PCO Camera ROI Question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

PCO Camera ROI Question

Gregory McKay
Hello,

I am using a PCO.edge sCMOS linked to Micromanager 1.4.16 on Windows 7 x64, and I'm having difficulty using the Region of Interest (ROI) command. Micromanager's ROI command has no effect on the Live/Snap camera window. The only way I can change the ROI is by opening PCO's Camware, selecting a ROI in this program, closing it, and re-opening Micromanager. Sure enough this does alter the ROI in Micromanager, but it is significantly different from the ROI selected in PCO Camware. The ROI aspect ratio and center are not the same in Micromanager as they were set to in PCO's Camware.

Any ideas/information on how to properly control ROI settings with Micromanager and PCO.edge sCMOS would be fantastic.

Thank you,

-Greg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BPM Camp - Free Virtual Workshop May 6th at 10am PDT/1PM EDT
Develop your own process in accordance with the BPMN 2 standard
Learn Process modeling best practices with Bonita BPM through live exercises
http://www.bonitasoft.com/be-part-of-it/events/bpm-camp-virtual- event?utm_
source=Sourceforge_BPM_Camp_5_6_15&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=VA_SF
_______________________________________________
micro-manager-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/micro-manager-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PCO Camera ROI Question

Chris Weisiger
Hi Greg,

Just so you know, there's no need to email both the general mailing list and the developers' info@ list; we read both of them. :)

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Gregory McKay <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I am using a PCO.edge sCMOS linked to Micromanager 1.4.16 on Windows 7 x64, and I'm having difficulty using the Region of Interest (ROI) command. Micromanager's ROI command has no effect on the Live/Snap camera window. The only way I can change the ROI is by opening PCO's Camware, selecting a ROI in this program, closing it, and re-opening Micromanager. Sure enough this does alter the ROI in Micromanager, but it is significantly different from the ROI selected in PCO Camware. The ROI aspect ratio and center are not the same in Micromanager as they were set to in PCO's Camware.

Any ideas/information on how to properly control ROI settings with Micromanager and PCO.edge sCMOS would be fantastic.

My first advice would be to upgrade to the most recent version of Micro-Manager; 1.4.16 is pretty old now and it's entirely possible that the problem you're experiencing has been fixed. You can download the current releases here:

https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Download_Micro-Manager_Latest_Release

You can also download the latest nightly builds here:

https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Micro-Manager_Nightly_Builds

If neither of those works, then please send us a Problem Report in which you attempt to adjust the ROI of the camera. You can run a Problem Report by going to the Help menu and selecting "Report problem...".

I hope this helps.

-Chris


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BPM Camp - Free Virtual Workshop May 6th at 10am PDT/1PM EDT
Develop your own process in accordance with the BPMN 2 standard
Learn Process modeling best practices with Bonita BPM through live exercises
http://www.bonitasoft.com/be-part-of-it/events/bpm-camp-virtual- event?utm_
source=Sourceforge_BPM_Camp_5_6_15&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=VA_SF
_______________________________________________
micro-manager-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/micro-manager-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PCO Camera ROI Question

Greg McKay
Thanks, Chris! I will give this a try.

-Greg

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Chris Weisiger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Greg,

Just so you know, there's no need to email both the general mailing list and the developers' info@ list; we read both of them. :)

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Gregory McKay <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I am using a PCO.edge sCMOS linked to Micromanager 1.4.16 on Windows 7 x64, and I'm having difficulty using the Region of Interest (ROI) command. Micromanager's ROI command has no effect on the Live/Snap camera window. The only way I can change the ROI is by opening PCO's Camware, selecting a ROI in this program, closing it, and re-opening Micromanager. Sure enough this does alter the ROI in Micromanager, but it is significantly different from the ROI selected in PCO Camware. The ROI aspect ratio and center are not the same in Micromanager as they were set to in PCO's Camware.

Any ideas/information on how to properly control ROI settings with Micromanager and PCO.edge sCMOS would be fantastic.

My first advice would be to upgrade to the most recent version of Micro-Manager; 1.4.16 is pretty old now and it's entirely possible that the problem you're experiencing has been fixed. You can download the current releases here:

https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Download_Micro-Manager_Latest_Release

You can also download the latest nightly builds here:

https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Micro-Manager_Nightly_Builds

If neither of those works, then please send us a Problem Report in which you attempt to adjust the ROI of the camera. You can run a Problem Report by going to the Help menu and selecting "Report problem...".

