Older version of the getList(“image.titles”) function

Older version of the getList(“image.titles”) function

by98
Hello all,

I have written a macro in FIJI (ImageJ 1.52o), where I use the
getList(“image.titles”) function to check what images are currently open,
and make certain decisions based on that.

However, when I try to call it from my build of Micro-Manager (which runs
ImageJ 1.48v, an older version), I get an error saying “Unvalid key in line
___”, pointing to the getList(“image.titles”) function. The error is due to
this function not existing in the older version of ImageJ, but I have 2
questions about solving this issue:

1) Is there a function similar to getList(“image.titles”) that can be used
in this older version of ImageJ (1.48v)? At the very least, I would need a
function compatible with ImageJ 1.48v to help check if an image with a
particular title exists. (This is confusing because I’m not sure where I can
look to figure out what functions are accepted by previous versions of
ImageJ)

2) Is it possible to update my ImageJ without updating Micro-Manager? The
build of Micro-Manager I’m using (version 1.4.23, Nightly build: 20171109)
is the only version compatible with my camera adapter, so upgrading to a
newer build of Micro-Manager is not possible.

Any help on this would be appreciated, thanks!

Re: Older version of the getList(“image.titles”) function

Stuurman, Nico
On 5/23/2019 5:09 PM, by98 wrote:
> 2) Is it possible to update my ImageJ without updating Micro-Manager? The
> build of Micro-Manager I’m using (version 1.4.23, Nightly build: 20171109)
> is the only version compatible with my camera adapter, so upgrading to a
> newer build of Micro-Manager is not possible.

Which camera?  It would be good to ask the vendor to make add the source
code to their adapter to the MM repository, so that it can also be used
with newer versions of MM.  2.0-gamma uses a much newer version of IJ
(1.51s I think).  In general, I expect few downsides of using a newer ij
version.  Easy to test, just keep a copy of the old before copying in
the new one.

Re: Older version of the getList(“image.titles”) function

by98
Hi Nico,

It's a Lumenera INFINITY camera, which according to this page needs the
20170911 nightly build of Micro-Manager.

https://www.lumenera.com/support/microscopy/drivers-downloads/micro-manager-plug-in.html

Cheers,
Bhaskar

Re: Older version of the getList(“image.titles”) function

JonD
Administrator
by98 wrote
> It's a Lumenera INFINITY camera, which according to this page needs the
> 20170911 nightly build of Micro-Manager.
>
> https://www.lumenera.com/support/microscopy/drivers-downloads/micro-manager-plug-in.html

Ideally the manufacturer would add the source code to the main repository so
their camera would be automatically usable by everyone going forward.  My
guess is that they didn't want to release their source code for some reason,
and that is why they are distributing only the device adapter DLL (BTW even
though their website says "plug-in" what they have is a device adapter in
Micro-Manager parlance, not a plugin).

I suggest contacting the manufacturer and asking if they can build their
code against a recent version of the MMCore codebase to provide an updated
DLL file.  Incidentally such a DLL should work with both recent 1.4.x as
well as with 2.0.x because the MMCore is shared by both.

Jon

Re: Older version of the getList(“image.titles”) function

by98
Hi Nico and Jon,

Thanks for the help, I was able to resolve the issue by upgrading my ij.jar
file
(https://forum.image.sc/t/older-version-of-the-getlist-image-titles-function/25988).

I guess contacting Lumenera is a good idea, and would probably be a
longer-term solution.

Cheers,
Bhaskar