Re: Can m-m control two parallel ports separately?

Re: Can m-m control two parallel ports separately?

dpoburko
Hi folks,

    I've been using the parallel port control in micro-manager to send
out TTL/5V signals during my experiments. In the hopes of expanding this
capability, I installed a PCI-card parallel port. It seems to be working
fine from Windows XP's point of view, but I'm not having much luck
getting micro-manager to toggle the voltages across pins 2-9. This made
me wonder if perhaps micro-manager is only able to control LPT1 (as
listed in the devices list), and how hard it would be to add another LTP
(i.e. LPT2 or LPT3)? Just wondering if anyone has had success
controlling multiple parallel ports, or if the good folks at m-m could
offer a definitive word?

Thanks,
Damon Poburko

Re: Can m-m control two parallel ports separately?

Hoover, Karl
Hi Damon,

The current MM implementation is hard-coded to use only LPT1. It is possible and probably not difficult to make this more flexible but it is not in our list of priorities here. Our recommendation is to by a supported, low-cost I/O board.

Best Regards,
Karl Hoover

Re: Can m-m control two parallel ports separately?

Nico Stuurman
>  This made
> me wonder if perhaps micro-manager is only able to control LPT1 (as
> listed in the devices list), and how hard it would be to add another LTP
> (i.e. LPT2 or LPT3)?

The code only works with LPT1 and it will be hard to make it work with other parallel ports.  Please use instead a device such as the Arduino to generate TTLs.  This device can be used cross-platform, and a variant exists (Arduino Mega) that has 54 IO pins (if there is enough interest, I'll write the code to access those pins).

Re: Can m-m control two parallel ports separately?

dpoburko
Nico & Karl,

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up. I'll have a look into the Arduinos.

Tx,
Damon