Quantcast

New stage driver for RAMPS boards

David Konerding
Hello,

I have uploaded a working stage driver for the RAMPS board (http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.4) and the driver should be included in tonight's nightly build.

RAMPS is normally used for controlling CNC and 3D printers; it converts G-code (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-code) into commands that drive stepper motors.  The RAMPS driver in Micro-Manager converts the stage motion requests into G-code.  The RAMPS board does not include stepper drivers, but you can buy compatible steppers from Pololu or others (http://www.reprapdiscount.com/electronics/13-a4988-pololu-compatible-driver.html#)

We are currently using this in combination with low-cost CNC linear actuators (http://openbuildspartstore.com/c-beam-linear-actuator-bundle/).  You could, for example, purchase the C-Beam (http://openbuildspartstore.com/c-beam-machine-mechanical-bundle/) and adapt optics to the mounting and platform, and use this driver to control an inexpensive scope.

I have tested the driver with a RAMPS 1.4 board and Arduino MEGA (RAMPS is an Arduino MEGA shield) and the results are fairly good, considering the price.  Our hope is that more users adopt inexpensive components  like these for low-end microscopes.

Re: New stage driver for RAMPS boards

MICHAEL GILLIGAN
David,

That is wonderful news for this impecunious amateur
 ... Thank You.

MichaelG.
.

On 28 Aug 2015, at 19:58, David Konerding <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Volko Straub
Hi David,

This sounds really interesting. You say that 'the results are fairly good, considering the price.' Could you be a bit more specific? Do you have any data/information on movement resolution and reproducibility for the setup with the linear actuators you mentioned?

Thanks,
Volko

On 28/08/2015 19:58, David Konerding wrote:
[...]

Kurt Thorn
On 8/30/2015 12:12 AM, Volko Straub wrote:
Hi David,

This sounds really interesting. You say that 'the results are fairly good, considering the price.' Could you be a bit more specific? Do you have any data/information on movement resolution and reproducibility for the setup with the linear actuators you mentioned?

Thanks,
Volko

Hi Volko -

I have a stage and driver board from David and I'm hoping to do some reproducibility tests on the openbuilds stage in the next few weeks.  I'll post to the list when I have results to share.

Kurt

[...]

Associate Professor
Director, Nikon Imaging Center
http://thornlab.ucsf.edu/
http://nic.ucsf.edu/blog/

Re: New stage driver for RAMPS boards

Peter Haub
Hi,

I'm planning to use a RAMPS board as stage controller.
Are there some new experiences with or recommendations for the use of the RAMPS device?

Thanks,

Peter

On 31.08.2015 18:19, Kurt Thorn wrote:
[...]

kljosc

I have MM 1.4.22, built a xy-stage with 2 steppers a RAMPS 1.4 board and Marlin 1.0.2 Unfortunately it does not move with the stage control plugin. In the device property browser I can send G-code which works (e.g. G0 moves).

Any hints or a tutorial?

Thanks
Klemens

Re: New stage driver for RAMPS boards

Victor Caldas
Hi all,

I'm trying to build a ramps xy stage but finding the documentation really confusing. Can someone help?
I bought the ramps controller and trying to make it work with MM.

Is there a place with a tutorial?

Best,
Victor