Problems with Leica Hardware (DMRA2 and DFC Cameras)

Problems with Leica Hardware (DMRA2 and DFC Cameras)

S. Pagakis
Dear Nico

Thanks for the reply

I did download MM and it looks as it is exactly what I needed.  However, I had problems communicating both with our Leica Microscope (DMRA2) and all our Leica cameras (DFC350. DFC500 and DFC320) using the TWAIN interface.

I will give here some info, in case someone could give me some pointers.

The microscope works under MicrCtrl a small application which uses the Leica DM SDK library.  So there is an established communication through com1.  In case this created a conflict, I tried rebooting and NOT starting the Leica software before trying the MM.  No luck

Also, all the cameras I tried work through the LAS Leica software.  Therefore the drivers are present- not sure though whether I need to "link" them somehow with MM, or whether I should delete/disable the Leica drivers and let MM to use its own.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Stamatis

On Dec 4, 2009, at 3:48 PM, Nico Stuurman wrote:

I noticed from the web site that you now (v1.3) support Leica cameras?

I wanted to check this with you, before I start trying things.

So we have a Leica DMRA2, a DFC350 and/or DFC500 firewire cameras and windows XP
Will these work with the new veriosn so we can automate acquisition?

Leica cameras work through the TWAIN interface.  It is a crippled interface though, and things will work slow.

Thank you

Stamatis

*********************************
Stamatis Pagakis Ph.D.
Biological Imaging Unit
Biomedical Research Foundation, Academy of Athens
Soranou Efessiou 4, Athens 115 27 - Greece
M:     +306946644955
W:     +302106597481
FAX: +302106597545

Re: Problems with Leica Hardware (DMRA2 and DFC Cameras)

Hoover, Karl
Hello Stamatis,

It is good to see you are trying microManager on your system.  The Leica microscopes are pretty well supported by microManager, while the Leica cameras are only supported via the Twain interface, the performance of which is not so great.  Please tell us what problems you are encountering. For example it would help us to see the log file from the program startup. Please take a look at the FAQ:

https://valelab.ucsf.edu/~nico/MMwiki/index.php/Micro-Manager_FAQ#Something_does_not_work.__What_do_I_do.3F

Best Regards
Karl Hoover

http://www.bioacademy.gr/Faculty/core.php?cr=17

Re: Problems with Leica Hardware (DMRA2 and DFC Cameras)

S. Pagakis
Hi Karl

I made the Leica DFC camera work.

Two quick questions.

1)It seems that i can not control the binning or the gain.  Is there
a way?
2) IN MY TWAIN-32 directory, there are more than 1 .ds files.  MM
apparently goes and selects the first one.  Is there a way to define
which one to use in the config file?  At the moment, I simply put an
A in front of the name of the ds file I want loaded, not a very
elegant solution.

Controlling the microscope is now next.  Most probably I will get
back to you, when I have more info gathered.

Thanks

S. Pagakis

On Dec 15, 2009, at 2:14 PM, Hoover, Karl wrote:

> Hello Stamatis,
>
> It is good to see you are trying microManager on your system.  The
> Leica microscopes are pretty well supported by microManager, while
> the Leica cameras are only supported via the Twain interface, the
> performance of which is not so great.  Please tell us what problems
> you are encountering. For example it would help us to see the log
> file from the program startup. Please take a look at the FAQ:
>
> https://valelab.ucsf.edu/~nico/MMwiki/index.php/Micro-
> Manager_FAQ#Something_does_not_work.__What_do_I_do.3F
>

> Best Regards
> Karl Hoover

Hi Stamatis,

It is good to hear that the Twain Camera is working for you.

Your issues:

Gain:
There is no support for electronic gain in the Twain standard, however, vendors do define their own parameters. Sometimes they use the Twain mechanism for this but sometimes their use their own proprietary implementations. The only way I found to modify the gain and binning for the Leica camera was through their proprietary control program.

Binning:
As for binning, similary I was only able to modify the Leica camera acquistion mode via their proprietary interface also.

