Problem with serial Port communication

Simon Mali
Hello
In the system I have my electronics attached directly to COM1 RS232 port on the motherboard which is then communicating with termite or GUI. Next I have a NIJI LED source which is driven by RS232 to USB converter and is connected to PC by an USB port. The COM port number is allocated by WIN10.
Problem here is when I start uManager I lose communication to my electronics. The communication to NIJI source works as expected but I don't have any communication on other COM port. I guess uManager has some problem with releasing the COM ports while scanning for NIJI source. To avoid this situation I would like to allocate the NIJI source to fix COM address in uManager that there is no need for scan on other COM ports. My question is: is this possible, if yes, how to do it. If no, how to solve this problem.
Best regards
Simon

Re: Problem with serial Port communication

Nico Stuurman-2
Hi Simon,

> In the system I have my electronics attached directly to COM1 RS232
> port on the motherboard which is then communicating with termite or
> GUI. Next I have a NIJI LED source which is driven by RS232 to USB
> converter and is connected to PC by an USB port. The COM port number
> is allocated by WIN10.
> Problem here is when I start uManager I lose communication to my
> electronics. The communication to NIJI source works as expected but I
> don't have any communication on other COM port. I guess uManager has
> some problem with releasing the COM ports while scanning for NIJI
> source. To avoid this situation I would like to allocate the NIJI
> source to fix COM address in uManager that there is no need for scan
> on other COM ports. My question is: is this possible, if yes, how to
> do it. If no, how to solve this problem.

Micro-Manager only scans for serial ports in the Hardware Configuration
Wizard, and even then only if you ask it to do so.  My guess is that you
somehow have COM1 included in your configuration file.  If so, MM will
open COM1 and you can no longer talk to it from other applications.
Open your configuration file in a text editor and ensure that COM1 is
not mentioned anywhere.

There is a possibility that the Niji adaptor code (I guess you are using
the BlueboxOptics_Niji:
https://micro-manager.org/wiki/BlueboxOptics_niji) is doing something
tricky, but that is a bit unlikely (Egor Zindy would know;).

Re: Problem with serial Port communication

Simon Mali
Hi Nico
Thank you very much for your fast reply. Because I don't have a clue about uManager can you tell me more into detail where I can find this settings in Hardware Configuration Wizard and also how can I find this configuration file?
Regarding Bluebox Niji I don't have complains for the moment. Is working as expected. But what can Niji do here tricky? Let me know.
Best regards
Simon

> On March 6, 2020 7:18 PM Stuurman, Nico <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi Simon,
>
> > In the system I have my electronics attached directly to COM1 RS232
> > port on the motherboard which is then communicating with termite or
> > GUI. Next I have a NIJI LED source which is driven by RS232 to USB
> > converter and is connected to PC by an USB port. The COM port number
> > is allocated by WIN10.
> > Problem here is when I start uManager I lose communication to my
> > electronics. The communication to NIJI source works as expected but I
> > don't have any communication on other COM port. I guess uManager has
> > some problem with releasing the COM ports while scanning for NIJI
> > source. To avoid this situation I would like to allocate the NIJI
> > source to fix COM address in uManager that there is no need for scan
> > on other COM ports. My question is: is this possible, if yes, how to
> > do it. If no, how to solve this problem.
>
> Micro-Manager only scans for serial ports in the Hardware Configuration
> Wizard, and even then only if you ask it to do so.  My guess is that you
> somehow have COM1 included in your configuration file.  If so, MM will
> open COM1 and you can no longer talk to it from other applications.
> Open your configuration file in a text editor and ensure that COM1 is
> not mentioned anywhere.
>
> There is a possibility that the Niji adaptor code (I guess you are using
> the BlueboxOptics_Niji:
> https://micro-manager.org/wiki/BlueboxOptics_niji) is doing something
> tricky, but that is a bit unlikely (Egor Zindy would know;).
>

> Best,
>
> Nico

Re: Problem with serial Port communication

Nico Stuurman-2
Hi Simon,

> Thank you very much for your fast reply. Because I don't have a clue about uManager can you tell me more into detail where I can find this settings in Hardware Configuration Wizard and also how can I find this configuration file?

It is the file you select when Micro-Manager starts.  See:
https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Micro-Manager_User%27s_Guide#Getting_started

In general please use the website https://micro-manager.org to learn
Micro-Manager basics that are unclear to you.

You must have made one (or someone else did) or your Niji would not work
for you.

Re: Problem with serial Port communication

Simon Mali
Hello Nico
I have corrected the Hardware Configuration File according to your instructions and the device works as expected. Thank you very much for your support.
Best regards
Simon