PFS status

Hernan Garcia
Hi!

I'm playing around with scripts that use the Nikon PFS. The commands isContinuousFocusEnabled and isContinuousFocusLocked are very useful for this. However, there's an extra state that I'd like to access. This state corresponds to engaging the PFS it finding the coverslip and moving slowly towards it. When it gets there it locks and a dot shows up right next to "On" on the Nikon display. Is there an easy way to access this information?

Thanks!

Hernan

Re: PFS status

Nico Stuurman-4
Hi Hernan,

> I'm playing around with scripts that use the Nikon PFS. The commands
> isContinuousFocusEnabled and isContinuousFocusLocked are very useful
> for this. However, there's an extra state that I'd like to access.
> This state corresponds to engaging the PFS it finding the coverslip
> and moving slowly towards it. When it gets there it locks and a dot
> shows up right next to "On" on the Nikon display. Is there an easy
> way to access this information?

On the TE2000, it looks like we did not implement a "status" property
(could add that if people need it).  On the TI, the "PFSStatus" device
has a property called "Status".  I think that you are interested in
the Status "Off - In Range".

In a script you can get the status as follows:

pfsStatus = mmc.getProperty("PFS", "Status");
if (pfsStatus.equals("Off - In Range"))
        gui.message("PFS is in range!");

Change the name "PFS" to whatever you called it in your configuration
file.

Re: PFS status

hggarcia
Hi Nico!

> > I'm playing around with scripts that use the Nikon PFS. The commands
> > isContinuousFocusEnabled and isContinuousFocusLocked are very useful
> > for this. However, there's an extra state that I'd like to access.
> > This state corresponds to engaging the PFS it finding the coverslip
> > and moving slowly towards it. When it gets there it locks and a dot
> > shows up right next to "On" on the Nikon display. Is there an easy
> > way to access this information?
>
> On the TE2000, it looks like we did not implement a "status" property
> (could add that if people need it).  On the TI, the "PFSStatus" device
> has a property called "Status".  I think that you are interested in
> the Status "Off - In Range".
>
> In a script you can get the status as follows:
>
> pfsStatus = mmc.getProperty("PFS", "Status");
> if (pfsStatus.equals("Off - In Range"))
> gui.message("PFS is in range!");
>
> Change the name "PFS" to whatever you called it in your configuration
> file.

I guess there are many different states:

1) Off - Out of range
2) Off - In range
3) On and locked
4) On and moving towards the required position

I don't know if 4) makes sense, but that's the one I'm interested in. I
think 1) and 2) are very useful as well. I'll include that in my script.

Thanks!

Hernan

Re: PFS status

Nico Stuurman
Administrator
>>> I'm playing around with scripts that use the Nikon PFS.
> I guess there are many different states:
>
> 1) Off - Out of range
> 2) Off - In range
> 3) On and locked
> 4) On and moving towards the required position

The states reported by the Nikon TI PFS that we know about (I was
unable to find documentation) are:

  "Off - Out Of Range", 1
  "Off - In Range", 2
  "Unkown", 3