Nikon Ti DIC analyser

12

Nikon Ti DIC analyser

Julien Husson-3
Dear µmanager team,

I just got DIC installed on my Nikon TI but I just realized that the motorized
DIC analyzer does seem to be supported (by checking on the website): I cannot
event open it and had to send it back to get it open on another setup...

Do you know is this could be implemented? I saw that there was a TE2000
analyser driver, but does not seem to work with TI.

I would be very very - even more - grateful if I could get some help here.

Julien Husson, postdoc
Macromolécules et Microsystèmes en Biologie et en Médecine
Laboratoire Physico Chimie Curie - UMR 168
Institut Curie
11 rue P. et M. Curie, 75231 PARIS Cedex 05, FRANCE
Tel : (33) (0) 1 56 24 67 75
Fax : (33) (0) 1 40 51 06 36
http://www.curie.fr/equipe/69/lang/_gb

Re: Nikon Ti DIC analyser

Nico Stuurman
Administrator
Hi Julien,

> I just got DIC installed on my Nikon TI but I just realized that the
> motorized
> DIC analyzer does seem to be supported (by checking on the website):
> I cannot
> event open it and had to send it back to get it open on another
> setup...

We had not seen an analyzer in the wild before.  It will probably not
too hard to implement.  We'll put this on our todo list.

Re: Nikon Ti DIC analyser

Julien Husson-3
Hi Nico,
thanks a lot.
Best,
Julien

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 09:21:30 -0800, Nico Stuurman wrote

> Hi Julien,
>
> > I just got DIC installed on my Nikon TI but I just realized that the
> > motorized
> > DIC analyzer does seem to be supported (by checking on the website):
> > I cannot
> > event open it and had to send it back to get it open on another
> > setup...
>
> We had not seen an analyzer in the wild before.  It will probably
> not  too hard to implement.  We'll put this on our todo list.
>
> Best,
>
> Nico

Julien Husson, postdoc
Macromolécules et Microsystèmes en Biologie et en Médecine
Laboratoire Physico Chimie Curie - UMR 168
Institut Curie
11 rue P. et M. Curie, 75231 PARIS Cedex 05, FRANCE
Tel : (33) (0) 1 56 24 67 75
Fax : (33) (0) 1 40 51 06 36
http://www.curie.fr/equipe/69/lang/_gb

Re: Nikon Ti DIC analyser

Kurt Thorn
As far as I know, there is no dedicated motorized DIC slider on the Ti - it's just implemented by defining one filter cube position as the analyzer and then putting that filter cube in place.

Kurt

Re: Nikon Ti DIC analyser

Nico Stuurman-4

> As far as I know, there is no dedicated motorized DIC slider on the
> Ti - it's just implemented by defining one filter cube position as
> the analyzer and then putting that filter cube in place.

I was under that impression too, however, there is an "Analyzer"
object in the SDK that can be "inserted" and "extracted", and Julien
seems to be in the possession of such an Analyzer.  Julien, could you
explain to us what exactly your Analyzer is and where in the TI it sits?

Re: Nikon Ti DIC analyser

Julien Husson-3
Hi Kurt and Nico,
thanks a lot for answering.

The analyser can be retracted/inserted automatically from light path, it is
indeed a 2-state device. It sits below fluorescence cubes wheel, before
deflection towards camera/eyepiece distribution. I was planning to use it by
implementing DIC instead of phase contrast in my ratio script, and retract it
at each fluorescence snapshot (to minimize intensity loss due to analyser).

The analyse is apparently simply connected to a UNIT# (#=1 to 8 or so
available) plug on the TI hub, so you may be right Kurt, maybe I just have to
define it as an objective, provided motorized objectives are connected to
these UNIT# plugs, and that µmanager does handle them.

