Option "TL-BF" for a Leica DMI6000

Fabien Chiappini

Hi,

I control Leica DMI6000 with Micro Manager. I would try to configurate a phase illumination.

The option “TL-BF” in Scope-Method doesn’t appear (I have only the choices between “FLUO”, “TL-DIC”, “TL-POL”, “FLUO-DIC”).

It is certainly an option which was forgotten…

If someone could help me …

Have a nice day

Fabien CHIAPPINI

Plate forme Imagerie cellulaire (IFR 83)
Université Pierre et Marie Curie
7 Quai Saint Bernard
7 e étage Batiment B
PARIS Cedex 05

01 44 27 20 13

Re: Option "TL-BF" for a Leica DMI6000

Nico Stuurman-4
Hi Fabien,

I control Leica DMI6000 with Micro Manager. I would try to configurate a phase illumination.
The option “TL-BF” in Scope-Method doesn’t appear (I have only the choices between “FLUO”, “TL-DIC”, “TL-POL”, “FLUO-DIC”).
It is certainly an option which was forgotten…

These methods are actually obtained from your microscope stand directly.  So, either there is a bug in that code or your stand says it does not do phase (which may, or may not be a stand configuration problem).  Could you email me (off-list) your configuration file and Corelog.txt?  To obtain Corelog.txt, please first go to "Tools"->"Options", click "Clear log file", and check "Debug log enabled", then restart Micro-Manager.  Directly after starting up, find the file Corelog.txt in the Micro-Manager directory and email it to me.

Would you also be willing to help me with some testing?  The DM6000 is similar to the DMI6000, but has a few differences that I try to address.  I can not test the code since I do not have a DMI stand here.  So, I would be grateful if you could help me to make sure that I do not break something accidentally.

Re: Option "TL-BF" for a Leica DMI6000

Johan Henriksson-3
Nico Stuurman wrote:

> Hi Fabien,
>
>> I control Leica DMI6000 with Micro Manager. I would try to
>> configurate a phase illumination.
>> The option “TL-BF” in Scope-Method doesn’t appear (I have only the
>> choices between “FLUO”, “TL-DIC”, “TL-POL”, “FLUO-DIC”).
>> It is certainly an option which was forgotten…
>
> These methods are actually obtained from your microscope stand
> directly.  So, either there is a bug in that code or your stand says
> it does not do phase (which may, or may not be a stand configuration
> problem).  Could you email me (off-list) your configuration file and
> Corelog.txt?  To obtain Corelog.txt, please first go to
> "Tools"->"Options", click "Clear log file", and check "Debug log
> enabled", then restart Micro-Manager.  Directly after starting up,
> find the file Corelog.txt in the Micro-Manager directory and email it
> to me.
>
> Would you also be willing to help me with some testing?  The DM6000 is
> similar to the DMI6000, but has a few differences that I try to
> address.  I can not test the code since I do not have a DMI stand
> here.  So, I would be grateful if you could help me to make sure that
> I do not break something accidentally.
since I work on extending hardware metadata information, this practical
case is very interesting. how does this information get into the system?
is the adapter aiding or does it come straight from the hardware?

/Johan

> Best,
>
> Nico

Re: Option "TL-BF" for a Leica DMI6000

Nico Stuurman
Administrator
Hi Johan,

>>> I control Leica DMI6000 with Micro Manager. I would try to
>>> configurate a phase illumination.
>>> The option “TL-BF” in Scope-Method doesn’t appear (I have only the
>>> choices between “FLUO”, “TL-DIC”, “TL-POL”, “FLUO-DIC”).
>>> It is certainly an option which was forgotten…
>>
>> These methods are actually obtained from your microscope stand
>> directly.

> since I work on extending hardware metadata information, this
> practical
> case is very interesting. how does this information get into the
> system?
> is the adapter aiding or does it come straight from the hardware?

This information is stored in the firmware of the microscope stand (or
control box or whatever).  The Micro-Manager adapter merely reads it
out to make it available to the application. It is written to the
stand either at the factory or at the user's facility (in this case
with simple serial commands).  This is a quite common scenario.