Nikon shutters (NI-SH-CON)

PEARSON Matthew
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows if Nikon stand alone shutters and their controllers (NI-SH-CON) can be controlled with Micro-Manager?  The controller would normally connect to a serial port on the back of the Nikon Ti microscope and then presumably Micro-Manager would see it as being part of the Nikon Ti device.  However, i'm thinking to use the shutter not attached to a nikon microscope, plugging in straight into a serial port on the PC.  I wondered if the Nikon miscellaneous devices adapter might work, but says its only been tested for a z-drive, TIRF shutter and Intensilight shutter.

Thanks for the help,

Matt

--
Matt Pearson
Microscopy Facility

Re: Nikon shutters (NI-SH-CON)

PEARSON Matthew
I can confirm that the NI-SH-CON controller and shutters do not work via the Nikon miscellaneous devices adapter.  I had hoped it would be equivalent to the intensilight shutter if that were connected through the PC's serial port.  However, the NI-SH-CON controller does have a rather odd serial to two TTL BNC connectors so i'm sure there are some differences and perhaps a new adapter required.  As this if the first time anyone has mentioned this device i assume there isn't a demand for one to be written.

Thanks,

Matt

--
Matt Pearson
Advanced Imaging Resource (AIR)

On Nov 23, 2018, at 3:05 PM, PEARSON Matthew <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: Nikon shutters (NI-SH-CON)

Stuurman, Nico
Hi Matt,

On 1/17/2019 1:39 AM, PEARSON Matthew wrote:
> I can confirm that the NI-SH-CON controller and shutters do not work
> via the Nikon miscellaneous devices adapter.  I had hoped it would be
> equivalent to the intensilight shutter if that were connected through
> the PC's serial port.  However, the NI-SH-CON controller does have a
> rather odd serial to two TTL BNC connectors so i'm sure there are some
> differences and perhaps a new adapter required.  As this if the first
> time anyone has mentioned this device i assume there isn't a demand
> for one to be written.

Is it possible to use a TTL signal through the BNC connectors to control
the shutter?  If so, all you need is an Arduino or other computer
controllable TTL generator.

Re: Nikon shutters (NI-SH-CON)

PEARSON Matthew
Hi Nico,

Hmm i don't know but i will try to investigate and find out.

Thanks,

Matt

--

On Jan 17, 2019, at 4:49 PM, "Stuurman, Nico" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Just wanted to confirm that we are now controlling two of these shutters independently in Micro-Manager through an Arduino.  You were right that we could use TTL so connected a BNC to the NI-SH-CON controller and the other end to one of the output pins on the Arduino, repeated for the other shutter.  Wonder if its worth adding that this device can be controlled via an arduino to the Micro-Manager devices page.. Its probably quite niche though.

Thanks,

Matt