Q: configuration help

Andrew Resnick-2
All,

I tried searching through the FAQ and discussion board, but did not
find a similar question:

I am trying to install MicroManager in order to perform ratiomatric
Fura-2 imaging. I have (installed and running) a Leica DM6000
microscope, a Prior ProScan II controller, controlling both the XY
stage and a Prior Lumen 2000 Pro light source, and a QImaging Rolera
MGI camera.  Both the Leica and the Prior controller boxes are
plugged into USB ports (one port for the Leica, one for the Prior
Proscan II) and the QImaging camera is plugged into an IEEE 1394 card
.  Also plugged into the firewire card is a Point Grey Research
'Flea' camera, but I don't need to worry about that now. I am running
Windows XP and have installed MicroManager 1.3.

I don't understand how work the Configuration Wizard.  Nothing is
plugged into a COM port (?).  Any time I try and set a COM port
address, I get an error '22', even though I can control all of the
devices properly using the manufacturer's software. Also, I can't
quite figure out which USB port corresponds to the Leica or the
Prior- my hardware manager lists about 10 USB ports.  Ditto the
QImaging camera/IEEE 1394 card, except there I get an error
'8'.  Does uM not work with USB ports?

Any assistance would be most appreciated, thanks.

Andy

Andrew Resnick, Ph. D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Physics
Cleveland State University
216-687-2437

Re: [micro-manager-general] Q: configuration help

Nico Stuurman
Administrator
Hi Andrew,

> I have (installed and running) a Leica DM6000
> microscope, a Prior ProScan II controller, controlling both the XY
> stage and a Prior Lumen 2000 Pro light source, and a QImaging Rolera
> MGI camera.  Both the Leica and the Prior controller boxes are
> plugged into USB ports (one port for the Leica, one for the Prior
> Proscan II) and the QImaging camera is plugged into an IEEE 1394 card
>
> I don't understand how work the Configuration Wizard.  Nothing is
> plugged into a COM port (?).  Any time I try and set a COM port
> address, I get an error '22', even though I can control all of the
> devices properly using the manufacturer's software. Also, I can't
> quite figure out which USB port corresponds to the Leica or the
> Prior- my hardware manager lists about 10 USB ports.

In general, the Micro-Manager wiki is a good source for device-specific information ( https://valelab.ucsf.edu/~nico/MMwiki/index.php/Device_Support ).

The wiki page on the LeicaDMI explains that the Leica microscope uses a "virtual COM" port, i.e., it has a USB to serial converter build-in.  You will have to figure out which of the COM ports is the correct one (you can check this by starting the Hardware Configuration Wizard with and without the USB cable to the microscope plugged in), and you will need to set up this virtual COM port correctly (which mainly involves setting the baudrate to 19200).

The Prior Proscan controller does the same thing.  Once you install a driver it will add a "USB-HID->COM port.  Unplug the USB controller to see which virtual COM port it occupies.

> Ditto the QImaging camera/IEEE 1394 card, except there I get an error '8'.

That error indicated that the Micro-Manager QImaging adapter code failed to load.  This can be caused by the absence of a compatible driver for the QImaging camera.  Which driver (version) have you installed, and with what other software can you get images from this camera?

Snow Leopard

otills
Hi, can I just confirm that MicroManager and Image J (and the FirewireB adapter) are all Snow Leopard compatible?

Many thanks, Oli

Re: [micro-manager-general] Snow Leopard

Nico Stuurman-4
Hi Oliver,

> Hi, can I just confirm that MicroManager and Image J (and the
> FirewireB adapter) are all Snow Leopard compatible?

ImageJ and Micro-Manager will run on it (Micro-Manager is now
distributed as a Universal Binary that includes 64 bit support), so
you could run it as 32 bits, or 64 bits.  Equipment with drivers will
likely have more trouble with 64 bit support (the driver will need to
support this as well).  Our first tests with Firewire 800 were not
encouraging, but this will completely depend on the exact equipment
that you intend to use.

Re: [micro-manager-general] Snow Leopard

otills
Hi Nico, I will be trying to run an AVT Pike 404 at ~ 10 fps together with an Optiscan stage.

Does this sound feasible? I was going for a Mac as it sounds like the firewire adapter is better with Image J.

Oli