OBIS lasers Auto shutter opening inappropriately

OBIS lasers Auto shutter opening inappropriately

Sam Dundon
We are using micromanager to trigger two different Coherent OBIS lasers, a 488 and a 561. Each time we change the "core shutter" to trigger one of these lasers, it turns on the laser regardless of whether "live" is selected or not. This also occurs whether Auto Shutter is selected or not. This is an issue because our samples are getting exposed to laser light each time we change the channel even if we do not want to take an image yet. This also occurs during MDA when switching between channel presets that indicate different lasers should be used. If time-lapse images are taken, the lasers are left on during the entire interim between time points.

Currently, our workaround is to have a single DIC slice taken as the first image in each MDA because for some reason switching to another, non-OBIS shutter properly turns off both laser beams. When the MDA is finished, however, both lasers turn on. Has anyone else had a similar issue with these lasers? Or have any suggestions on how to fix this? We are using Micromanager 1.4.22 on a 32-bit Windows XP machine.