I hope this helps.

-Chris


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BPM Camp - Free Virtual Workshop May 6th at 10am PDT/1PM EDT
Develop your own process in accordance with the BPMN 2 standard
Learn Process modeling best practices with Bonita BPM through live exercises
http://www.bonitasoft.com/be-part-of-it/events/bpm-camp-virtual- event?utm_
source=Sourceforge_BPM_Camp_5_6_15&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=VA_SF
_______________________________________________
micro-manager-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/micro-manager-general



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BPM Camp - Free Virtual Workshop May 6th at 10am PDT/1PM EDT
Develop your own process in accordance with the BPMN 2 standard
Learn Process modeling best practices with Bonita BPM through live exercises
http://www.bonitasoft.com/be-part-of-it/events/bpm-camp-virtual- event?utm_
source=Sourceforge_BPM_Camp_5_6_15&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=VA_SF
_______________________________________________
micro-manager-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/micro-manager-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PCO Camera ROI Question

Subhas_C
Hi,

This is Subhas, a post-doc fellow in TIFR, Hyderabad in India. We are trying
to use uManager (MM) to combine a sCMOS camera (PCO.edge with camera link
interface), a Thorlabs XY-stage (MLS202 with BBD203 driver controller) and a
PI-piezo to perform some TIRF imaging.

Everything seems working fine except the selection of ROI in the MM live
window as below (figure-1/2). In figure-1 I selected an almost squire ROI,
but after pressing set-ROI, it comes like figure-2 which is not as the ROI
as I selected. I was using 14.2.2 version of uManager also tried latest
nightly build but no luck.
<http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/file/t397081/Fig1_before_ROI.png>
<http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/file/t397081/Fig2_after_ROI.png>

Please help me out of this issue or am I doing any mistake?

Lastly, is there any option of setting the ROI manually by putting the pixel
no.?

with thanks
Subhas



--
Sent from: http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
micro-manager-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/micro-manager-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PCO Camera ROI Question

AustinBlanco
An ugly hack to fix this (if you don’t want to dig into the camera driver, which is likely the core issue) would be to set up a few example ROI’s with known coordinates, and figure out what the resulting error is. It’s likely something simple like 2x in the vertical. 
Once you figure out the scaling/error, make a small script to take your desired ROI, and convert it to a scale that the camera driver will accept, which will then result in getting what you want. 

Not an officially correct way to fix the issue, but it’d get you operational until the driver can be patched. 


Austin Blanco
Advanced Research Consulting Corporation
e. [hidden email]
w. www.advancedresearch.co
c. 510.708.2995





On Jan 16, 2018, at 12:35 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

Hi,

This is Subhas, a post-doc fellow in TIFR, Hyderabad in India. We are trying
to use uManager (MM) to combine a sCMOS camera (PCO.edge with camera link
interface), a Thorlabs XY-stage (MLS202 with BBD203 driver controller) and a
PI-piezo to perform some TIRF imaging.

Everything seems working fine except the selection of ROI in the MM live
window as below (figure-1/2). In figure-1 I selected an almost squire ROI,
but after pressing set-ROI, it comes like figure-2 which is not as the ROI
as I selected. I was using 14.2.2 version of uManager also tried latest
nightly build but no luck.
<http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/file/t397081/Fig1_before_ROI.png>
<http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/file/t397081/Fig2_after_ROI.png>

Please help me out of this issue or am I doing any mistake?

Lastly, is there any option of setting the ROI manually by putting the pixel
no.?

with thanks
Subhas



--
Sent from: http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
micro-manager-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/micro-manager-general


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
micro-manager-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/micro-manager-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PCO Camera ROI Question

JonD
Administrator

>> This is Subhas, a post-doc fellow in TIFR, Hyderabad in India. We are
>> trying
>> to use uManager (MM) to combine a sCMOS camera (PCO.edge with camera link
>> interface), a Thorlabs XY-stage (MLS202 with BBD203 driver controller)
>> and a
>> PI-piezo to perform some TIRF imaging.
>>
>> Everything seems working fine except the selection of ROI in the MM live
>> window as below (figure-1/2). In figure-1 I selected an almost squire
>> ROI,
>> but after pressing set-ROI, it comes like figure-2 which is not as the
>> ROI
>> as I selected. I was using 14.2.2 version of uManager also tried latest
>> nightly build but no luck.
>> &lt;http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/file/t397081/Fig1_before_ROI.png&gt; 
>> &lt;http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/file/t397081/Fig2_after_ROI.png&gt; 
>>
>> Please help me out of this issue or am I doing any mistake?
>>
>> Lastly, is there any option of setting the ROI manually by putting the
>> pixel
>> no.?

