New ObjectiveImaging Oasis stage controller adapter

New ObjectiveImaging Oasis stage controller adapter

Egor Zindy
Hi list,

I recently found out about a better oasis controller than the one I
wrote. Better in the sense that it is built around a device hub and
offers not only xy control, but also z, filterwheels, and TTL or high
voltage shutters (see peripheral screenshot attached).

I took the code from
https://objectiveimaging.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/9000100982-micro-manager-support-mumanager-
(which Don Laferty from ObjectiveImaging wrote back in 2012) and
rewrote some of its logic to make it compatible with recent versions
of MM (xy and z were extensively tested for the past month with 1.4.23
nightly).

One thing I still haven't had a chance to test is multiple card
support. For instance, I'm not sure whether the global iret variable
is safe to use with multiple cards.

Also, the adapter for now is/was simply called "oasis". I named mine
"ObjectiveImaging". Is it worth retiring my adapter in MM version 2
and use "ObjectiveImaging" for Don Laferty's adapter instead? This
will potentially break people's configurations, but I think the added
peripherals will make it worth.

I put my latest source code on Dropbox for now:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5q58bd2gbuv7e0g/Oasis_20170412.zip?dl=0

Let me know how we can proceed with this.

Cheers,
Egor

oasis.png (14K) Download Attachment

Re: New ObjectiveImaging Oasis stage controller adapter

Karthik Suresh
Hi all,

We currently operate a epifluorescence microscope using a Retiga camera and Lambda B/C excitation and emission filter wheels. We would like to install an autofocus system as the scope does not come with one. I noticed that the uManager does have the ThorLabsMFC1 adapter but it says that it is 32-bit only and we're running a 64-bit system. Will this piece of hardware still work with MicroManager. Also, once installed, does MicroManager treat the MFC as a autofocus device?

Thanks,
Karthik

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 5:45 AM, Egor Zindy <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

ThorlabsMFC1

JonD
Administrator
Karthik Suresh wrote
 I noticed that the uManager does have the ThorLabsMFC1 adapter but it says that it is 32-bit only and we're running a 64-bit system. Will this piece of hardware still work with MicroManager.
32-bit programs can be run on a 64-bit system, but drivers generally have to be compiled for either 32-bit or 64-bit.  I'm guessing the crux would be obtaining a 64-bit version of "TMCLWrapperRS232.dll".

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about this specific hardware and/or device adapter can comment.

There are other solutions for automating manual microscopes including from the company I work for; I'll send you some info off-list.

Karthik Suresh wrote
Also, once installed, does MicroManager treat the MFC as a autofocus device?
Any Z-stage working in Micro-manager can be used as the actuation element of software autofocus.  See http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/Clarification-on-Stage-and-Autofocusing-device-adapters-in-micro-manager-tp7587952p7587956.html.

Jon

Jon Daniels
Applied Scientific Instrumentation
29391 West Enid Rd, Eugene, OR 97402
Phone: (541) 461-8181 x118

ThorlabsMFC1

Vincent Maioli
On 31/05/2017 02:01, Karthik Suresh wrote:
Hi all,

We currently operate a epifluorescence microscope using a Retiga camera and Lambda B/C excitation and emission filter wheels. We would like to install an autofocus system as the scope does not come with one. I noticed that the uManager does have the ThorLabsMFC1 adapter but it says that it is 32-bit only and we're running a 64-bit system. Will this piece of hardware still work with MicroManager.

Hello,

We happen to have had the same problem some time ago (running the ThorLabsMFC1 under 64bit micro-manager). First of all, the existing ThorLabsMFC1 device adapter will not work with a 64-bit micro-manager version.
If you don't need large RAM acquisitions (< 4GB I think), you can get away with using micro-manager 32bit and the 32bit adapter on a 64bit windows version (it worked in Win 7 at least).

We needed very large RAM acquisition capabilities, hence I ended up developing a 64bit device adapter. I hesitated in posting it, because it is anything but robust, but it worked well enough for us. It necessitates that you set up the MFC1 in ASCII mode and it controls it via RS232.

I am attaching the source code. I also have a compiled version specifically for the micro-manager version we are using, which is MM Studio version: 1.4.21, MMCore version 7.0.2, Device API version 61, Module API version 10 if useful.

I would be very happy to have some comments or help on this code (I will probably put it on GitHub at some point).

I hope it can be useful for someone,

Best regards,

--
Vincent Maioli

ThorMFCx64.h (4K) Download Attachment
ThorMFCx64.cpp (14K) Download Attachment