Nikon AZ100 compatibility

Pavak Shah
Hi Everyone,

My lab was looking to purchase a Nikon AZ100M to be used in conjunction with a workstation running micro-manager and I was wondering if anyone had direct experience working the AZ100M and could comment on the completeness of AZ100M support. I know its listed as supported hardware but I just wanted to make sure that micro-manager is capable of retrieving and controlling zoom, condenser settings, the Z-motor and all of the other hardware parameters supported by Nikon NIS-Elements.

Thanks!
Pavak Shah

UNC-CH/ NC State University
Joint Department of Biomedical Engineering

Re: Nikon AZ100 compatibility

Nico Stuurman-4
Hi Pavak,

My lab was looking to purchase a Nikon AZ100M to be used in conjunction with a workstation running micro-manager and I was wondering if anyone had direct experience working the AZ100M and could comment on the completeness of AZ100M support. I know its listed as supported hardware but I just wanted to make sure that micro-manager is capable of retrieving and controlling zoom, condenser settings, the Z-motor and all of the other hardware parameters supported by Nikon NIS-Elements.

Sorry for the delay.  The Micro-Manager AZ100 adapter control the Nosepiece, Z-stage and Zoom.  I also wrote the code for the Filterblock, but it is currently commented out (forgot why, but it is probably because we decided to motorize ours using parts from ASI, instead of manually switching in the Nikon configuration). Condenser settings are not included in the current code.  Micro-Manager uses its own AZ100 driver.  Be aware that switching between manual Z-control and computer-based Z-control results in homing of the Z-drive which can take up to one minute.  This is due to the AZ100 firmware.  We had ASI put a z-drive onto the AZ100 to work around this design flaw.