Point Source/ Qioptic / Excelitas iFlex Viper 5 Line Laser System - Control with Micromanager

Point Source/ Qioptic / Excelitas iFlex Viper 5 Line Laser System - Control with Micromanager

benderlee
This post was updated on .
Hi everyone,

We acquired a Point Source iFlex Viper 5 Line Laser System.  Here are some
pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/jXnnD9f

We do not have the USB controller for it.  We are trying to see if we can
get it somehow from Qioptic/Excelitas.

In the meantime though, we were trying to figure out how to control the
laser with Micromanager via the AUX1 input.

Here is a PDF instruction set for the iFlex Viper System:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/464m4fvssl7qbeh/PSB1042%20iFLEX%20Viper%20Five-Line%20Laser%20Engine.pdf?dl=0

Also, here is a PDF instruction set for the iFlex Viper System's USB
Controller (we do not have this):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nryzwtqazf50kli/PSB1068%20iFLEX-Viper%20USB%20Controller%20Software%20Installation%20and%20Operating%20I....pdf?dl=0

According to this USB controller PDF instruction, this USB controller uses
a Velleman K8061 DAQ, which MicroManager seems to have support for (written
by Austin Blanco):

https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Velleman_K8061

However, what is strange is that MicroManager also has support for the
iFlex Viper System separately (written by Tom Porter of Excelitas/QiOptic):

https://micro-manager.org/wiki/USB_Viper_QPL

And it seems like this version of the Viper uses the Measurement Computing
USB-3101 DAQ.

We also found this (written by Matthew Bakalar):

https://valelab4.ucsf.edu/svn/micromanager2/trunk/DeviceAdapters/USB_Viper_QPL/

If we had to take a guess, it seems as though the Viper system has an
updated USB controller with the USB-3103 DAQ.  We were wondering though:

1.) If anyone has successfully controlled the iFlex Viper System with
Micromanager

2.) If so, which USB controller they had

If we can't obtain the USB controller, we will try to make a custom set up
for the iFlex Viper System using a DAQ, as the pin outs for the AUX 1 input
(see PDF instruction for the IFlex Viper System with the pin out diagram)
seem to be fairly straightforward.

Any and all input would be immensely appreciated.

Thank you all so much.

Re: Point Source/ Qioptic / Excelitas iFlex Viper 5 Line Laser System - Control with Micromanager

Nico Stuurman-2
Hi Brandon,

We acquired a Point Source iFlex Viper 5 Line Laser System.  Here are some pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/jXnnD9f

We do not have the USB controller for it.  We are trying to see if we can get it somehow from Qioptic/Excelitas.

I think (but not 100% sure), that the USB controller is actually an external controller that connects to the SMA inputs.  So, after you have everything wired up correctly (do you have the original cables as well?), you can control indivdiual laser intensities through the SMA inputs. It is not easy to find a good DAC board, and the K8061 was a cheap (albeit relatively slow) solution.  I guess that the Measurement Computing has similar analog outputs.

In the meantime though, we were trying to figure out how to control the laser with Micromanager via the AUX1 input.

I have the impression that the AUX1 input is meant to be used as a safety interlock.  I assume that it powers the lasers up and down, which is likely (but I am not sure about this) to be slow.

That may be the easiest way to get full control.  You can still buy these boards (for instance: https://www.vellemanstore.com/en/vellamen-k8061-extended-usb-interface-board), and you will need to wire these into the SMA connectors.  B.t.w., I don't want to be pedantic, but I wrote that code.

However, what is strange is that MicroManager also has support for the iFlex Viper System separately (written by Tom Porter of Excelitas/QiOptic):

https://micro-manager.org/wiki/USB_Viper_QPL

And it seems like this version of the Viper uses the Measurement Computing USB-3101 DAQ.

Not so much "version of the Viper" as "used another digital analog converter board.  Also, even though the Micro-Manager website lists Tom Porter as author, Matthew Bakalar (presumably then at UC Berkeley) is listed as author of the code itself.

Re: Point Source/ Qioptic / Excelitas iFlex Viper 5 Line Laser System - Control with Micromanager

benderlee
1.) According to the PDF instructions of the iFlex Viper system and for the
official USB Controller:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/464m4fvssl7qbeh/PSB1042%20iFLEX%20Viper%20Five-Line%20Laser%20Engine.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nryzwtqazf50kli/PSB1068%20iFLEX-Viper%20USB%20Controller%20Software%20Installation%20and%20Operating%20I....pdf?dl=0

The AUX1 input is for the laser ON/OFF control (5 volts to certain pins
turns each laser on/off individually) and there is a separate
SAFETY/INTERLOCK connection.

2.) The SMA/SMCs connectors for each laser are connected to the USB
controller as well, and each laser's power/intensity is modulated via a
voltage of between 1-5v applied to an individual SMA/SMC (according to the
PDF)

3.) Thanks for the suggestion with the Velleman K8061 - and sorry, for some
reason we thought Austin Blanco wrote it since it was in his blog, thanks so
much.