Camera Selection:
The ┬ÁManager Twain Device adapter was written with the intention to allow the user to select any of the Twain cameras attached to the system. During Hardware configuration you should see a drop down list of Twain cameras as a 'Pre-initialization' property.  This will be remembered in the configuration.

Best Regards,
Karl Hoover

________________________________
1)It seems that i can not control the binning or the gain.  Is there
a way?
2) IN MY TWAIN-32 directory, there are more than 1 .ds files.  MM
apparently goes and selects the first one.  Is there a way to define
which one to use in the config file?  At the moment, I simply put an
A in front of the name of the ds file I want loaded, not a very
elegant solution.

Controlling the microscope is now next.  Most probably I will get
back to you, when I have more info gathered.

Thanks

S. Pagakis

On Dec 15, 2009, at 2:14 PM, Hoover, Karl wrote:

> Hello Stamatis,
>
> It is good to see you are trying microManager on your system.  The
> Leica microscopes are pretty well supported by microManager, while
> the Leica cameras are only supported via the Twain interface, the
> performance of which is not so great.  Please tell us what problems
> you are encountering. For example it would help us to see the log
> file from the program startup. Please take a look at the FAQ:
>
> https://valelab.ucsf.edu/~nico/MMwiki/index.php/Micro-
> Manager_FAQ#Something_does_not_work.__What_do_I_do.3F
>

> Best Regards
> Karl Hoover

Fabrice Senger

Hi there,

as I red, you managed to use the Leica camera...I red aswell you're using a DFC camera and I'm not sure this is the same as DC 300F ? But in my hands, everything works fine until step 4, I still get an error 22 : problem with bit depth, also I checked with the tawain software I'm working with 8-bit...

It looks as if, while going trough the initialization step the program reads some preferences and that this is messing up everything ?

What exactly was your problem with the camera and how do you managed to fix it ?

Thank you,

Fabrice.

S. Pagakis (IIBEAA) wrote
Dear Nico

Thanks for the reply

I did download MM and it looks as it is exactly what I needed.
However, I had problems communicating both with our Leica Microscope
(DMRA2) and all our Leica cameras (DFC350. DFC500 and DFC320) using
the TWAIN interface.

I will give here some info, in case someone could give me some pointers.

The microscope works under MicrCtrl a small application which uses
the Leica DM SDK library.  So there is an established communication
through com1.  In case this created a conflict, I tried rebooting and
NOT starting the Leica software before trying the MM.  No luck

Also, all the cameras I tried work through the LAS Leica software.
Therefore the drivers are present- not sure though whether I need to
"link" them somehow with MM, or whether I should delete/disable the
Leica drivers and let MM to use its own.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Stamatis

On Dec 4, 2009, at 3:48 PM, Nico Stuurman wrote:

>> I noticed from the web site that you now (v1.3) support Leica
>> cameras?
>>
>> I wanted to check this with you, before I start trying things.
>>
>> So we have a Leica DMRA2, a DFC350 and/or DFC500 firewire cameras
>> and windows XP
>> Will these work with the new veriosn so we can automate acquisition?
>
> Leica cameras work through the TWAIN interface.  It is a crippled
> interface though, and things will work slow.
>
> Best,
>
> Nico
>

>> Thank you
>>
>> Stamatis
>>
>> *********************************
>> Stamatis Pagakis Ph.D.
>> Biological Imaging Unit
>> Biomedical Research Foundation, Academy of Athens
>> Soranou Efessiou 4, Athens 115 27 - Greece
>> M:     +306946644955
>> W:     +302106597481
>> FAX: +302106597545
>> http://www.bioacademy.gr/Faculty/core.php?cr=17

Re: Problems with Leica Hardware (DMRA2 and DFC Cameras)

S. Pagakis
Dear Fabrice

I did followed some of the instructions found in e-mails in this list.

In summary:

The DFC Twain software from Leica was left where it was (in windows/twain_32) , but I downloaded the TWAINDSM.dll file and copied it into Windows/System32.
For the DFC32 and DFC350 we have, the ds file it pick up is the DFC6.ds

However,   if there are more than 1 ds files, it picks up the first, so the name needs to be adjusted so it picks up the right one.