Best,
Julien

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 11:13:23 -0800, Nico Stuurman wrote

> > As far as I know, there is no dedicated motorized DIC slider on the
> > Ti - it's just implemented by defining one filter cube position as
> > the analyzer and then putting that filter cube in place.
>
> I was under that impression too, however, there is an "Analyzer"
> object in the SDK that can be "inserted" and "extracted", and Julien
>  seems to be in the possession of such an Analyzer.  Julien, could
> you  explain to us what exactly your Analyzer is and where in the TI
> it sits?
>
> Best,
>
> Nico

Julien Husson, postdoc
Macromolécules et Microsystèmes en Biologie et en Médecine
Laboratoire Physico Chimie Curie - UMR 168
Institut Curie
11 rue P. et M. Curie, 75231 PARIS Cedex 05, FRANCE
Tel : (33) (0) 1 56 24 67 75
Fax : (33) (0) 1 40 51 06 36
http://www.curie.fr/equipe/69/lang/_gb

Re: Nikon Ti DIC analyser

Kurt Thorn
Hi Julien -

Where did you get this analyzer?  I asked for a similar slider for our
Ti (that sits underneath the objectives, like the one we had on our
TE2000) and was told that there was no equivalent analyzer slider for
the Ti - that you had to put the analyzer in a filter cube position.
Perhaps this is only available in Europe?

Kurt

Julien Husson wrote:

> Hi Kurt and Nico,
> thanks a lot for answering.
>
> The analyser can be retracted/inserted automatically from light path, it is
> indeed a 2-state device. It sits below fluorescence cubes wheel, before
> deflection towards camera/eyepiece distribution. I was planning to use it by
> implementing DIC instead of phase contrast in my ratio script, and retract it
> at each fluorescence snapshot (to minimize intensity loss due to analyser).
>
> The analyse is apparently simply connected to a UNIT# (#=1 to 8 or so
> available) plug on the TI hub, so you may be right Kurt, maybe I just have to
> define it as an objective, provided motorized objectives are connected to
> these UNIT# plugs, and that µmanager does handle them.
>
> Best,
> Julien
>

> On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 11:13:23 -0800, Nico Stuurman wrote
>
>>> As far as I know, there is no dedicated motorized DIC slider on the
>>> Ti - it's just implemented by defining one filter cube position as
>>> the analyzer and then putting that filter cube in place.
>>>
>> I was under that impression too, however, there is an "Analyzer"
>> object in the SDK that can be "inserted" and "extracted", and Julien
>>  seems to be in the possession of such an Analyzer.  Julien, could
>> you  explain to us what exactly your Analyzer is and where in the TI
>> it sits?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Nico

> Julien Husson, postdoc
> Macromolécules et Microsystèmes en Biologie et en Médecine
> Laboratoire Physico Chimie Curie - UMR 168
> Institut Curie
> 11 rue P. et M. Curie, 75231 PARIS Cedex 05, FRANCE
> Tel : (33) (0) 1 56 24 67 75
> Fax : (33) (0) 1 40 51 06 36
> http://www.curie.fr/equipe/69/lang/_gb

Re: Nikon Ti DIC analyser

Julien Husson-3
Hi Kurt,
well now you make me doubt, because as my contact from Nikon was installing
it, we both noticed that there had been a name change on the analyser box,
with an older label hidden and reading TE2000. So either I'm having a Europe
exculive model (really really possible? doubt it) or it's simply a big bug and
I was messing with a TE2000 device.

So this means I won't be able to automate analyser retraction in a timelapse?
Sigh, this would have been so beautiful combine with my brand new Pinkel...

Obviously first thing from my side is a get a feedback from my Nikon contact.

Mea culpa if this is only a big mystake, I get the info asap tomorrow.

Best,
Julien

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 13:02:44 -0800, Kurt Thorn wrote

> Hi Julien -
>
> Where did you get this analyzer?  I asked for a similar slider for
> our Ti (that sits underneath the objectives, like the one we had on
> our TE2000) and was told that there was no equivalent analyzer
> slider for the Ti - that you had to put the analyzer in a filter
> cube position.  Perhaps this is only available in Europe?
>
> Kurt
>
> Julien Husson wrote:
> > Hi Kurt and Nico,
> > thanks a lot for answering.
> >
> > The analyser can be retracted/inserted automatically from light path, it is
> > indeed a 2-state device. It sits below fluorescence cubes wheel, before
> > deflection towards camera/eyepiece distribution. I was planning to use it by
> > implementing DIC instead of phase contrast in my ratio script, and retract it
> > at each fluorescence snapshot (to minimize intensity loss due to analyser).
> >
> > The analyse is apparently simply connected to a UNIT# (#=1 to 8 or so
> > available) plug on the TI hub, so you may be right Kurt, maybe I just have to
> > define it as an objective, provided motorized objectives are connected to
> > these UNIT# plugs, and that µmanager does handle them.
> >
> > Best,
> > Julien
> >

