Re: Micromanager fails to open (on Windows Vista x86)

Re: Micromanager fails to open (on Windows Vista x86)

Hoover, Karl
Hi Raha,

We have not fully supported Vista. It is possible to run µManager on Vista, but Windows XP or Windows 7 (or OS X or Ubuntu) are better choices. Does your user account have full access to the directory in which you've installed µManager? Previous versions of µManager always tried to create  the corelog.txt in the 'current' directory. If, for example, the program is installed in Program Files, then an ordinary user will not have write access to that directory. Previous versions  µManager will fail upon attempting to create corelog.txt  The latest build of µManager:
https://valelab.ucsf.edu/~MM/nightlyBuilds/1.3/Windows/MMSetup_1.3.45_20100224.exe
 will first attempt to create the log in the 'curren't directory, but upon failing that will create the log in the path pointed to by HOMEPATH, e.g. \Documents and Settings\Raha

William Noderer mentioned that he fixed a similar problem by installing into his 'my documents' folder. Have you tried that? When you reach the point where ImageJ launches, does Micro-Manager appear in the  list of ImageJ plugins? Do you see an access error from ImageJ on shutdown, when it discovers that it can't over-write the IJ_Prefs.txt file? If so, please try installing ImageJ where it does have write access.

Failing all this, try running µManager from the command line as follows:

1. Start a command prompt (run cmd.exe)
2. Change to the drive where you've installed µManager
3. cd <path where you've installed µManager>
4. java -Xmx600m -cp ij.jar ij.ImageJ

Tell us what you see there.

Best Regards,
Karl Hoover