PI-Piezo Z stage problem?

Mickael-2
Hi everybody,

I work on the Nikon Ti-E eclipse microscope. All components of this one
are controlled with µmanager. All components are PFS, Z Stage, XY stage,
camera Andor, Sutter filter wheel... Recently, we have intalled a piezo
Z objective from PI. This one is controlled with the E-665 LVPZT
controller/Amplifier, I try to control it with PZTcontrol software and
it's ok. Now I would like to control the Piezo with µmanager, I 'm
try to do a z stack, µmanager has crashed or give me the following
message : verify the connection on the com port.

Please help me to understand the problem and resolve it.

Thank a lot

Mickaël

Re: PI-Piezo Z stage problem?

Roy Wollman
Hi Mickaël

We have the same PI (E-665) setup and a very similar problem. We get
this error ~1/10 times we call the stage. So far we haven't found a
way to overcome it. The only difference between our setups it seems is
that we had the system set up on 9600 baudrate. Not sure if it makes a
difference or not.

We're currently looking for solution for this problem as well... just
wanted to let you know you're not alone :)

Best,
Roy

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 2:01 AM, Mickael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I work on the Nikon Ti-E eclipse microscope. All components of this one
> are controlled with µmanager. All components are PFS, Z Stage, XY stage,
> camera Andor, Sutter filter wheel... Recently, we have intalled a piezo
> Z objective from PI. This one is controlled with the E-665 LVPZT
> controller/Amplifier, I try to control it with PZTcontrol software and
> it's ok. Now I would like to control the Piezo with µmanager, I 'm
> try to do a z stack, µmanager has crashed or give me the following
> message : verify the connection on the com port.
>
> Please help me to understand the problem and resolve it.
>
> Thank a lot
>
> Mickaël

Re: PI-Piezo Z stage problem?

Nenad Amodaj
Hi Mickael and Roy,

I also had a problem but with PI E-662. It just did not work with micro-manager. When I tried to control the stage through Windows terminal I noticed that the stage executes commands but does not send any responses back. The current micro-manager adapter expects responses from the device and that's why it does not work.

I also had a look at Roy's setup (E-665) yesterday and I believe that in this case the software adapter (or the stage) does not correctly report whether it is busy or not. When multiple commands come in rapid sequence the communication gets messed up. Not quite sure if that's really the case but we are trying to find the solution.

Best
Regards