Nikon TIDiaLamp Error

12

Nikon TIDiaLamp Error

Nick Bolten
We would like to use Micro-Manager with a Nikon Ti Eclipse motorized microscope with an Andor camera but are running into an dilemma caused by a lamp control error. In short, only older versions of Micro-Manager work with TIDiaLamp and only newer versions of Micro-Manager work with the Andor camera, which prevents us from using Micro-Manager at all.

The Bug:
We get an error when adding the TIDiaLamp module to a configuration with Micro-Manager version 1.4.6 and higher: Error code -2147352571 (80020005 hex). As a result of this error, we cannot add the TIDiaLamp module to a configuration. We do not get this error with Micro-Manager 1.4.5 or lower, so I assume this error was introduced with the latest NikonTI module update (June of 2011, shortly before MM release 1.4.5).

Supporting Information:
If we use a configuration file from version 1.4.5 (where TIDiaLamp produces no error) in combination with MM version 1.4.10, TIDiaLamp controls the lamp but produces the same type mismatch error with every image acquisition, preventing automated capture and generally making acquisition frustrating (many error windows popping up every few seconds). I am hopeful that because the module still seems to work and the error is just a type mismatch, this bug would be relatively simple to fix.

We would be fine using an older version of Micro-Manager, but the Andor camera we want to use is only supported in newer versions of Micro-Manager: 1.4.9-1.4.10. As a result, we are stuck either not using the camera or not controlling brightfield intensity, and therefore can't use Micro-Manager.

This error has been mentioned in a previous post: http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/Nikon-TIDiaLamp-and-Matlab-td6604463.html but was not resolved, just hacked around using the Matlab interface. We are planning to use a shutter as well, but we still require control over brightfield intensity. I can provide any logs/information to help troubleshoot this issue.

Thank you for any help,

-Nick

Re: Nikon TIDiaLamp Error

Nick Bolten
Another post with this error recently got a response saying to check the latest nightly build: http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/Nikon-TIDiaLamp-and-Matlab-td6604463.html .

I checked the nightly build from 20120627 and still get an error that prevents TIDiaLamp function, but it's a new one:
Error code -2147417842 (8001010e hex).

Any help in resolving this bug is greatly appreciated!

-Nick

On 06/25/2012 12:21 PM, Nick Bolten wrote:
[...]

Arthur D. Edelstein
Hi Nick,

Did you try connecting to the TIDiaLamp using Matlab? And did you
enable lamp control from the controller?

Best regards,
Arthur

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Nick Bolten <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Another post with this error recently got a response saying to check the
> latest nightly build:
> http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/Nikon-TIDiaLamp-and-Matlab-td6604463.html
> .
>
> I checked the nightly build from 20120627 and still get an error that
> prevents TIDiaLamp function, but it's a new one:
> Error code -2147417842 (8001010e hex).
>
> Any help in resolving this bug is greatly appreciated!
>
> -Nick
>

> On 06/25/2012 12:21 PM, Nick Bolten wrote:
>
> We would like to use Micro-Manager with a Nikon Ti Eclipse motorized
> microscope with an Andor camera but are running into an dilemma caused by a
> lamp control error. In short, only older versions of Micro-Manager work with
> TIDiaLamp and only newer versions of Micro-Manager work with the Andor
> camera, which prevents us from using Micro-Manager at all.
>
> The Bug:
> We get an error when adding the TIDiaLamp module to a configuration with
> Micro-Manager version 1.4.6 and higher: Error code -2147352571 (80020005
> hex). As a result of this error, we cannot add the TIDiaLamp module to a
> configuration. We do not get this error with Micro-Manager 1.4.5 or lower,
> so I assume this error was introduced with the latest NikonTI module update
> (June of 2011, shortly before MM release 1.4.5).
>
> Supporting Information:
> If we use a configuration file from version 1.4.5 (where TIDiaLamp produces
> no error) in combination with MM version 1.4.10, TIDiaLamp controls the lamp
> but produces the same type mismatch error with every image acquisition,
> preventing automated capture and generally making acquisition frustrating
> (many error windows popping up every few seconds). I am hopeful that because
> the module still seems to work and the error is just a type mismatch, this
> bug would be relatively simple to fix.
>
> We would be fine using an older version of Micro-Manager, but the Andor
> camera we want to use is only supported in newer versions of Micro-Manager:
> 1.4.9-1.4.10. As a result, we are stuck either not using the camera or not
> controlling brightfield intensity, and therefore can't use Micro-Manager.
>
> This error has been mentioned in a previous post:
> http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/Nikon-TIDiaLamp-and-Matlab-td6604463.html
> but was not resolved, just hacked around using the Matlab interface. We are
> planning to use a shutter as well, but we still require control over
> brightfield intensity. I can provide any logs/information to help
> troubleshoot this issue.
>
> Thank you for any help,
>
> -Nick

