Quantcast

Nikon TI DIA Lamp computer control

julou
Hello,

I finally hacked the Ti Hub's port used to control the halogen lamp port in order to control the intensity of a Thorlabs LED. The breakout box also has a TTL input for fast toggling.
This was an old wish of mine (http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/Nikon-TIDiaLamp-Error-tp7578234p7579346.html) that has also become commercially available from Lumencor in the meantime http://lumencor.com/2016/06/30/nikon-oem-specific-peka-light-engine/

Trying to configure the setup with MM 2 (btw this should be independent of 1.4 or 2), I could appreciate that no more crashes related to TIDiaLamp occur anymore (thanks!). However, when the setup is restarted, the device adapter fails to turn on the computer control state of the lamp. The error is:
"Cannot switch DIA lamp when computer control disabled (25001)"

Noticeably:
- ignoring the error and reloading the config a 2nd time solves the issue
- if I switch computer control off with TiControl, and execute the following line (mmc.setProperty("TIDiaLamp", "ComputerControl", "On");), the first time raises the same error, while the second time is successful. Any DIA lamp related command is then successful.

Could someone with access to the NikonTi try to patch the device adapter so that the command is issued twice when ComputerControl is set to On (the first time probably within a try catch)? or is there any reason not to do this?

Thanks,
Thomas
Thomas Julou  |  Computational & Systems Biology  |  Biozentrum – University of Basel  |  Klingelbergstrasse 50/70 CH-4056 Basel  |  +41 (0)61 267 16 21

Re: Nikon TI DIA Lamp computer control

julou
I played a bit more with this, attempting to:
- start MM without loading a config file
- in MMStartup.bsh, load the config file without setting any property of TIDiaLamp
then set ComputerControl on in a trycatch
then defining new property

This made me realise that the problem occurs during the initialisation of the TIDiaLamp device, so I guess the suggestion (issuing the command twice, while catching exceptions at the first attempt) of my previous post should probably be attempted at this step.

Looking forward for your support on this. Best,
Thomas
Thomas Julou  |  Computational & Systems Biology  |  Biozentrum – University of Basel  |  Klingelbergstrasse 50/70 CH-4056 Basel  |  +41 (0)61 267 16 21

Re: Nikon TI DIA Lamp computer control

Jens
Hi Thomas,

I do not have a fix for your problem, but could you share how you hacked the TIs pinout? I would like to put a Thorlabs LED onto our TI, too but toggle it through NIS.

Thanks!

Jens

> Am 21.02.2017 um 09:30 schrieb julou <[hidden email]>:
>
> I played a bit more with this, attempting to:
> - start MM without loading a config file
> - in MMStartup.bsh, load the config file without setting any property of
> TIDiaLamp
> then set ComputerControl on in a trycatch
> then defining new property
>
> This made me realise that the problem occurs during the initialisation of
> the TIDiaLamp device, so I guess the suggestion (issuing the command twice,
> while catching exceptions at the first attempt) of my previous post should
> probably be attempted at this step.
>
> Looking forward for your support on this. Best,
> Thomas
>

> -----
> Thomas Julou  |  Computational & Systems Biology  |  Biozentrum – University of Basel  |  Klingelbergstrasse 50/70 CH-4056 Basel  |  +41 (0)61 267 16 21

Re: Nikon TI DIA Lamp computer control

julou
Hi Jens,

Thanks for your email. It will certainly motivate me to write a wiki page on this hack…
I need to double-check with our electrician who did the job that he doesnt mind sharing it!

Best,
Thomas
Thomas Julou  |  Computational & Systems Biology  |  Biozentrum – University of Basel  |  Klingelbergstrasse 50/70 CH-4056 Basel  |  +41 (0)61 267 16 21

Re: Nikon TI DIA Lamp computer control

julou
Is there any other info I should provide to help this being fixed?
Any way I can access the Ti device adapter code to try contributing a pull request?

Best,
Thomas
Thomas Julou  |  Computational & Systems Biology  |  Biozentrum – University of Basel  |  Klingelbergstrasse 50/70 CH-4056 Basel  |  +41 (0)61 267 16 21

Re: Nikon TI DIA Lamp computer control

Egor Zindy
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your email. It will certainly motivate me to write a wiki page on
this hack…
I need to double-check with our electrician who did the job that he doesnt
mind sharing it!

Add me to the list of interested parties. This sounds really cool.

If that's of any interest, I've used these buck converters in the past to control Thorlabs LEDs. Brilliant little modules:

* Voltage / Current limits via trimpots
* there's a TTL enable pin
* At a stretch, the PWM input is compatible with the Atmega328's output frequency (490Hz).
* Bit of a hack but there's a 5V converter on the board, which I once used to power an Arduino pro micro with.

When you use PWM dimming with a low frequency square wave, the exposure time needs to be high enough (at least 50ms if I remember), otherwise intensity variations become noticeable image to image due to the low number of light pulses during the exposure.

Cheers,
Egor

Best,
Thomas

-----
Thomas Julou  |  Computational & Systems Biology  |  Biozentrum – University of Basel  |  Klingelbergstrasse 50/70 CH-4056 Basel  |  <a href="tel:%2B41%20%280%2961%20267%2016%2021" value="+41612671621">+41 (0)61 267 16 21