RAMPS device adapter - variable movement

RAMPS device adapter - variable movement

Nikita Vladimirov
Hi, Volko,

Did you manage to solve the non-reproducible moving via adjusting the
controller current?

Regarding the strange behavior about 5-um steps, your problems suggest
that either

a) my github DLL is outdated. Please, try my latest compiled DLL here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9aacj3ztp3ebfbc/mmgr_dal_RAMPS.dll?dl=0. This
is the latest one I used for measurements, with better than 1 um precision.

b) there are some more bugs in the RAMPS Adapter, which I haven't fixed.

I suggest you first test my latest DLL using the link above. If the
problem persists, you probably need to dive into the adapter C++ code,
try to find the bug and recompile the DLL. And don't forget to share it :)

Nikita

Re: RAMPS device adapter - variable movement

Straub, Volko A. (Dr.)
Thanks Nikita,

I just tried your latest RAMPS.dll (following your link) and it appears to solve the issue with the reported movements in the Z axis. Using your latest RAMPS.dll, I can move the focus drive in steps of less than 5 um and there no issues/odd behaviour when it changes to negative values. Based on my experience, I would definitely support to include your version of the RAMPS device adapter in the standard Micromanager distribution.

I also managed to resolve the variable step sizes in the X and Y direction. As you suggested, I slightly increased the motor current. When I disassembled the stage, I also noticed that the stage bearings appeared a bit jumpy. So, I stripped down the whole stage, cleaned and re-lubricated everything (probably something I should have done a while ago seeing that the stage is over 10 years old). Following all of this the movement reproducibility is now pretty good in all axes (I would say as good as with the old controller).

Unfortunately, I still have to use the Sprinter firmware for the RAMPS board as I can't get it to work with the Marlin firmware. This is not a big deal, but the Sprinter firmware doesn't appear to include support for the max limit switches. So, I have to use the software maximum limits, which only really works if the stage is 'homed' when Micromanager is started (as Micromanager resets the XY coordinates to zero at start up/when a configuration file is loaded).

Otherwise, all good and I am very happy with my cheap RAMPS stage controller.

Thanks for your help,

https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dropbox.com%2Fs%2F9aacj3ztp3ebfbc%2Fmmgr_dal_RAMPS.dll%3Fdl%3D0&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cvs64%40leicester.ac.uk%7C2ed710739f2a4cdd645e08d72bc76c47%7Caebecd6a31d44b0195ce8274afe853d9%7C0%7C0%7C637026007824645208&amp;sdata=DpFqAKA6GBn9gIDO3bGFXufdKtlVVYMsByr0MjT9wCo%3D&amp;reserved=0. This is the latest one I used for measurements, with better than 1 um precision.

https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.sourceforge.net%2Flists%2Flistinfo%2Fmicro-manager-general&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cvs64%40leicester.ac.uk%7C2ed710739f2a4cdd645e08d72bc76c47%7Caebecd6a31d44b0195ce8274afe853d9%7C0%7C0%7C637026007824645208&amp;sdata=c%2FXKd1OxGYGTBXYGmTHwmdWtuxB9OrMgWI2ndntGCCo%3D&amp;reserved=0