kd

Re: Nikon TIDiaLamp Error

kd
Dear Arthur and Nick

I am encountering the exact same issue that Nick has.

I am running the MM nightly build from 2012/07/13 and would like to use MM with its native GUI. I am using a Nikon Ti Eclipse microscope, and an Andor camera, and Prior Shutters. However, the TiDiaLamp is not recognized during the Hardware configuraion wizard. I am getting the following error:

"Error on device TIDiaLamp: Error code -2147417842 (8001010e hex)"

I am pretty sure I have the computer control of the Lamp enabled (I can control the lamp via MetaMorph). But I also am not sure where/how I can change whether the lamp can be controlled via the computer if that was the issue (I didn't see such an option in the TIControl/Ti Setup Tools application).

Any help in resolving this issue would be great.

many thanks
knut

Re: Nikon TIDiaLamp Error

Nick Bolten
Hi Knut,

The computer/lamp control switch is a physical toggle switch on the back
of the Lamp. If you can control the brightness with MetaMorph, it's in
computer-controlled mode.

-Nick

On 07/13/2012 06:28 PM, kd wrote:

> Dear Arthur and Nick
>
> I am encountering the exact same issue that Nick has.
>
> I am running the MM nightly build from 2012/07/13 and would like to use MM
> with its native GUI. I am using a Nikon Ti Eclipse microscope, and an Andor
> camera, and Prior Shutters. However, the TiDiaLamp is not recognized during
> the Hardware configuraion wizard. I am getting the following error:
>
> "Error on device TIDiaLamp: Error code -2147417842 (8001010e hex)"
>
> I am pretty sure I have the computer control of the Lamp enabled (I can
> control the lamp via MetaMorph). But I also am not sure where/how I can
> change whether the lamp can be controlled via the computer if that was the
> issue (I didn't see such an option in the TIControl/Ti Setup Tools
> application).
>
> Any help in resolving this issue would be great.
>
> many thanks
> knut

Re: Nikon TIDiaLamp Error

julou
Hello,

I have the same error:
"Error on device TIDiaLamp: Error code -2147417842 (8001010e hex)"
The lamp controller is in computer controlled mode (I can control it using TiControl from Nikon).

Has the issue been adressed in the meantime? Is there any known workaround?
In fact, having this control working would really help for the type of experiment we are starting to run..

Thank you in advance for your help. Regards,

Thomas
Thomas Julou  |  Computational & Systems Biology  |  Biozentrum – University of Basel  |  Klingelbergstrasse 50/70 CH-4056 Basel  |  +41 (0)61 267 16 21

Re: Nikon TIDiaLamp Error

julou
Hello,

I dear to ask again if a fix is available since I am planning to use this lamp controls to interface a Thorlabs led driver… I would really need to have it working in order to test whether it works.

Also, if someone looks at this code, how difficult would it be to declare the dia lamp as a shutter so that it could be selected as the dia shutter in the configuration?

