Projector Plugin

Kelvin Cheung

Hi all

I am currently modifying our device adaptor code so that it can run a FRAP experiment by utilising the projector plugin in µManager 2.0 gamma. And I have a few questions:

1. The calibration in the projector plugin, is it device specific? Or universal for any galvo based photo targeting device? Our system is two-galvo based device.

2. Also, I have noticed in one of the older posts mentioned there are some timing issues between projector and camera. Has it been resolved in 2.0 gamma? If not, what exactly is the issue?

3. Can anyone provide simple instruction on how to run the FRAP experiment on µManger 2.0 gamma using the projector plugin?

4. Would it be possible to run our calibration process than using the calibration on projector plugin?

Kind Regards

Kelvin Cheung

  Software Engineer

   VisiTech International

   Unit 92, Silverbriar

   Sunderland Enterprise Park (East)

   Sunderland, SR5 2TQ

   www.visitech.co.uk

   Phone:  +44 (0) 191 516 6255

   Fax:       +44 (0) 191 516 6258

   Email:    [hidden email]

Re: Projector Plugin

Nico Stuurman-2
HI Kelvin,

> I am currently modifying our device adaptor code so that it can run a
> FRAP experiment by utilising the projector plugin in µManager 2.0 gamma.

Awesome!

> 1. The calibration in the projector plugin, is it device specific? Or
> universal for any galvo based photo targeting device? Our system is
> two-galvo based device.

It is universal for both galvo and SLM devices.  Once your device
implements the "Galvo" device, it should work with the Projector plugin.

> 2. Also, I have noticed in one of the older posts mentioned there are
> some timing issues between projector and camera. Has it been resolved
> in 2.0 gamma? If not, what exactly is the issue?

Timing issues are still a bit of a problem, but they have been worked
around by letting the user set a "delay" that is used in various places
in the code.  The fact this is so problematic means that the API is not
as well thought out as it should.  For instance, the code has no way to
find out if a projection devices has arrived at the position it was set
to go.  Also, some projection devices include illumination control (the
RAPP photo-bleacher that we have is one such device) and may not give
feedback about when exactly they illuminate the sample.

> 3. Can anyone provide simple instruction on how to run the FRAP
> experiment on µManger 2.0 gamma using the projector plugin?

This is going to be a bit challenging, since the procedure will be
somewhat different for each projection device.  Nevertheless, this is a
good prompt to update the Projector plugin documentation
(https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Projector).  I'll see if I can get to it
before the holidays.

> 4. Would it be possible to run our calibration process than using the
> calibration on projector plugin?

and use that calibration in the projector plugin?  That is technically
possible, but may be challenging to implement.  The Projector plugin
stores multiple affine transforms, one for each sub-section of the
image, so you would need to re-create all these affine transforms.  Is
the reason you would like to do this that the Projector plugin
calibration does not work for you?  With the right sample, it is working
quite well for us, both with galvo and SLM based devices.

Re: Projector Plugin

Kelvin Cheung
Dear Nico,

Thank you so much for your quick response!
µManager is one of the most widely used microscopy software by our
customers, and we are very excited about introducing new features on our
device adaptor. It would be great if you can update the projector plugin
documentation before the holidays. Not only it will help us to test the
latest version of our device adaptor for frap and calibration, but also
provide updated guidance for anyone from the community or user who wishes to
use the projector plugin.