Point Grey multi camera

Matthew Bakalar
I am putting together a wide-field microscope with three-channel LED illumination. I would like to use three separate Chameleon3 CM3-U3-31S4M cameras, using interleaved LED excitation to collect three channels with no moving filter wheel. Will micromanager be able to support three of these cameras simultaneously? eEach camera is triggered sequentially to collect an image using the filter that matches the active LED, synchronized with Austin Blanco's fantastic Triggerscope device. Thanks for the help.

Matt Bakalar

Re: Point Grey multi camera

Kyle Douglass

Hi Matt,

In the past I had a second camera that was physically too far away for the cable to reach the control PC, so I found an unused second PC to acquire the images from this camera. The cameras were setup in a master/slave configuration, but you should be able to trigger all of them from the TriggerScope like you mentioned. I would prime the slave PC's MM acquisition by writing a JSON text file to a shared network folder from the master PC that contained the desired acquisition parameters; when the file appeared and its contents were read by the slave PC, the second camera would initialize the acquisition and wait for the trigger signal. The second PC would loop every few seconds waiting for this file to appear.

This is a bit inelegant, but it works in case you can't use all three Chameleon's with MM on the same computer (I don't know whether you can; I suspect not). You could also try Karl Bellve's and Matt Neuro's MM REST server if you go this route. https://github.com/kbellve/MMrestServer

Finally, you might also be familiar with Hazen Babcock's recent preprint using four such cameras on one setup, albeit with custom Python code instead of MM:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/early/2017/09/09/186544

Cheers,

Kyle

Dr. Kyle M. Douglass
Post-doctoral Researcher
EPFL - The Laboratory of Experimental Biophysics
http://leb.epfl.ch/
http://kmdouglass.github.io