I thank you in advance for your help. Best regards,

Thomas Julou
Thomas Julou  |  Computational & Systems Biology  |  Biozentrum – University of Basel  |  Klingelbergstrasse 50/70 CH-4056 Basel  |  +41 (0)61 267 16 21

Re: Nikon TIDiaLamp Error

Nico Stuurman-2
Hi Thomas,

> I dear to ask again if a fix is available since I am planning to use this lamp controls to interface a Thorlabs led driver… I would really need to have it working in order to test whether it works.

Why use the Nikon TI output to control your LED?  Do you have a pin layout and know what voltage and impedances to expect?

It seems much simpler to me to drive the LED with an Arduino.  If you really need intensity control on top of TTL switching, you can try the very latest Arduino board that has on board analog out (the real thing, i.e. not PWM).

> Also, if someone looks at this code, how difficult would it be to declare the dia lamp as a shutter so that it could be selected as the dia shutter in the configuration?

There is code for a DiaShutter device in the Nikon TI adapter.

B.t.w., in general it is a really bad idea to use a HalogenLamp on/off control as a shutter.  It takes many seconds for the lamp to switch on and off.  Also, after switching it on it takes a really long time for the lamp to become stable, i.e. even when you take an image 5 seconds or so after switching it on, you will experience varying intensities.

Re: Nikon TIDiaLamp Error

julou
Hi Nico,

Thank you very much for your answer.
Currently, my main problem is that I cannot control the lamp intensity when switching from phase contrast to brightfeld. I tried to add the lamp device in MM either when it's in manual or computer control mode and always end up with the Error code -2147417842 (8001010e hex). This is true both with 1.4.13 and with today nightly build.

Am I the only one experiencing the problem? If it's a configuration problem, which step is likely to be problematic?

Nico Stuurman-2 wrote
Why use the Nikon TI output to control your LED?  Do you have a pin layout and know what voltage and impedances to expect?

It seems much simpler to me to drive the LED with an Arduino.  If you really need intensity control on top of TTL switching, you can try the very latest Arduino board that has on board analog out (the real thing, i.e. not PWM).
Nikon documentation mentions the pinout…
The idea behind it was that we could keep the on/off switch and intensity knob. Plus the control are already implemented to switch from manual to computer control and for the intensity. The only missing thing is to be allowed to use it as a shutter (on the software side). Hence my question about adding this feature to the lamp device adapter (while fixing it ;)
Otherwise, a simple workaround would be to combine the lamp port out with the shutter port out on the arduino.

The drawback of using the arduino device adapter is that I will not be able to keep the manual intensity control (in manual control mode). But maybe it would be possible to read the value in MM and use it to set the lamp intensity?
What you mention about the last arduino sounds very interesting. Which board is that (I've not been following the recent improvements…)?

Nico Stuurman-2 wrote
There is code for a DiaShutter device in the Nikon TI adapter.

B.t.w., in general it is a really bad idea to use a HalogenLamp on/off control as a shutter.  It takes many seconds for the lamp to switch on and off.  Also, after switching it on it takes a really long time for the lamp to become stable, i.e. even when you take an image 5 seconds or so after switching it on, you will experience varying intensities.
I understand the second point: I would not use the halogen lamp as a shutter, this would only make sense once replaced by a LED.

Regarding the DiaShutter, it works for the shutter port, not for the lamp port. I hope I made clear above that I would like to use the lamp (led) as the shutter. Does that make sense?

Thank you in advance for your help. Best,

Thomas
Thomas Julou  |  Computational & Systems Biology  |  Biozentrum – University of Basel  |  Klingelbergstrasse 50/70 CH-4056 Basel  |  +41 (0)61 267 16 21

Re: Nikon TIDiaLamp Error

Allen Liu-2
I have seen this error before on our system when I set it up about a year
ago. It never got it to work, so I just gave up on this.

Allen

On 2/15/13 2:16 PM, "julou" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> switching it on, you will experience varying intensities.
>
>I understand the second point: I would not use the halogen lamp as a
>shutter, this would only make sense once replaced by a LED.
>
>Regarding the DiaShutter, it works for the shutter port, not for the lamp
>port. I hope I made clear above that I would like to use the lamp (led) as
>the shutter. Does that make sense?
>
>Thank you in advance for your help. Best,
>
>Thomas
>

>--
>Geeknet,
>is your hub for all things parallel software development, from weekly
>thought
>leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials, tech docs,
>whitepapers, evaluation guides, and opinion stories. Check out the most
>recent posts - join the conversation now.