> > On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 11:13:23 -0800, Nico Stuurman wrote

> >> I was under that impression too, however, there is an "Analyzer"
> >> object in the SDK that can be "inserted" and "extracted", and Julien
> >>  seems to be in the possession of such an Analyzer.  Julien, could
> >> you  explain to us what exactly your Analyzer is and where in the TI
> >> it sits?
> >>
> >> Best,
> >>
> >> Nico

> > --
> > Julien Husson, postdoc
> > Macromolécules et Microsystèmes en Biologie et en Médecine
> > Laboratoire Physico Chimie Curie - UMR 168
> > Institut Curie
> > 11 rue P. et M. Curie, 75231 PARIS Cedex 05, FRANCE
> > Tel : (33) (0) 1 56 24 67 75
> > Fax : (33) (0) 1 40 51 06 36
> > http://www.curie.fr/equipe/69/lang/_gb

Julien Husson, postdoc
Macromolécules et Microsystèmes en Biologie et en Médecine
Laboratoire Physico Chimie Curie - UMR 168
Institut Curie
11 rue P. et M. Curie, 75231 PARIS Cedex 05, FRANCE
Tel : (33) (0) 1 56 24 67 75
Fax : (33) (0) 1 40 51 06 36
http://www.curie.fr/equipe/69/lang/_gb

Re: Nikon Ti DIC analyser

Kurt Thorn
I bet you have a TE2000 device, because the first thing we did on our
new Ti was to plug in a TE2000 analyzer slider - it plugs in but it
doesn't work with the Ti.  You should be able to check in Titools or on
the remote pad to see if it's recognized in the devices  - our TE2000
analyzer was not recognized. I've told Nikon that they should produce a
slider for the Ti but I doubt they will.

I hope your slider does work - it would be great if such a thing existed
- but sadly, I have my doubts.

Kurt

Julien Husson wrote:

> Hi Kurt,
> well now you make me doubt, because as my contact from Nikon was installing
> it, we both noticed that there had been a name change on the analyser box,
> with an older label hidden and reading TE2000. So either I'm having a Europe
> exculive model (really really possible? doubt it) or it's simply a big bug and
> I was messing with a TE2000 device.
>
> So this means I won't be able to automate analyser retraction in a timelapse?
> Sigh, this would have been so beautiful combine with my brand new Pinkel...
>
> Obviously first thing from my side is a get a feedback from my Nikon contact.
>
> Mea culpa if this is only a big mystake, I get the info asap tomorrow.
>
> Best,
> Julien
>
> On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 13:02:44 -0800, Kurt Thorn wrote
>
>> Hi Julien -
>>
>> Where did you get this analyzer?  I asked for a similar slider for
>> our Ti (that sits underneath the objectives, like the one we had on
>> our TE2000) and was told that there was no equivalent analyzer
>> slider for the Ti - that you had to put the analyzer in a filter
>> cube position.  Perhaps this is only available in Europe?
>>
>> Kurt
>>
>> Julien Husson wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Kurt and Nico,
>>> thanks a lot for answering.
>>>
>>> The analyser can be retracted/inserted automatically from light path, it is
>>> indeed a 2-state device. It sits below fluorescence cubes wheel, before
>>> deflection towards camera/eyepiece distribution. I was planning to use it by
>>> implementing DIC instead of phase contrast in my ratio script, and retract it
>>> at each fluorescence snapshot (to minimize intensity loss due to analyser).
>>>
>>> The analyse is apparently simply connected to a UNIT# (#=1 to 8 or so
>>> available) plug on the TI hub, so you may be right Kurt, maybe I just have to
>>> define it as an objective, provided motorized objectives are connected to
>>> these UNIT# plugs, and that µmanager does handle them.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Julien
>>>

>>> On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 11:13:23 -0800, Nico Stuurman wrote

>>> --
>>> Julien Husson, postdoc
>>> Macromolécules et Microsystèmes en Biologie et en Médecine
>>> Laboratoire Physico Chimie Curie - UMR 168
>>> Institut Curie
>>> 11 rue P. et M. Curie, 75231 PARIS Cedex 05, FRANCE
>>> Tel : (33) (0) 1 56 24 67 75
>>> Fax : (33) (0) 1 40 51 06 36
>>> http://www.curie.fr/equipe/69/lang/_gb

