PI E-662 z-stage

DaveHughes
Hello,

I am currently setting up a microscope system under control of micromanager.

I am observing strange behaviour with our objective Z-stage mount. It is a Physik Instrument PIFOC (controlled by an E-662 box). The device was working fine using the C-Imaging software suite SimplePCI (and responds to Hyperterminal commands).

I added the device to micromanager and after being given a time-out error, the device now fails to respond to any RS232 commands, through micromanager, simplePCI and even hyperterminal. The stage is still able to be controlled using the front controls, but it just isn't responding to RS232.

I have tried turning off the box, restarting the computer, different COM ports, Cables, other devices on the same com port (the com port is working!). It is a new computer, built without serial ports, so I am running the devices all off USB serial ports. Each other device is working fine.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour? Or indeed, does anyone know how to fix the non-responsive E-662?

Dave

Re: PI E-662 z-stage

Nico Stuurman
Administrator
Hi Dave,

I am currently setting up a microscope system under control of micromanager.

I am observing strange behaviour with our objective Z-stage mount. It is a
Physik Instrument PIFOC (controlled by an E-662 box). The device was working
fine using the C-Imaging software suite SimplePCI (and responds to
Hyperterminal commands).

I added the device to micromanager and after being given a time-out error,
the device now fails to respond to any RS232 commands, through micromanager,
simplePCI and even hyperterminal. The stage is still able to be controlled
using the front controls, but it just isn't responding to RS232.

The E-662 controller has two modes, in one mode it can be controlled from the front panel, in the other mode it can be controlled through the remote interface (RS232).  The command to switch is:
DEV:CONT REM
To put it in RS232 control mode, and
DEV:CONT LOC
To put it back in front panel operated mode.

Perhaps, Micro-Manager switched the box to front panel control mode (I am not sure why) and the box decided to stay in that mode?

Try issuing "DEV:CONT REM" from Hyperterminal and see if that lets you issue commands again from Hyperterminal.

Other than that, I do not see how Micro-Manager could cause the behavior you describe for the E-662 controller, all it does is send very simple commands through the RS232 interface.

Once you got it woking again, make sure to put Micro-Manager in debug mode.  The file Corelog.txt should give some information abotut the time out that you experienced.

Re: PI E-662 z-stage

DaveHughes
I have already tried the DEV:CONT REM commands through hyperterminal and the PI terminal program, but from looking at the activity over the serial port via a snooper program, the E-662 is not responding at all. Even *IDN? doesn't return an answer.

I am also at a loss to explain how Micromanager could have caused this (the boss suggested it and I figured it wouldn't hurt to raise it here).

I shall have a look at the logs when I'm back in the lab tomorrow (I have debug logging enabled as I am currently writing a lot of device adapters for the system), but as far as I recall, there is nothing out of the ordinary other than a timeout.

Dave

Re: PI E-662 z-stage

Zoltan
We had (well, still have) the same problem with a very similar
configuration.  The whole system worked fine for many weeks, one of
our PhD students used it regularly with uM.  One day he reported that
the box is not responding any more to RS232 commands.  We also used to
run the system via a USB-to-serial converter as COM3.  Our electrical
engineer says that the RS232 chip of the box may have burnt out, but
couldn't actually fix it.  I'll be curious to hear if you figure some
other possible reason (s) out!
  Best wishes,

Zoltan

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 7:31 PM, DaveHughes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have already tried the DEV:CONT REM commands through hyperterminal and the
> PI terminal program, but from looking at the activity over the serial port
> via a snooper program, the E-662 is not responding at all. Even *IDN?
> doesn't return an answer.
>
> I am also at a loss to explain how Micromanager could have caused this (the
> boss suggested it and I figured it wouldn't hurt to raise it here).
>
> I shall have a look at the logs when I'm back in the lab tomorrow (I have
> debug logging enabled as I am currently writing a lot of device adapters for
> the system), but as far as I recall, there is nothing out of the ordinary
> other than a timeout.
>
> Dave

Zoltan Cseresnyes
Facility manager, Imaging Suite
University of Cambridge

Re: PI E-662 z-stage

DaveHughes
I have just had an email and advice from an employee at PI who posts on this list. His advice worked perfectly for me and I now have my PI unit working again through RS-232, however, the micromanager driver doesn't seem to be working.

His advice for me was that the E-662 had somehow lost it's baudrate settings and the method of resetting this was to turn the unit on, and while the decimal point is blinking (while the unit is initialising), turn the box back off. Then when the unit is turned back on, the baud-rate should be reset to 9600.

If only this was in the manual!

Hope this works for you too.

Dave