Re: Nikon TIDiaLamp Error

Nico Stuurman-2
Hi Allen and Thomas,

> I have seen this error before on our system when I set it up about a year ago. It never got it to work, so I just gave up on this.

I got the same error with the microscope emulator provided in the TI SDK and fixed it (actually, ignored it).  MM now operates well with the DiaLamp (which does appear as a shutter device) in the emulator.  Regretfully, I have no TI at home (and we do not have any Dia Lamps attached at work), so I can not test myself.  Please use tonight's (or later) build and let me know whether or not you still experience problems with the DiaLamp device.

Re: Nikon TIDiaLamp Error

julou
Hi Nico,

Thank you very much for looking at the problem.
I just tried to check with real hardware but... there are no windows nightly builts after 20130215!

As soon as this is fixed, I'll be able to tell you how it works. Thx.

Thomas
Thomas Julou  |  Computational & Systems Biology  |  Biozentrum – University of Basel  |  Klingelbergstrasse 50/70 CH-4056 Basel  |  +41 (0)61 267 16 21

Re: Nikon TIDiaLamp Error

Nico Stuurman-2
Hi Thomas,

> Thank you very much for looking at the problem.
> I just tried to check with real hardware but... there are no windows nightly builts after 20130215!

Looks like the build machine is fixed again. There is now a 64-bit build up and the 32-bit windows build will likely follow soon.

Re: Nikon TIDiaLamp Error

julou
Just tried it: it works :)
And the shutter feature is already implemented as you mentioned.

One last thing, the ComputerControl property mentioned on the device description page does not appear  anymore; it would be very nice to have it back…

Thank you again for your help. Best,

Thomas
Thomas Julou  |  Computational & Systems Biology  |  Biozentrum – University of Basel  |  Klingelbergstrasse 50/70 CH-4056 Basel  |  +41 (0)61 267 16 21

Re: Nikon TIDiaLamp Error

Nico Stuurman-2
Hi Thomas,

> Just tried it: it works :)

Cool!

> And the shutter feature is already implemented as you mentioned.
>
> One last thing, the ComputerControl property mentioned on the device description page does not appear  anymore; it would be very nice to have it back…

I am reluctant to add it back since that code has the following comment:

// Computer Control -- This property is very buggy, so don't use!

Re: Nikon TIDiaLamp Error

julou
Hi Nico,
> One last thing, the ComputerControl property mentioned on the device description page does not appear  anymore; it would be very nice to have it back…

I am reluctant to add it back since that code has the following comment:

// Computer Control -- This property is very buggy, so don't use!
Fair enough!
Any option to make it less buggy? at least the API should be stable since this feature is stable in Nikon Ti software…

Let me know if I can help in improving / testing anything.

Best, Thomas
Thomas Julou  |  Computational & Systems Biology  |  Biozentrum – University of Basel  |  Klingelbergstrasse 50/70 CH-4056 Basel  |  +41 (0)61 267 16 21

Re: Nikon TIDiaLamp Error

Nick Bolten
Thanks for the help, Nico! I'm glad this bug is getting fixed, since
it's a show-stopper for us.

I'm having some trouble using it via the GUI (haven't tried using it via
MATLAB yet), though. I can get through the hardware configuration wizard
just fine, now, but when I got to activate lamp control (switching 0 to
1) in the list of Devices, it crashes Micromanager and ImageJ.

What kind of logs and information should I be collecting to make
troubleshooting this possible?

Thanks,

-Nick

On 02/18/2013 08:46 PM, Nico Stuurman wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>

>> Thank you very much for looking at the problem.
>> I just tried to check with real hardware but... there are no windows nightly builts after 20130215!
> Looks like the build machine is fixed again. There is now a 64-bit build up and the 32-bit windows build will likely follow soon.
>
> Best,
>
> Nico

Re: Nikon TIDiaLamp Error

Nick Bolten
I'm attaching the logs I found in C:\Program Files\Micro-Manager-1.4 in
case they're useful.