> Julien Husson, postdoc
> Macromolécules et Microsystèmes en Biologie et en Médecine
> Laboratoire Physico Chimie Curie - UMR 168
> Institut Curie
> 11 rue P. et M. Curie, 75231 PARIS Cedex 05, FRANCE
> Tel : (33) (0) 1 56 24 67 75
> Fax : (33) (0) 1 40 51 06 36
> http://www.curie.fr/equipe/69/lang/_gb

Re: Nikon Ti DIC analyser

Julien Husson-3
Hi,

so having talked to Nikon, it is confirmed this analyser was a TE2000 device,
that Nikon just changed ref names, and that this device "should" be TI
compatible. Now the guy I was talking to don't know if the driver can be
easily adapted (he doesn't mess with software). For now I'll have a device
blocked in "inserted" position, so no automatic timelapse.

So I'm terribly interested by any help on such a driver for µmanager.

Best,
Julien

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 14:13:19 -0800, Kurt Thorn wrote

> [...]

Laboratoire Physico Chimie Curie - UMR 168
Institut Curie
11 rue P. et M. Curie, 75231 PARIS Cedex 05, FRANCE
Tel : (33) (0) 1 56 24 67 75
Fax : (33) (0) 1 40 51 06 36
http://www.curie.fr/equipe/69/lang/_gb

Re: Nikon Ti DIC analyser

Nico Stuurman-4
Hi Julien,

> so having talked to Nikon, it is confirmed this analyser was a
> TE2000 device,
> that Nikon just changed ref names, and that this device "should" be TI
> compatible. Now the guy I was talking to don't know if the driver
> can be
> easily adapted (he doesn't mess with software). For now I'll have a
> device
> blocked in "inserted" position, so no automatic timelapse.
>
> So I'm terribly interested by any help on such a driver for µmanager.

It remains interesting that the Nikon TI SDK has an "Analyzer"
object.  Karl implemented it in the Micro-Manager Nikon TI adapter.
Once our nightly builds are working again ( http://valelab.ucsf.edu/~MM/nightlyBuilds/
  ) you can try it out.

Re: Nikon Ti DIC analyser

Julien Husson-3
Hi Nico,

indeed there is hope. But unfortunately I never really put my hands in
adapters, so it will take me a lot of time just to learn basics. If somebody
with more experience could help me I would be more than happy.
Best,
Julien

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 08:06:49 -0800, Nico Stuurman wrote

> Hi Julien,
>
> > so having talked to Nikon, it is confirmed this analyser was a
> > TE2000 device,
> > that Nikon just changed ref names, and that this device "should" be TI
> > compatible. Now the guy I was talking to don't know if the driver
> > can be
> > easily adapted (he doesn't mess with software). For now I'll have a
> > device
> > blocked in "inserted" position, so no automatic timelapse.
> >
> > So I'm terribly interested by any help on such a driver for µmanager.
>
> It remains interesting that the Nikon TI SDK has an "Analyzer"
> object.  Karl implemented it in the Micro-Manager Nikon TI adapter.
>  Once our nightly builds are working again (
> http://valelab.ucsf.edu/~MM/nightlyBuilds/   ) you can try it out.
>
> Best,
>
> Nico

Julien Husson, postdoc
Macromolécules et Microsystèmes en Biologie et en Médecine
Laboratoire Physico Chimie Curie - UMR 168
Institut Curie
11 rue P. et M. Curie, 75231 PARIS Cedex 05, FRANCE
Tel : (33) (0) 1 56 24 67 75
Fax : (33) (0) 1 40 51 06 36
http://www.curie.fr/equipe/69/lang/_gb

Re: Nikon Ti DIC analyser

Nico Stuurman-4
> indeed there is hope. But unfortunately I never really put my hands in
> adapters, so it will take me a lot of time just to learn basics. If
> somebody
> with more experience could help me I would be more than happy.

Maybe you misunderstood.  No coding by you is required.  Karl already
added the Analyzer object as it exists in the Nikon TI SDK to Micro-
Manager.  You will only need to test the next nightly build.