I also realised that the software works from the admin account but not from a noter "standard user" account, probably because of permission limitations.  it does give me a message about a "core property being read only".

I also get the bit depth error with the DCFC320 (which is a colour camera) in colour mode.  In gray mode it works fine.  But I do not need it to work with MM (I really need the bw 350 for fluorescence) so I did not look more into it.
PLEASE NOTE:  The bit-depth error does not depend on the MM operation (whether it is 8 or more bit ) as you mention but on the CAMERA operation (whether it is in colour or gray scale mode).  This parameter (also the binning) can not be set from within MM  but from within the Leica software ((which however CAN NOT operate simultaneously with MM).

Hope it helps.

S. Pagakis

S. Pagakis (IIBEAA) wrote:

[...]

Dear Karl

On Dec 16, 2009, at 7:54 PM, Hoover, Karl wrote:

> Camera Selection:
> The ┬ÁManager Twain Device adapter was written with the intention to
> allow the user to select any of the Twain cameras attached to the
> system. During Hardware configuration you should see a drop down
> list of Twain cameras as a 'Pre-initialization' property.  This
> will be remembered in the configuration

I do not get this drop down list you mention, and I am suspecting you
only get it IF BOTH CAMERAS ARE SIMULTANEOUSLY CONNECTED ON THE SYSTEM?

This is not my case however.  I unplug the one camera and plug in the
other, but their .ds files appear to stay behind even if the relevant
camera is not connected.

So the workaround I found was to make a copy or the relevant .ds
file, put an A in front of the name (so it is listed first) and now
both MM and the Leica software are happy.

If you can think of something more elegant, please let me know.

Regards,

Stamatis

> ________________________________

Problems with Leica DMRA2

S. Pagakis
Dear Karl

In trying to make the Leica DMRA2 talk to uM (and failing), I saw in
the site that although DMRs ARE supported, DMRA2 is not.

https://valelab.ucsf.edu/~nico/MMwiki/index.php/LeicaDMR

Is this still the case or am I looking at an older listing?

Thanks

Stamatis

I'm getting back to the list to clarify whether the

On Dec 15, 2009, at 2:14 PM, Hoover, Karl wrote:

> Hello Stamatis,
>
> It is good to see you are trying microManager on your system.  The
> Leica microscopes are pretty well supported by microManager, while
> the Leica cameras are only supported via the Twain interface, the
> performance of which is not so great.  Please tell us what problems
> you are encountering. For example it would help us to see the log
> file from the program startup. Please take a look at the FAQ:
>
> https://valelab.ucsf.edu/~nico/MMwiki/index.php/Micro-
> Manager_FAQ#Something_does_not_work.__What_do_I_do.3F
>

> Best Regards
> Karl Hoover

Re: Problems with Leica DMRA2

Nico Stuurman-4
> In trying to make the Leica DMRA2 talk to uM (and failing), I saw in
> the site that although DMRs ARE supported, DMRA2 is not.
>
> https://valelab.ucsf.edu/~nico/MMwiki/index.php/LeicaDMR
>
> Is this still the case or am I looking at an older listing?

The DMRA2 works with the Leica DMI adapter, not the DMR adapter.
See:  http://valelab.ucsf.edu/~nico/MMwiki/index.php/LeicaDMI

Re: Problems with Leica DMRA2

S. Pagakis
Dear Nico

I tried the DMI adapter but I am getting the error

Code:22
Scope: Error code 10012 (271c Hex).

Any suggestions what this might mean?