4.) We contacted Tom Porter at Excelitas and he mentioned that they switched
to the Velleman K8061 due to the fact that Micromanager stopped working with
the Velleman K8061 after a certain version - this does not seem to be
accurate though.  Regardless, I think the next step for us will be to see if
we can contact Matthew Bakalar to see if he can kindly help us with how
exactly he set up the Viper System with the Measurement Computing USB-3103
DAQ (there was a typo in my last post, it is the 3103 not 3101).

Thank you so much for all of your help/suggestions.

On 7/5/18 12:01 PM, benderlee wrote:
> 1.) According to the PDF instructions of the iFlex Viper system and for the
> official USB Controller:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/464m4fvssl7qbeh/PSB1042%20iFLEX%20Viper%20Five-Line%20Laser%20Engine.pdf?dl=0

This documentation clearly lists the AUX1 connection under Safety
Features, and says that the pinx on the AUX1 connector determined which
laser should be "enabled".  Again, you can give it a try, but this does
not seem to have been designed with fast laser shuttering in mind.
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/nryzwtqazf50kli/PSB1068%20iFLEX-Viper%20USB%20Controller%20Software%20Installation%20and%20Operating%20I....pdf?dl=0

Ah!  They have the K8061 in that official USB controller!  So, just
order one of those, wire it up to the SMAs and AUX1 and there you go!

Re: Point Source/ Qioptic / Excelitas iFlex Viper 5 Line Laser System - Control with Micromanager

benderlee
So just an update from the last post just now, I contacted Matthew Bakalar
and already heard back from him - it seems like he just wrote the code for
the Measurement Computing USB-3103 DAQ in Micromanager:

https://micro-manager.org/wiki/MCCDAQ

As Matthew did not have any experience with the iFlex Viper system.

I am guessing that Tom Porter in Excelitas wrote a custom version of
Matthew's code for the iFlex Viper in Micromanager:

https://micro-manager.org/wiki/USB_Viper_QPL

I wish I knew how exactly Tom Porter/Excelitas/Point Source/QiImaging
connected the iFlex Viper Laser system to the Measurement Computing USB-3103
DAQ so that I can just plug and play using the existing Micromanager support
code for the iFlex Viper.  I will try to do some more digging - any more
suggestions in the meantime would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks again for all your help.

Re: Point Source/ Qioptic / Excelitas iFlex Viper 5 Line Laser System - Control with Micromanager

benderlee
This post was updated on .
Hello Nico,

First off, thank you so much for already helping us out so much with our
iFlex Viper system/control via Micromanager.  While we are not there yet,
your incredibly insightful expertise has already shed a lot of light on what
we need to do.

1.) You were absolutely right in that according to the manual for the iFlex
Viper:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/464m4fvssl7qbeh/PSB1042%20iFLEX%20Viper%20Five-Line%20Laser%20Engine.pdf?dl=0

It should normally come with an Interlock Plug AND an AUX1 Plug (both).  It
says on page 11:

"An AUX 1 accessory is
provided with every iFLEX-Viper™ system to override this feature, should the
User
warrant that this feature is surplus to their requirements."

This is the AUX1 plug which we do not have.  Do you think something like
this will suffice:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DB15-Female-D-SUB-2-Row-15Pin-Plug-Breakout-Terminal-Solderless-Connector-Screw/171850385659?hash=item280314c8fb%3Ag%3A36IAAOSwYmZXD5SM&_sacat=0&_nkw=d+sub+15+female+breakout&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

Do you think we will need to "jump" certain wires or will connecting that be
good enough?  Any and all help would be immensely helpful.

We have a few more questions about the DAQ board control of the lasers via
the SMC/SMA connections, but one thing at a time.

Also, here is a link to detailed pictures of the laser system again:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0avjqi912nipu5l/AACGhNOl8BUh54IJXA_eY3pqa?dl=0

Once again, we are eternally grateful and indebted for all of the help you
provide for us students.

Thank you so much.

On 7/14/18 12:43 PM, benderlee wrote:

> First off, thank you so much for already helping us out so much with our
> iFlex Viper system/control via Micromanager.  While we are not there yet,
> your incredibly insightful expertise has already shed a lot of light on what
> we need to do.
>
> 1.) You were absolutely right in that according to the manual for the iFlex
> Viper:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/464m4fvssl7qbeh/PSB1042%20iFLEX%20Viper%20Five-Line%20Laser%20Engine.pdf?dl=0
>
> It should normally come with an Interlock Plug AND an AUX1 Plug (both).  It
> says on page 11:
>
> "An AUX 1 accessory is
> provided with every iFLEX-Viper™ system to override this feature, should the
> User
> warrant that this feature is surplus to their requirements."
>
> This is the AUX1 plug which we do not have.  Do you think something like
> this will suffice:
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/DB15-Female-D-SUB-2-Row-15Pin-Plug-Breakout-Terminal-Solderless-Connector-Screw/171850385659?hash=item280314c8fb%3Ag%3A36IAAOSwYmZXD5SM&_sacat=0&_nkw=d+sub+15+female+breakout&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313
>
> Do you think we will need to "jump" certain wires or will connecting that be
> good enough?  Any and all help would be immensely helpful.

Yes, that looks right.  Make a connection (using 19, 21, or 24 AWG wire)
from pin 7 to pins 1 through 6, plug it in, and that should open the
shutter and enable all laser lines.