PointGrey (FLIR) camera recommendation for best support in MM

PointGrey (FLIR) camera recommendation for best support in MM

timrudge
Hi - I am setting up a Nikon Ti2-E with MicroManager, so far seems to work well. I now want to add a camera for fluorescence. Looking at PointGrey (now FLIR) they seem to have good sensitivity at low cost. In particular the BlackFly and BlackFly S range.

Now the problem is that MM does not currently support BlackFly S (due to the change to Spinnacker library?), but does support BlackFly via the PointGrey adaptor.

However, there are BlackFly S models with GigE interface, that apparently is supported by MM.

My question is, which adaptor is recommended? The PointGrey adaptor will limit my choice of cameras (No BlackFly S) but if it offers better support then I prefer to stick to USB.

I have seen good reviews/experience with the BFLY-U3-23S6M-C for fluorescence imaging, and I see that this was tested with the PointGrey adaptor, so I am tempted to opt for this camera.. any advice very welcome!

Thanks
Tim

Re: PointGrey (FLIR) camera recommendation for best support in MM

nathalieqbb@gmail.com
Hi Tim,

Good to hear that you are using MM for the new Nikon Ti2. Do you have the PFS module too? Does it work properly with MM?
Thanks,
Nathalie

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 12:32 AM, Tim Rudge <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Prof. Nathalie Q. Balaban

Racah Institute of Physics

The Hebrew University

Jerusalem, 91904, Israel

Phone: +972-2-6585400 ; Fax: +972-2-6585474

Lab website: http://bio-site.phys.huji.ac.il/

Re: PointGrey (FLIR) camera recommendation for best support in MM

ALON OYLER YANIV
Hi Tim,

We’ve been using the older ptgrey chameleon3 for a while and generally like them. Unfortunately they are not super supportive of micromanager development and don’t allow redistribution of their libraries. The newer cameras don’t have an adapter available yet, and ptgrey aren’t developing it or supporting development. Ptgrey also often have supply chain issues and very long lead times.

Recently we started using Ximea cameras. They have the exact same Sony sensor and therefore identical specs. They have a fully functional adapter that they actively develop and support. Lead time was a few days. Very happy with those. I encourage you to look into them.

Best,
Alon Oyler-Yaniv
Wollman Lab, UCLA

On Jul 15, 2018, at 7:58 AM, Nathalie Qb <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Alon for the suggestion. And the prices are comparable? Requesting some quotes...

---
Tim Rudge, PhD
Assistant Professor,
Institute for Biological and Medical Engineering /
Department of Chemical and Bioprocess Engineering
Universidad Católica de Chile
+56946560677