Here are some ideas in addition to what Austin wrote.

Perhaps there is some limit on allowable ROI dimensions.  You could try
changing the ROI in the manufacturer's software (and maybe that setting will
even get carried over when you launch MM).

You can try contacting PCO directly about this, they are among the hardware
manufacturers who take ownership of MM device adapter code including fixing
bugs and adding features as needed.

You can set the camera ROI from a script using the following command:

, e.g.

Getting the current ROI is as simple as



Jon

--------------------------------------------
Jon Daniels
Applied Scientific Instrumentation
29391 West Enid Rd, Eugene, OR 97402
Phone: (541) 461-8181 x118
--------------------------------------------





--
Sent from: http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
micro-manager-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/micro-manager-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PCO Camera ROI Question

Franz Reitner, pco ag
In reply to this post by Gregory McKay
Hi all,

this is Franz from pco ag. I'm the developer for the MM device adapter from pco. We're permanently listening to this mailing list in order to give the community immediate support.

A pco.edge camera needs a vertical symmetric ROI, which can be seen in the Fig2_after_ROI.png. This is due to the camera internal readout.
With the current MM device adapter version there is no way to stick with the ROI set in Fig1_before_ROI.png. Sorry for this, but the hardware does not support this.

Regards,
Franz

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: JonD [mailto:[hidden email]]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 17. Januar 2018 01:25
An: [hidden email]
Betreff: Re: [micro-manager-general] PCO Camera ROI Question


>> This is Subhas, a post-doc fellow in TIFR, Hyderabad in India. We are
>> trying to use uManager (MM) to combine a sCMOS camera (PCO.edge with
>> camera link interface), a Thorlabs XY-stage (MLS202 with BBD203
>> driver controller) and a PI-piezo to perform some TIRF imaging.
>>
>> Everything seems working fine except the selection of ROI in the MM
>> live window as below (figure-1/2). In figure-1 I selected an almost
>> squire ROI, but after pressing set-ROI, it comes like figure-2 which
>> is not as the ROI as I selected. I was using 14.2.2 version of
>> uManager also tried latest nightly build but no luck.
>> &lt;http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/file/t397081/Fig1_befo
>> re_ROI.png&gt;
>> &lt;http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/file/t397081/Fig2_afte
>> r_ROI.png&gt;
>>
>> Please help me out of this issue or am I doing any mistake?
>>
>> Lastly, is there any option of setting the ROI manually by putting
>> the pixel no.?

Here are some ideas in addition to what Austin wrote.

Perhaps there is some limit on allowable ROI dimensions.  You could try changing the ROI in the manufacturer's software (and maybe that setting will even get carried over when you launch MM).

You can try contacting PCO directly about this, they are among the hardware manufacturers who take ownership of MM device adapter code including fixing bugs and adding features as needed.

You can set the camera ROI from a script using the following command:

, e.g.

Getting the current ROI is as simple as



Jon

--------------------------------------------
Jon Daniels
Applied Scientific Instrumentation
29391 West Enid Rd, Eugene, OR 97402
Phone: (541) 461-8181 x118
--------------------------------------------





--
Sent from: http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot _______________________________________________
micro-manager-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/micro-manager-general

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
micro-manager-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/micro-manager-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PCO Camera ROI Question

Subhas_C
In reply to this post by AustinBlanco
Thank you all for comments/suggestions.

I don't think this is really a scaling issue, as Austin said because in the
PCO.edge software almost any ROI can be selected except if it is not very
small (<~400 pixels).

Anyway, I must give a try. But I think this issue is there in the driver for
selecting ROI from the image taken but not from camera configuration
settings.

thanks
Subhas



--
Sent from: http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
micro-manager-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/micro-manager-general