Re: Micro-Manager - stage control

Stuurman, Nico
Hi Carlos,

Hope you don't mind me posting this to the mailing list.  It would be a
pity to keep this private.

> I'm about to start doing the stage control software, if needed.
> I was thinking about using an arduino, serial over USB for control of a
> couple of steppers which should roughly give me 5um/step on X/Y.
>
> Is there a standard "code" (like gcode for CNC) or every one uses its own ?
> Any advise before I make initial decisions is more than welcome!

There is the "CNCMicroscope" device adapter (which confusingly, is
called RAMPS at run-time), written by David Konerding.  His code is on
github: https://github.com/google/cncmicroscope-code.  The device
adapter is included in the source code.  There was some discussion about
it on this mailing list:
http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/Re-RAMPS-Problem-DavidA-Moore-td7589966.html

I have not worked with it myself, and I can not oversee whether or not
this is easier/better than "rolling your own".

Micro-Manager - stage control

tron
Thanks again, Nico.
FTR, I ended up using an Arduino Uno running GRBL 1.1 (modified), and
interfacing with the RAMPS stage control.

Here a pic of the first prototype:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kilo504smhhm6wq/Drive_0.jpg

The RAMPS driver assumes a Sprinter (https://reprap.org/wiki/Sprinter)
CNC controller and uses some GCode (CNC control language, see
https://millrightcnc.com/2018/07/gcodeintro) that GRBL controller
(https://github.com/grbl/grbl) does not support
(https://reprap.org/wiki/G-code).

So I decided to "fix" GRBL with fakes to use uM gamma unmodified.
(Not a big deal, most commands were not really important IMHO, such as
changing the speed of moves)
This, BTW, may be the reason some people have issues using Marlin (yet
another CNC controller) with the RAMPS driver.
GRBL is the only driver that fits the Arduino UNO I had, complemented
with a CNC shield and a couple of A4998 stepper drivers.

The drive uses 2 steppers with 200 step resolution and 1/4 microstep,
coupled with a 1:30 reduction gives near 2 uM microsteps, not bad for a
DIY stage control under $50. (IX83 manual stage has 40mm/rev on X and
25mm/rev on Y axis)

3d openscad files of legs, trolley and gears compatible with an IX83
available if someone wants them.

-Carlos

Stuurman, Nico @ 14/06/2019 17:01 -0300 dixit:

--
Carlos G Mendioroz  <[hidden email]>

Carlos G Mendioroz

Re: Micro-Manager - stage control

Loumarx
I am definitely considering doing something like this for a manual scope, and
this is one the cleanest setups I've seen (there are a couple around).

Would you consider publishing the whole project? TY

Re: Micro-Manager - stage control

tron
Thanks.
Sure, no problem. I'm trying to see how to jog the stage manually, it
seems like a show stopper if not addressed. (The system is not meant to
be detacched easily and manual command is not possible after setting it up).
That can be made at the controller level (using some more hardware) or
at uM. I was just reviewing prior threads...

-Carlos

Loumarx @ 13/07/2019 09:52 -0300 dixit:

Carlos G Mendioroz

Re: Micro-Manager - stage control

Loumarx
Is this project of any help? I don't think it has uM integration, but the
stage controller is neat :)

https://www.instructables.com/id/Motorized-Microscope-Stage-for-Olympus-IX50/

Re: Micro-Manager - stage control

Gryphon
Really neat. Are characteristics of the stage published somewhere?

Re: Micro-Manager - stage control

Loumarx
I believe that is the original IX50 manual stage, in which the manual knobs
were fully replaced by custom made movement axes.

Re: Micro-Manager - stage control

tron
FTR, I ended up leveraging the jogging capability of GRBL and using a
second arduino to "manually" control the stage by inserting jog commands.

The actual control is, for the time being, an old 3 button mouse whose
buttons are used to move in different directions in 4 modes: X, X fast,
Y , Y fast. Center button cycles mode.

We'll see if i users like it and find it ok, or else...