-Nick

On 03/07/2013 12:30 PM, Nick Bolten wrote:

> Thanks for the help, Nico! I'm glad this bug is getting fixed, since
> it's a show-stopper for us.
>
> I'm having some trouble using it via the GUI (haven't tried using it
> via MATLAB yet), though. I can get through the hardware configuration
> wizard just fine, now, but when I got to activate lamp control
> (switching 0 to 1) in the list of Devices, it crashes Micromanager and
> ImageJ.
>
> What kind of logs and information should I be collecting to make
> troubleshooting this possible?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Nick
>
> On 02/18/2013 08:46 PM, Nico Stuurman wrote:
>> Hi Thomas,
>>

>>> Thank you very much for looking at the problem.
>>> I just tried to check with real hardware but... there are no windows
>>> nightly builts after 20130215!
>> Looks like the build machine is fixed again. There is now a 64-bit
>> build up and the 32-bit windows build will likely follow soon.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Nico

CoreLog20130307.txt (58K) Download Attachment
hs_err_pid3624.log (24K) Download Attachment

Re: Nikon TIDiaLamp Error

Hi Nick,

> Thanks for the help, Nico! I'm glad this bug is getting fixed, since it's a show-stopper for us.
>
> I'm having some trouble using it via the GUI (haven't tried using it via  MATLAB yet), though. I can get through the hardware configuration wizard  just fine, now, but when I got to activate lamp control (switching 0 to  1) in the list of Devices, it crashes Micromanager and ImageJ.

Yikes.  I'll see if I can reproduce this on our 64-bit Windows system with real hardware attached (let me know if you are using 32-bits).

> What kind of logs and information should I be collecting to make
> troubleshooting this possible?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Nick
>
> On 02/18/2013 08:46 PM, Nico Stuurman wrote:
>> Hi Thomas,
>>

>>> Thank you very much for looking at the problem.
>>> I just tried to check with real hardware but... there are no windows nightly builts after 20130215!
>> Looks like the build machine is fixed again. There is now a 64-bit build up and the 32-bit windows build will likely follow soon.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Nico

Nico Stuurman

Vale Lab, UCSF MC2200
HHMI / Dept. of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology
University of California, San Francisco
Genentech Hall, Room N316
600 16th street
San Francisco, CA 94158-2517

email: [hidden email]
phone: (415) 514-3927
fax: (415) 476-5233

Re: Nikon TIDiaLamp Error

Nick Bolten
Hi Nico,

We're running Micro-Manager on Windows 7, 64-bit. I tried a few
nightlies since 2013-02-28, the latest being 03-06, all with the same
result.

-Nick

On 03/07/2013 05:08 PM, Nico Stuurman wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
>> Thanks for the help, Nico! I'm glad this bug is getting fixed, since it's a show-stopper for us.
>>
>> I'm having some trouble using it via the GUI (haven't tried using it via  MATLAB yet), though. I can get through the hardware configuration wizard  just fine, now, but when I got to activate lamp control (switching 0 to  1) in the list of Devices, it crashes Micromanager and ImageJ.
> Yikes.  I'll see if I can reproduce this on our 64-bit Windows system with real hardware attached (let me know if you are using 32-bits).
>
> Best,
>
> Nico
>

>> What kind of logs and information should I be collecting to make
>> troubleshooting this possible?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Nick
>>
>> On 02/18/2013 08:46 PM, Nico Stuurman wrote:
>>> Hi Thomas,

>>> Looks like the build machine is fixed again. There is now a 64-bit build up and the 32-bit windows build will likely follow soon.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Nico

> Nico Stuurman
>
> Vale Lab, UCSF MC2200
> HHMI / Dept. of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology
> University of California, San Francisco
> Genentech Hall, Room N316
> 600 16th street
> San Francisco, CA 94158-2517