Thank you

S. Pagakis

On Dec 18, 2009, at 5:45 PM, Nico Stuurman wrote:

>> In trying to make the Leica DMRA2 talk to uM (and failing), I saw in
>> the site that although DMRs ARE supported, DMRA2 is not.
>>
>> https://valelab.ucsf.edu/~nico/MMwiki/index.php/LeicaDMR
>>
>> Is this still the case or am I looking at an older listing?
>
> The DMRA2 works with the Leica DMI adapter, not the DMR adapter.
> See:  http://valelab.ucsf.edu/~nico/MMwiki/index.php/LeicaDMI
>

> Best,
>
> Nico

> A streamlined, 14 day to market process makes app distribution fast
> and easy
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/verizon-dev2dev

Re: Problems with Leica DMRA2

Nico Stuurman
Administrator
I tried the DMI adapter but I am getting the error

Code:22
Scope: Error code 10012 (271c Hex).

Any suggestions what this might mean?

#define ERR_SCOPE_NOT_ACTIVE 10012

In this case, it most likely means that the software cannot communicate with your microscope.

Please have a look at the FAQ:

and send us the information needed to help you trouble shoot this problem.

Re: Problems with Leica Hardware (DMRA2 and DFC Cameras)

Nigmor
How exactly did you get the Leica camera to work?

I have a similar set up and the same problems.

Re: Problems with Leica Hardware (DMRA2 and DFC Cameras)

Nigmor
I have a DMIRE2, run through a Leica microscope controller box. The xy stage and others are connected through the serial ports COM1 (microscope) and COM2 (stage controller). I had COM port erorrs, TWAIN camera errors and scope initialisation errors (same as yours).

I want to use uManager because of the (hopefully) better xy stage control as the leica software is limited.

Here are the relevant de-bugs from starting up through CMD in win2000 SP4.

DBG(744, t:748:) Device COM1 debug message: Serial port COM1 wrote: 70001
DBG(744, t:748:) Device COM1 debug message:  Port: COM1.Read: 70001 DMIRE2 70 71
 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 86
DBG(744, t:748:) Device COM1 debug message: Serial port COM1 wrote: 70002
DBG(744, t:748:) Device COM1 debug message:  Port: COM1.Read: 70002 MAST_DM.HEX
V01.33
DBG(744, t:748:) Device COM1 debug message: Serial port COM1 wrote: 70026
DBG(744, t:748:) Device COM1 debug message:  Port: COM1.Read: 70926
LOG(Fri Jan 22 2010 16:11:43.468000, 744, 748:): Error occured. Device Scope. Sc
ope. Error code 10012 (271c hex).
, file .\MMCore.cpp, line 718
LOG(Fri Jan 22 2010 16:11:43.468000, 744, 748:): Auto shutter ON.
DBG(744, t:748:) Property set: device=Core, name=AutoShutter, value=1

Re: [micro-manager-general] Problems with Leica Hardware (DMRA2 and DFC Cameras)

Nico Stuurman-4
Hi Nigmor,

> I have a DMIRE2, run through a Leica microscope controller box. The
> xy stage
> and others are connected through the serial ports COM1 (microscope)
> and COM2
> (stage controller). I had COM port erorrs, TWAIN camera errors and
> scope
> initialisation errors (same as yours).
>
> Here are the relevant de-bugs from starting up through CMD in
> win2000 SP4.
>
> DBG(744, t:748:) Device COM1 debug message: Serial port COM1 wrote:
> 70001
> DBG(744, t:748:) Device COM1 debug message:  Port: COM1.Read: 70001
> DMIRE2
> 70 71
> 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 86
> DBG(744, t:748:) Device COM1 debug message: Serial port COM1 wrote:
> 70002
> DBG(744, t:748:) Device COM1 debug message:  Port: COM1.Read: 70002
> MAST_DM.HEX
> V01.33
> DBG(744, t:748:) Device COM1 debug message: Serial port COM1 wrote:
> 70026
> DBG(744, t:748:) Device COM1 debug message:  Port: COM1.Read: 70926
> LOG(Fri Jan 22 2010 16:11:43.468000, 744, 748:): Error occured. Device

That must be with Micro-manager version 1.3.41!  Try a later version
and see if you get further along.  Also, I am currently working with
Stamatis on a CTRMIC-based system, so you might also want to hold off
until that is resolved (as will be reported here).

B.t.w., if anyone could loan us such a system, then it would be a
whole lot easier to make this work!