ON all the
time, inbetween the positions but also in between the frames (=85% of the
time).
I guess hardware triggering would do the job, but I wanted to know if there
was an easier way, like to software trigger the NI100x ("send 5V to LED")
only when it snaps, and then switch it off ("send 0V to LED"), or like
associating a virtual shutter to the NI100x.

Thank you!
Best,
Théo

Re: NI100x adapter behavior when MDA is idle

Nico Stuurman-2
Hi Theo,

> I have a question related to the NI100x adapter and its behavior during MDA.
> I am using it as an analog output (Dev1/ao1) to control a CoolLED device,
> basically ON or OFF, during a MDA timelapse of X positions every Y minutes
> with only one channel.
> I want the NI100x to send 5V when it snaps to switch ON the LED, but to
> switch it OFF after the snap. Currently, the LED is switched ON all the
> time, inbetween the positions but also in between the frames (=85% of the
> time).
> I guess hardware triggering would do the job, but I wanted to know if there
> was an easier way, like to software trigger the NI100x ("send 5V to LED")
> only when it snaps, and then switch it off ("send 0V to LED"), or like
> associating a virtual shutter to the NI100x.

I have no experience with the NI100x adapter myself, and was hoping that
Mark would chime in.  However, it is possible that you can "wrap" the
analog output of the NI adapter into a Shutter device.

The Utilities Device adapter has a DAShutter device.  You can ad this,
point it to your NI100x DA device, and hopefully the virtual shutter
will do what it should be doing (clearly, there are some details missing
here, but hopefully this points you in the right direction).

Re: NI100x adapter behavior when MDA is idle

Theo As
Nico Stuurman-2 wrote

> Hi Theo,
>> I have a question related to the NI100x adapter and its behavior during
>> MDA.
>> I am using it as an analog output (Dev1/ao1) to control a CoolLED device,
>> basically ON or OFF, during a MDA timelapse of X positions every Y
>> minutes
>> with only one channel.
>> I want the NI100x to send 5V when it snaps to switch ON the LED, but to
>> switch it OFF after the snap. Currently, the LED is switched ON all the
>> time, inbetween the positions but also in between the frames (=85% of the
>> time).
>> I guess hardware triggering would do the job, but I wanted to know if
>> there
>> was an easier way, like to software trigger the NI100x ("send 5V to LED")
>> only when it snaps, and then switch it off ("send 0V to LED"), or like
>> associating a virtual shutter to the NI100x.
>
> I have no experience with the NI100x adapter myself, and was hoping that
> Mark would chime in.  However, it is possible that you can "wrap" the
> analog output of the NI adapter into a Shutter device.
>
> The Utilities Device adapter has a DAShutter device.  You can ad this,
> point it to your NI100x DA device, and hopefully the virtual shutter
> will do what it should be doing (clearly, there are some details missing
> here, but hopefully this points you in the right direction).

It worked exactly as intended, thanks a lot Nico, truly helpful.
So to recap: I added the "Utilities->DAShutter" device adapter. Then I added
it into my channel settings and pointed it to my AnalogIO from my NI100x.

Best,
Théo