Questions for writing a device adapter

Fei Zhao

Hi,

I'm trying to write a device adapter for a stage controller. I'm really new about programming and this is my first time trying to write a device adapter. I am following the instructions on the micro-manger website however the information on "Building MM on Windows " and "Visual Studio Project Settings for device adapter" has not been updated since 2013.

Can someone tell me me what version of visual studio is used now to write a device adapter? Should I still follow the instructions on the website "Visual Studio Project Settings for device adapter", on which Visual Studio 2010 Express is used.

Thank you for your help,

Helen

Re: Questions for writing a device adapter

P.Almada
Hi,

You can use the latest Windows SDK for your operating system (windows 7 or 10) and Visual Studio 2017. When you open the project files that are included with the micro-manager source code, Visual Studio will ask you to change the "Windows SDK Version" and the "Platform toolset" automatically. Just choose the options that correspond to the SDK you have installed (should be obvious on the dropdown).

When creating a device adapter project, add the MMCommon and MMDeviceAdapter property files present in <source code location>\micro-manager1.4\buildscripts\VisualStudio.

Best of luck,
Pedro

On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 at 11:39, Fei Zhao <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to write a device adapter for a stage controller. I'm really new about programming and this is my first time trying to write a device adapter. I am following the instructions on the micro-manger website however the information on "Building MM on Windows " and "Visual Studio Project Settings for device adapter" has not been updated since 2013.

Can someone tell me me what version of visual studio is used now to write a device adapter? Should I still follow the instructions on the website "Visual Studio Project Settings for device adapter", on which Visual Studio 2010 Express is used.

Thank you for your help,

Helen

Re: Questions for writing a device adapter

Kyle Douglass-2
Hi Helen,

Can someone tell me me what version of visual studio is used now to write a device adapter? Should I still follow the instructions on the website "Visual Studio Project Settings for device adapter", on which Visual Studio 2010 Express is used.

I've had the best luck with Visual Studio 2017 since it will manage some dependencies for you and the way it retargets the Micro-Manager solution file for newer versions of Windows has been less buggy for me than VS 2015. Furthermore, I honestly can't find a copy of VS 2010 anymore. I put my notes on building both the MM core components and device adapters in newer versions of VS here: https://github.com/kmdouglass/mm-kmd/blob/master/Notes/micro-manager_windows_build.md

There is also a useful post on how someone compiled MM for Windows 10 using VS 2015 here: http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/Building-Device-Adapters-on-Windows-10-with-Visual-Studio-2015-Community-td7587098.html#none

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
Kyle