Re: Nikon Ti DIC analyser

Julien Husson-3
Awesome! Looking forward,
Julien

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 08:51:56 -0800, Nico Stuurman wrote

> > indeed there is hope. But unfortunately I never really put my hands in
> > adapters, so it will take me a lot of time just to learn basics. If
> > somebody
> > with more experience could help me I would be more than happy.
>
> Maybe you misunderstood.  No coding by you is required.  Karl
> already  added the Analyzer object as it exists in the Nikon TI SDK
> to Micro- Manager.  You will only need to test the next nightly build.
>
> Best,
>
> Nico

Julien Husson, postdoc
Macromolécules et Microsystèmes en Biologie et en Médecine
Laboratoire Physico Chimie Curie - UMR 168
Institut Curie
11 rue P. et M. Curie, 75231 PARIS Cedex 05, FRANCE
Tel : (33) (0) 1 56 24 67 75
Fax : (33) (0) 1 40 51 06 36
http://www.curie.fr/equipe/69/lang/_gb

Intensilight Intensity Control

Alicia Piera
Hi everyone,
We have a NikonTi microscope with an Intensilight lamp, running with µmanager.
I know that it is possible to switch between six levels of light intensity using the Nikon
software but it is still not possible with µmanager, isn´t it?
Would it be possible to implement a device for to change the lamp intensity?
Thanks a lot,
Best
Alicia Piera

> indeed there is hope. But unfortunately I never really put my hands in
> adapters, so it will take me a lot of time just to learn basics. If
> somebody
> with more experience could help me I would be more than happy.

Maybe you misunderstood.  No coding by you is required.  Karl already
added the Analyzer object as it exists in the Nikon TI SDK to Micro-
Manager.  You will only need to test the next nightly build.

Re: Intensilight Intensity Control

Nico Stuurman-4
We have a NikonTi microscope with an Intensilight lamp, running with µmanager.
I know that it is possible to switch between six levels of light intensity using the Nikon
software but it is still not possible with µmanager, isn´t it?

Correct.  I had completely forgotten your earlier request.  This request is now added to our tracking system ( https://valelab.ucsf.edu/trac/micromanager/ticket/332 ) and we'll hopefully get to it soon.

Thanks Intensilight Intensity Control

Alicia Piera

Re: Nikon Ti DIC analyser

Julien Husson-3
sorry naive question but in principle should I be able to download and launch
the latest setup file from the latest nightly build as a usual µmanager setup
file? Because installing µM like this, I run it and only get the imageJ window.
Best,
Julien

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 18:02:43 +0100, Julien Husson wrote

> Awesome! Looking forward,
> Julien
>
> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 08:51:56 -0800, Nico Stuurman wrote
> > > indeed there is hope. But unfortunately I never really put my hands in
> > > adapters, so it will take me a lot of time just to learn basics. If
> > > somebody
> > > with more experience could help me I would be more than happy.
> >
> > Maybe you misunderstood.  No coding by you is required.  Karl
> > already  added the Analyzer object as it exists in the Nikon TI SDK
> > to Micro- Manager.  You will only need to test the next nightly build.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Nico

> Julien Husson, postdoc
> Macromolécules et Microsystèmes en Biologie et en Médecine
> Laboratoire Physico Chimie Curie - UMR 168
> Institut Curie
> 11 rue P. et M. Curie, 75231 PARIS Cedex 05, FRANCE
> Tel : (33) (0) 1 56 24 67 75
> Fax : (33) (0) 1 40 51 06 36
> http://www.curie.fr/equipe/69/lang/_gb

Julien Husson, postdoc
Macromolécules et Microsystèmes en Biologie et en Médecine
Laboratoire Physico Chimie Curie - UMR 168
Institut Curie
11 rue P. et M. Curie, 75231 PARIS Cedex 05, FRANCE
Tel : (33) (0) 1 56 24 67 75
Fax : (33) (0) 1 40 51 06 36
http://www.curie.fr/equipe/69/lang/_gb

Re: Nikon Ti DIC analyser

Nico Stuurman-4
HI Julien,

> sorry naive question but in principle should I be able to download
> and launch
> the latest setup file from the latest nightly build as a usual
> µmanager setup
> file? Because installing µM like this, I run it and only get the
> imageJ window.

In principal yes.  Since you do not get the Micro-Manager startup
screen, there clearly is a problem in that particular build.  Thanks
for letting us know!

Re: Nikon Ti DIC analyser

Julien Husson-3
Hi Nico,
there is then a problem in the last 2 builds (I tryed before bothering you).
Best,
Julien

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 05:49:56 -0800, Nico Stuurman wrote