Re: suggestions needed - shuttering via TTLs on multiple BNCs

Re: suggestions needed - shuttering via TTLs on multiple BNCs

dpoburko
Hi All,

  I am trying to rig up a scope using a Solarmere DX-1000 as my light source/wavelength selection. Effectively, the DX-1000 will take a TTL/BNC input to trigger either of two galvo mirrors that effectively act as shutters, where each galvo controls a different light path. I am trying to think up a simple means to connect the BNCs to serial or parallel ports such that I can get micromanager to trigger a TTL pulse on one of 1-4 channels (i.e. parallel pins, etc) in synchronization with image acquisition. In my mind, this would physically by like choosing one of two shutters to acquire with rather than one of two positions on a filter wheel followed by a separate shutter. I am familiar with the parallel port adapter, but am having troubles dreaming up how i might sync a call to the parallel port with image acquisition.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tx,
Damon

--
NSERC post-doctoral fellow

Damon Poburko, PhD
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Stanford University School of Medicine
Dept. of Molecular & Cellular Physiology
279 Campus Dr., Beckman B103, Stanford, CA 94305
Ph: 650 725 7564, fax: 650 725 8021

Re: suggestions needed - shuttering via TTLs on multiple BNCs

Nico Stuurman
Administrator
Hi Damon,

>   I am trying to rig up a scope using a Solarmere DX-1000 as my light source/wavelength selection. Effectively, the DX-1000 will take a TTL/BNC input to trigger either of two galvo mirrors that effectively act as shutters, where each galvo controls a different light path. I am trying to think up a simple means to connect the BNCs to serial or parallel ports such that I can get micromanager to trigger a TTL pulse on one of 1-4 channels (i.e. parallel pins, etc) in synchronization with image acquisition. In my mind, this would physically by like choosing one of two shutters to acquire with rather than one of two positions on a filter wheel followed by a separate shutter. I am familiar with the parallel port adapter, but am having troubles dreaming up how i might sync a call to the parallel port with image acquisition.

The Parallel port adapter contains a device with the description "Printer port TTLs used as shutters".  That sounds exactly like what you are asking for.

A more general solution is to use one of the many other digital output solutions (Velleman boards, DataTranslation boards, Arduino).

Re: suggestions needed - shuttering via TTLs on multiple BNCs

dpoburko
Should have seen that. Gave it a whirl, and it seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Awesome.

Thanks Nico!,

Hi Damon,